• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rc51crazy
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

New Guy...New Gun

IMG_0630.jpgIMG_0631.jpgIMG_0633.jpgNew to the sight and thought i would share my build (sorta) .... First time 6.5 Grendel owner and builder. I do own a Diamondback AR in 5.56

Started with a Palmetto State MOE EPT Complete lower...simple, fast and a bargain. Then went looking for an upper in 6.5. A friend was building the same, but a whole lot higher priced than i could afford, so thought it would be easy enough to bargain build one. Found a guy in Florida who would assemble a complete upper to the specs i wanted, starting with one of his already complete uppers. Started with a Bear Creek heavy 20" Barrel, a mil-spec bolt, 15" Keymod Hand Guard (my favorite) and a Aero Precision upper. He added one of his Stainless Muzzle Brakes. He had it together and to me in about 10 days. Not to shabby for someone who builds them as they are ordered.

Got the complete upper and complete lower, put em together, added a Nikon Scope and went shooting the next weekend. Now please remember, this is my second AR and actually my first rifle with a scope. I've owned a SKS and Winchester 94 with iron sights, but nothing with a scope and can usually hit anything within 100 yards with them. Went through a lot of trouble getting the scope mounted and sighted in correctly...aka.. wrong mounts..installed incorrectly..junk bore sighter..my inexperience...the list goes on and on. Finally i got a little help (yep, stubborn ol' man) and got it close.

Well today (july 4th) i went to the range and started shooting..got it zeroed in at 100 yards and put three rounds within 1 inch of each other. ..all three holes touch the edges of a nickel. Couldn't be any happier. Now if i can just repeat the the pattern.

I'd add some pics...but can't seem to get them small enough for the forum. Will try again later.
    Last edited by rc51crazy; 07-04-2018, 11:58 PM. Reason: adding pics
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Welcome from the Republic of Texas. I downloaded a free pic converter to handle the pics and save em to a separate file. SharetoResize is the name but there are others.

Comment

• shooter545
      Warrior
      • Aug 2012

Welcome and you are off to a good start. Be forewarned though these 6.5 Gs will multiply like rabbits on you. I started out with a used AA upper and now have 4 complete rifles. It may be one of the most underrated calibers in the small frame AR platform.

Good shooting!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
        X