• IlliniFan
    Unwashed
    • May 2022

12.5", 16", and 20" 6.5 Grendel ARs for Hog/Coyote Hunting

IMG_6994.JPGIMG_6992.JPG
  • IlliniFan
    Unwashed
    • May 2022

Last edited by IlliniFan; 05-13-2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

There's a man knows what he likes and has carefully built up his armory! Good stuff!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Ranchmanager
        Bloodstained
        • May 2022

IlliniFan

What type of tripod is that? What special adapters do you need? Looking for an option to use in pop up blind this season. Current Caldwell Field Pod is not stable enough.

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• IlliniFan
            Unwashed
            • May 2022

Originally posted by Ranchmanager View Post
            IlliniFan

What type of tripod is that? What special adapters do you need? Looking for an option to use in pop up blind this season. Current Caldwell Field Pod is not stable enough.

Thanks
            Chris
            Chris,

I have a few different tripods I've used/been using mainly for night hunting:

1) K700 AMT Aluminum Tripod with Reaper Grip. This was the first tripod I got, around $330 (kjrests.com and midwayusa have had sales a few times a year) to $399 retail. No special attachments needed and will hold any type/shape of rifle. I liked that it has a locking handle to keep the rifle pointed and locked in any desired position without moving due to wind, ect. There are options for arca swiss and picatinny rail mount attachment heads and carbon fiber tripod legs too. Great options that work well while keeping within a budget.

2) RRS SOAR TFCT-34L (Series 3, 4 Leg Sections, Long) with an Anvil-30 ballhead. This was the second tripod I purchased, around $1580 on rrssoar.com. Super lightweight and the Anvil-30 ballhead is really smooth and easy to control and lock in fast when ready to shoot. This is my favorite ballhead to operate. The Anvil-30 will work with an arca swiss plate or picatinny rail attachment. However, having 3 sections on each tripod leg for adjustment can get old quick. It does store nice and compact though. RRS does have other tripod options with fewer adjustments per leg which may have been more ideal for my use.

3) Two Vets QDT V2 ($615 on twovetssportinggoods.com) with the Two Vets 55mm dual tension ballhead with arca clamp ($215). This tripod has only one adjustment per leg, which is really nice. Fully collapsed, it is still plenty short enough to use when seated on a dove stool too. The ballhead is pretty good but not near as nice to operate as the Anvil-30, in my opinion. The legs are large in diameter on this model but I don't mind. Two Vets has some really nice options for quite a bit less money than RRS. The RRS is made in the USA and is top notch but it is expensive.

For the arca swiss ballhead attachments on my rifles I've been using the Magpul M-Lok Dovetail Adapter 2 Slot for RRS/ARCA Interface MAG1051 (appox. $40-45). Magpul makes a few longer options too but I've found the 2 slot to be plenty of real estate for my needs without adding extra weight to my rifles.

Comment

• Ranchmanager
              Bloodstained
              • May 2022

Thanks

Was looking for something that is stable so that I don't have to squeeze a bench into a pop up blind.

Comment

• spoxxter
                Unwashed
                • May 2020

Badass Setups!

I just finished my 20" 6.5G build and came across your post. I opted for a Faxon barrel, CGS Helios, IRay Bolt TH50-C, and Gunwerks Hunter Tripod. Funny how similar the build lists are down to the Aero, TriggerTech, SLR, JP, and Magpul parts. Great minds think alike! Anyway, how do you like the Pulsar Trail, Thermion, and Helion thermals? The Bolt TH50-C is my first thermal and I am super impressed so far, and I also really like the Pulsar Axion 2 XG35 LRF I picked up recently for spotting. How does the 6.5G sound with the Sandman S? I still haven't even shot mine yet and need to tune the gas and sight in. Good luck in the fields and woods!

Comment

• IlliniFan
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2022

Thanks, spoxxter.

When I started night hunting I purchased a Pulsar Digex N450 night vision scope. It was great but after having used thermal before on some guided hunts I was left wanting more so I got the Thermion 2 XP50 and the Helion 2 XP50 Pro. Both of those thermal units have been great. I quickly realized that more base magnification and some type of LRF would be helpful, especially in big fields. Also, it would be nice to have a buddy scope so I got a Trail 2 XQ50 LRF. The Trail 2 has been great too and I tend to use it the most. I haven't looked through a Bolt TH50-C in person but I bet it's really nice based on the videos I've seen. 3.5x base is nice too.

The 6.5 Grendel/Sandman S combo is decent. I'm waiting on a Nomad LT which should make a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X