16" AA + FDE Cerakote + Projectile Spread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice collection. I have been collecting parts to do my own FDE build and I was glad to hear that you like the MI SS handguard as I have been considering one myself. Do you feel that it's mounting is more solid than the Troy TRX's or about the same?

Comment

I use NIC Industries Cerakote bake-on finishing system. The FDE matches really well with FDE furniture, although I have noticed that a lot of "FDE" labeled parts are in fact Coyote Tan, which has more yellow or orange to it.

The MI SS Gen II has the same rigidity as the Troy TRX Extreme, they both come with 3 accessory rails that you can add or leave off, they both have a dedicated 12 o'clock rail, but the MI has a narrower tube body. That's the main difference.

If you order the Troy handguard in FDE, it matches perfectly with NIC Ind. FDE Cerakote, and I would conclude that is what they use.

Comment

Sweet rigs Chieftain. I am looking at a very similar build. I have a couple of ?'s for ya. 1- did you sand blast all of the parts first? 2- can i get away with baking in Mama's oven? or did you have a seperate oven that you use for baking parts? Id rather not get in the dog house with the wife.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
          Warrior
          • Feb 2012

Wow I thought I liked FDE.......
          sigpic

Comment

If you start with brand new parts that have a nice, rough anodized or parkerized finish on them, there isn't a need to sand-blast. I have done both. NIC recommends to do the sand blast to get the most optimal surface for adherence.

Just to test the strength of Cerakote, I have coated a few Melonited barrels with it, without blasting or sanding the surface. The Melonite has a Rockwell hardness of 73, which is pretty freaking hard, much harder than hard chrome, TiN, etc. The Cerakote goes on and stays on just like any other finish so far. I do degrease the snot out of the parts and acetone-bathe them.

You will probably not want to be indoors if you use your kitchen oven for the bake-on process. There is a formaldyhyde-urine stench that will definietly get you in the dog house. One other option is to clean the crap out of your grill, and bake your parts in there hanging with wire hooks from the racks, but a rusty rack will not be conducive to a clean coating.

Any debris or smudges to the surface will have to be baked on, then ground off. Start over. It takes a certain person with a lot of patience and fine motor skill to handle the parts without smudging, especially when you transfer to the oven.

Some people build their own ovens, rather than buy the ones advertised in Brownell's, which are pretty expensive. Those are basically your options. Here's another one I did:

A lot more pics of the complete job here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...esert-Cerakote

Comment

Thank you much for the info. I believe i have some Cerakote'n in my future.

Comment

Working...
              X