Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseytheoutlawwales

The Grendel Build - slowly but surely

First off, quick apologies for the low-res iPhone images. When finally complete, I'll add some better shots, along with final dialed-in 500 yd and 1000 yd MOA images....

6.5-1.jpg6.5-2.jpg

Alexander Arms lower
    VLTOR MUR forged upper without forward assist
    BCM Carrier group
    BCM Tactical charging handle and latch
    Daniel Defense 12.0 Modular Float Rail
    VLTOR lowpro gas block
    Magpul PRI stock
    ERGO grip

Alexander Arms 24" bead blasted stainless steel match barrel
    WCI Brake/compensator.
    Alexander Arms bolt

As is plain to see, I am still lacking optics and my trigger group (still saving for those parts).

Regarding triggers, I am thinking the SSG will be my choice, or a Timney.
    (all opinions welcome)
    Also, wondering what folks think for the best optics choice for 750-1000 yards.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM.

Welcome to the Horde, looks like you've got an excellent start on your Grendel.

I have a Timney trigger in my Grendel, built it for hunting(200-400yds), 3.5lbs OK hunting trigger. If I was building a 750-1000yrd gun I wouldn't use the Timney. The trigger I have just doesn't have the nice clean crisp let-off you need for long range precision shooting. IMHO

Comment

• Joseytheoutlawwales

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
      Welcome to the Horde, looks like you've got an excellent start on your Grendel.

I have a Timney trigger in my Grendel, built it for hunting(200-400yds), 3.5lbs OK hunting trigger. If I was building a 750-1000yrd gun I wouldn't use the Timney. The trigger I have just doesn't have the nice clean crisp let-off you need for long range precision shooting. IMHO
      Thanks for the feedback.
      All my other builds thus far have been 5.56, and I really wanted the increased punch at distance.

Regarding your comment about a nice clean crisp let-off for longer range-- what trigger would you recommend in this regard?

I had looked at the Geisselle SSA, but curious what else might be out there?

Comment

I'm in the middle of my build an I went with a CMC ar15 Tactical trigger it is a drop in and is a 3.5lbs trigger pull.

Comment

The Geisselle has been highly recommended by others on board but I personally don't have any experience with it.

Someone with a Geisselle want to give your opinion?

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I have a Giesselle high speed national match and I'm very happy with it. My BIL has a SSA and its a very nice trigger as well. However, I think one of the best bang for the buck triggers on the market is the rock river 2 stage match. Very hard to tell the difference between it and other triggers I tried at 2 to 3 times the cost.
            Last edited by txgunner00; 02-20-2012, 05:28 AM.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
              The Geisselle has been highly recommended by others on board but I personally don't have any experience with it.

Someone with a Geisselle want to give your opinion?
              I have run just about every Geissele trigger they make ( minus the Super Dynamic series. they have the straight trigger) and I have also run the Rock River two stage match. If you are on a budget I would say the RR is excellent for the price however, I would reccommend the Geissele if your budget can swing it just for the workmanship and attention to detail the Geissele's offer. I am not sure what you are looking for. Two stage triggers feel good to me for my application but, having tried Geissele's Super Three Gun, I really liked the single stage of the trigger but, felt it was too light for me. The DMR trigger is really nice too and I own two of them but, I didn't care for the the forword placement of the trigger shoe. It sits a bit further forward than the standard AR trigger. Fully adjustable too! The only difference between the DMR, National Match, and Service Rifle triggers are the spring weight. An excellent trigger but, pricy at about $300. I run the Geissele SSA-E trigger in my Grendel and love it. The difference here between the SSA and SSA-E is spring wieght. The SSA-E is a bit lighter pull wise. Of course you can read all of this on Geissele's site http://geissele.com/index.aspx Hope maybe that helps and good luck with your trigger selection. There are a LOT of good ones out there.

Comment

Welcome. That build is coming along great.

Triggers: Geissele is the go-to company for triggers right now for precision guns. I have used many triggers, not all, but many triggers for the AR, and the Geissele is hard to beat. Only one I really haven't used yet is the AR-Gold trigger, but the Geissele is EDM'd, so you can't really get smoother than that.

Optics: For shooting out to 1000, a good 3-15x50+, or 4-16x50+ scope will fill the bill. It needs to be a quality tube, not Chinese or gun show type with yellow or red lenses, etc. You will also want lots of elevation travel to play with.

Depending on budget, go with a NightForce, or if that breaks the bill, go with a Vortex Viper PST in a 20 MOA mount. Those are my two recommendations off the top of my head. You're looking at $1600 and up for the NXS 3.5-15x50, and around $900 for the 4-16x50 Vortex Viper PST.

Comment

Working...
                X