• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iwottopq
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2022

My first and only...

Hello to all...
    This is my first and olly 6,5 Grendel...a CZ 527...she (is a girl!!!) is so beautifull...
    Attached Files
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• iwottopq
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2022

Hello to all.
      This morning I went to the shooting range to try the CZ 527 for the first time. The best group is the one in the photo. That's four shots...but the fifth one went out of photos...not bad but not good either. I used Sellier & Bellot 140 grain bullets. In my opinion not the best weight for this ammunition but they are the only ones I have found. I have to start reloading...The caliber is almost unknown in Italy. The primers are all flattened as in the photo. But the most serious thing is what happened to this shell when fired... cracked...
      Now I'll try to reload with lighter bullets, I have 139, 136, 123, 120 and 108 grains...we'll see. Unfortunately I have only in the N135...
      On to the next tests...
      Ciao
      NinoIMG_20230420_103218.jpgIMG_20230420_102945.jpgIMG_20230420_103027.jpg

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• iwottopq
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2022

Hello to all.
          The powders available in Italy are few, very expensive and almost unobtainable. HGo intend to use the N135 for lighter bullets, under 140 grains. As long as there is powd...
          Ciao
          Nino

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Is that large rifle primer brass?

N135 is a really fast-burning powder more ideal for 100gr or less.

If you shoot 123gr, try N530.

Like VASCAR mentioned, I would use N540 for the heavier bullets.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• iwottopq
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2022

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Is that large rifle primer brass?

N135 is a really fast-burning powder more ideal for 100gr or less.

If you shoot 123gr, try N530.

Like VASCAR mentioned, I would use N540 for the heavier bullets.
              Hello to all.
              Yes, they are large primer cases. As I said most powders are very hard to find. The N135 is what I have left of a pack of 1 kg. The N133 is not imported as well as the N120. There is just a little bit of N110 but always with difficulty. I will try to use lighter bullets...
              Ciao
              Nino

Comment

• Glockpride
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Nino,

Do you have a chronograph?

140gn is super heavy for this compact calibre, and marrying it with N135 is way too fast. You can shoot 140 in Grendel, but even with a better suited powder it will be slow and with a rainbow trajectory. The lighter weights work well: 95-123gn.

I have not used VV but 530 and 540 appear to be the optimum powders, both on their website and when looking at equivalents. It's a pity VV does not post pressures with their 24" test barrel.

Very nice looking rifle - what do you plan on shooting?

Comment

• iwottopq
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2022

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    Nino,

Do you have a chronograph?

140gn is super heavy for this compact calibre, and marrying it with N135 is way too fast. You can shoot 140 in Grendel, but even with a better suited powder it will be slow and with a rainbow trajectory. The lighter weights work well: 95-123gn.

I have not used VV but 530 and 540 appear to be the optimum powders, both on their website and when looking at equivalents. It's a pity VV does not post pressures with their 24" test barrel.

Very nice looking rifle - what do you plan on shooting?
                    Hi Klem.
                    This morning I went back to the range and tried some reloads made with S. & B cases, CCI 200 LR primer, VW N135 powder at 24.0 and 24.5 grains. The ammo isn't bad but still not great. Just this morning my chronograph decided not to work and so I don't know how fast they developed. Judging by the primers there must have been no excessive pressure, they are not crushed or cratered. The recoil was not excessive. The next reloads I will do with the same components but with a 108-grain Lapua bullet, very long...
                    Thanks to all for the help...
                    Ciao
                    Nino

Comment

Working...
                    X