• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Home Defense Grendel

Flash hider came in recently and I finally completed my vision of a home defense weapon.
    Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I like it! I’d probably have a sling handy but unless you train with a sling it might get in the way on a home defense weapon.

I use a 1.25 inch two point sling with quick disconnect swivels. Being right handed I put the front sling swivel on the left side of the front hand guard and the rear swivel on the right rear on the stock or brace. This positioning permits weak side shooting plus allows weapon to be carried in the assualt position or slung across your back in the event you need to use both hands.

Here is a photo of my 12 inch 6.5 Grendel with a sling. This is my travel companion these days when I’m on the road away from home. This 6.5 Grendel usually wears a tactical light but it’s not in this picture.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-10-2019, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

Any thoughts on ammo/loads for self/home defense?
      I'm leaning toward a 120 Gold dot load, but would you want low, medium or high velocity for it? (enough penetration vs. over penetration)
      I have checked out a couple of the threads on the forum about this but would like more opinions if possible.

Comment

• justinspicher
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2019

I’m just curious to hear why you chose a Grendel for home defense.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

After DNS results with Federal 90 grain TNT ammo I’d be tempted to use that in a more built up area. In my rural location under my personal situation I’m using 123 grain A-Max or 123 grain ELD-M.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Justin: I think any AR cartridge is fine for home defense, as long as you're OK with the mag capacity. One could argue 30 rounds of 5.56 is better than 25 rounds of 6.5 Grendel. For me, 6.5 Grendel is what I know and like and I'm set up to use it beyond home defense, and I'm OK with 25 rounds.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
              Flash hider came in recently and I finally completed my vision of a home defense weapon.
              Nice build. It has a unique look. I especially like the slick-side upper. (I too often got skinned knuckles from the forward assist on my AR's.)

But, unless one lives in a B-52 hangar or a sports arena, I don't understand the choice of an unsuppressed, rifle-caliber SBR for indoor use.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                Nice build. It has a unique look. I especially like the slick-side upper. (I too often got skinned knuckles from the forward assist on my AR's.)

But, unless one lives in a B-52 hangar or a sports arena, I don't understand the choice of an unsuppressed, rifle-caliber SBR for indoor use.
                Yo Stan:

Shoot a very short barrel carbine, with a muzzle brake, inside a room, without ear and eye pro. If someone is trying to do you harm, he will be blinded, made deaf, and will get blasted with anything not nailed down. Problem is so will the shooter with the exception of getting shot.

I have a JP Grendel upper with a Gill brake and shooting it outdoors under a cover gives new meaning to double ear pro, eye pro, gloves, and long sleeved shirts. And not having anything loose left or right of the muzzle for about fifteen feet. I bet if I let go a round or two inside a room that it would blow the windows out, shatter any glass to the sides, shred curtains or blinds, and make me deaf. Surprising just how much overpressure is created by one of those things. Kind of reminds me of a 90 or 106 RR.

LR55

Comment

• justinspicher
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2019

Justin: I think any AR cartridge is fine for home defense, as long as you're OK with the mag capacity. One could argue 30 rounds of 5.56 is better than 25 rounds of 6.5 Grendel. For me, 6.5 Grendel is what I know and like and I'm set up to use it beyond home defense, and I'm OK with 25 rounds.
                  I’m not judging you by any means. I am a huge fan of the AR and it’s different cartridge options, so I feel they are capable of anything a person wants to use it for. I just like to hear thoughts from the folks who are using it as to what made them come to their decision. Sometimes it’s budget, sometimes it’s experience, but most of the time it’s because they can. No matter how you look at it, it’s their choice.

Comment

• Glockpride
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2018

5.56 or 6.5G inside the house or across room distances ain’t gonna matter. I typically have an AR pistol handy in 5.56 but would not feel outgunned with the 6.5G AR pistol.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Roger that on not WANTING to unleash rounds inside the house. My thoughts: 1) I THINK I want a suppressor — when I can afford one. (Minnesota legalized suppressors in 2015.) From what I read, suppressors don't reduce the decibels THAT much, and — again — indoors the problem is accentuated. But when the time comes, I will research the issue more closely and decide if it's worth it. 2) Until then, and in the very rare chance I actually have some kind of incident, I'm willing to trade my hearing for my life.

Comment

• Glockpride
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2018

Roger that on not WANTING to unleash rounds inside the house. My thoughts: 1) I THINK I want a suppressor — when I can afford one. (Minnesota legalized suppressors in 2015.) From what I read, suppressors don't reduce the decibels THAT much, and — again — indoors the problem is accentuated. But when the time comes, I will research the issue more closely and decide if it's worth it. 2) Until then, and in the very rare chance I actually have some kind of incident, I'm willing to trade my hearing for my life.
                        A couple of points: yes, suppressors can help! OSHA considers hearing safe at 140 dB on impact noises. If you’re 160 and get a 20 dB drop, then that helps a lot. Remember, every 3 dB is a doubling of the sound pressure, so lowering is good.
                        2) grab a pair of ear muffs and set them on your nightstand. When/if needed, slip them on. Active listening are best and may help increase your hearing while better protecting, but even standard would be better inside than nothing.

Comment

• rickOshay
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2012

Nice!! Now go get it dirty!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

GP, good info. Thanks!

Comment

• Lastrites
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

I like it, tell me more about that red dot, hadn't heard of that one before, looks a whole lot like the vortex ar-sparc.

Comment

Working...
                              X