• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Badwqlf
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2020

First post, First AR Pistol, First Grendel

Howdy, my first post, my first Grendel and my first AR. I've had a Saiga AK for years. PSA had one in stock so snagged it and arrived in the last 3 weeks. I haven't had time to take it out to the range since receiving it.
    Wanted a good all-around truck gun that would serve me well between 0-300 yds but allow me to reach out past that if need be.

Pretty basic PSA 12" Grendel AR Pistol. Overall, i'm happy with what I have so far but there are a number of improvements, I'm looking to make. But for now, this is what I'm running:
    • 12" PSA AR Pistol
    • Single-Stage, Enhanced Polished Trigger (EPT)
    • SBA3 Adjustable Brace
    • Olight Odin
    • Strike Industries Link Curved Foregrip
    • LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 1.93" VFZ Mount LT135 for 34" Rings
    • Burris XTR II 1.5-8 DFP scope with 5.56 BDC Reticle
    • Burris XTR II Scope throw lever
    • Duramag 28rd 6.8SPC mags.

20200909_115757.jpg

Hoping to make some changes as it's a bit beefy but it works well for now. My offset irons are on the way.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Nice. Looking forward to range reports.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Badwqlf
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2020

Thanks for that heads-up. I'll be honest that didn't even cross my mind. i'm heading to a range this Sat/Sun so I'll def make sure to take it with me.

Comment

• Old18C
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2019

Good looking set up, keep us posted on how it shoots. I have almost the almost same thing and it shoots great even with wolf.

Comment

• Badwqlf
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2020

Follow-up from Range Day

So I was able to take the gun out to an indoor 100yd range to test out the rifle and try to zero my scope. Ran into a few issues that played some havoc with my test but to no fault of the rifle but I was still satisfied.

My lane #13 (if that is a clue), the lights were out at the 100yd distance for my lane so my target wasn't illuminated so was very difficult to see what I was aiming at. Halfway through my range time the string on the target retrieval mechanism snapped so I had to wait 20 or so minutes until they fixed it. And then I realized that I forgot my spotting scope and the range didn't have any available.

Anyway, Out of the box my PSA 12" Grendel Pistol performed flawlessly. I did not have to adjust the gas block at all. I had some minor issues zeroing my scope just because I couldn't see my shots. I would have to pull the target back and due to the target retrieval issues, many of my targets fell onto the floor. I was able to save these from my early attempts to zero.

This was shot at 100yds with mix of Wolf and Hornady Black.
            First shot.jpg

I shot 4 groups @ 100yds.

Group 1 was my first attempt to see where my scope was pointing (wolf ammo).
            Group 2 was my 2nd attempt to see where my adjustment put me (wolf ammo).
            Group 3 was my zero shot (hornady black). The one flyer was caused my me jerking the barrel. Inexperience with an AR and the gun rest I was using was not very stable.
            Group 4 was my attempt to shoot handheld at 8X using the RED DOT DONUT for my 1.5x (it's a dual Dual Plane Scope so I can turn on the red dot at 8x)

Below I tried shooting a magazine of Wolf Ammo using the 1.5x Red Dot Donut at 8X magnification. The 1.5 Red Dot Donut proved too large at 8x and obscured the target. The Red Donut was also too bright on a darkly lit 100yd lane.
            The groupings though aren't bad if low, which I blame on aiming too low with the red dot donut because I couldn't see the target and was having trouble figuring out the reticle. (Guess I should really sat down and read the manual).
            second.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy especially for my first time shooting an AR. AR Pistol worked flawlessly and I think I just need to sit down and learn my scope. I wish I could have had more time but had to leave because fixing of the lane too too much time. Going to try a different range or maybe try my luck again at this one. I know the groups or shots aren't that great but my eyes are old and honestly i'm not that experienced as a shooter but still happy with the rifle performance. My other shots were a lot closer shooting at 8x but I lost those targets when the range broke. The second picture is from before I left.

I should have my scope zeroed better by next week and expect the groups and be much closer. Overall, I am happy with the rifle. Not a single jam and every shot fired without issue. Still looks like I have a lot to learn.
            Last edited by Badwqlf; 09-21-2020, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

You have good reason to be happy with the results you got. It should only get better from here on out, especially when you find out the ammo/reloads it likes the best. I for one look forward to more range reports!

Comment

Working...
              X