Uintah 6.5 Grendel
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC
    BCA 300 Blackout
    Attached Files
  • Konocti's Wigwam
    Warrior
    • Sep 2023

DianeB,

What are the lengths of your barrels and do you ever get the desire to build a bolt action?

I find myself faced with wanting a bolt action, not that my semi-autos are not fine. There are so many things to like about the mini-action, they are substantially lighter than a short action.

For a Rem 700, the action is 1-3/8" OD, and close to 8" long. A mini-action is less than 6" in length, and quite a bit narrower in OD. That would save a lot of weight.

Problem is what is available in that mini-action, like the Ruger Ranch and Howa Mini have fairly cheap synthetic stocks. I know better stocks are available, but then you buy throw away parts.

Maybe that's why people are opting for the Howa mini-with-barrel option and buying a better stock right off the bat?

Alan
    From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• DIANEB
      Warrior
      • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Konocti's Wigwam View Post
      DianeB,

What are the lengths of your barrels and do you ever get the desire to build a bolt action?

I find myself faced with wanting a bolt action, not that my semi-autos are not fine. There are so many things to like about the mini-action, they are substantially lighter than a short action.

For a Rem 700, the action is 1-3/8" OD, and close to 8" long. A mini-action is less than 6" in length, and quite a bit narrower in OD. That would save a lot of weight.

Problem is what is available in that mini-action, like the Ruger Ranch and Howa Mini have fairly cheap synthetic stocks. I know better stocks are available, but then you buy throw away parts.

Maybe that's why people are opting for the Howa mini-with-barrel option and buying a better stock right off the bat?

Alan
      The Uintah Precision upper is a bolt action with a 22 inch barrel and I love it...
      The 6.8 SPC, 300 blackout and the 22LR are all 16 inch barrels...

Comment

Working...
      X