• Show
Clear All
  • Snarf
    Bloodstained
    • May 2019

Fixed my .224 Valkyrie Upper...

...by installing a 16" Faxon 6.5 Grendel Barrel
    Untitled.jpg

Bedded the barrel to the upper and gas block (fun fact, this Faxon barrel does not have the set screw dimples I've become accustomed to. Not a huge problem). New York only allows unthreaded barrels so the thread protector is also installed with Permatex. That is not the method they proscribe but I challenge anyone to get that sucker off of there without heat.

Shot some ladders with 123 ELD's, here's what I found at the end of one
    Untitled (1).jpg

28.5 gr Varget gave me 2360 fps, 13.2 SD. The flier shot was partly me and partly a velocity outlier as well
  • 6.5Geo
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Very nice rig. What issues did you have with the Val barrel?
    Live free or die trying!

Comment

• Snarf
      Bloodstained
      • May 2019

Originally posted by 6.5Geo View Post
      ...What issues did you have with the Val barrel?
      It was chambered in .224 Valkyrie that was the main issue I had. For a <$400 PSA upper it shot very well, sometimes sub-MOA with the $13 American Eagle. But I wanted bigger holes and smaller guns and within a week of getting into Grendel I had basically decided to ditch that caliber. Shooting a 75- 85 grain bullet at 3K fps is not that interesting to me, and the heavier bullets had problems from what I understood. Plus that it would not be good at killing things, I wouldn't feel right shooting a deer with any .22 caliber (even though I know for a fact any of them will work)

Comment

Working...
      X