Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View of the terrain I'll be taking my Grendel

Preface: I have the greatest neighbors in the world -

J and family took me out on a father's day ride near Eureka Ak. 20 mile of trails of terrain accessible only by horse or ATV. This is very similar to the terrain in which we will go stalking Dall Sheep in August and where I plan to put my SAOD upper to the test. This is only only about 90 miles from the house...

Our quarry:

Comment

Wow. That sums it up nicely.

Comment

Enjoy, I was once a guide for dall sheep on the brooks range, I dearly miss Alaska.
        Bob

Comment

That is awesome. I'll be "closer" to you next week, just over the other side of the North Pole.

What ranges do you anticipate engaging the sheep at? You'll probably have to do some stalking to close the distance if you have wind, and it looks like you're gonna have some wind. I don't know if they come out in the morning, but the wind is usually much more calm then.

Pics of blaster? What load will you be using?

Comment

Pretty amazing country.

Comment

• Armored Transport

The 300RUM got a look at that and said " ME TO ME TO ". Nice country....Enjoy the hunt.

Comment

• jwilson1985

very nice

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Looks pretty, and pretty cold at the same time. Good luck!
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Looks pretty, and pretty cold at the same time.
                    LoL!! my wife said the same thing!!!

I'm looking forward to moving to Alaska after I finish school.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

Great looking terrain. You will certainly need a good set of legs for stalking in that.

Von Gruff.
                      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

What an amazing vista in all directions. I'm envious

Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

• ChellieWiles

Awesome place man. Reminds me of the Tetons.

Comment

Thanks all - I'll answer what I can/know...

Blaster will be an SAOD 20" "Hunter" upper pared with with a Rainier lower (MOE grip, VLTOR IMOD, Timmney 4lb drop-in). As for glass I have an IOR 2-12X32 on the way which will be mounted in a Bobro 35mm mount - Andy is amazing and I'll post more when it all gets put together.

Teaser: L->R Sabre M4, LMT MWS and the Grendel...

Ammo - right now I'm limited to Hornady factory 123GR A-Max but will have a local shop help me work up some loads with my new (arrived today) Hornady LnL-AP using Barnes 100 and 120 grain TSX.

I have no intention of engaging beyond 400 meters until I'm good enough beyond that with the ammo/optic/rifle.

I'm still working on a rangefinder but it will be either a Leica 7x24 CRF 1600-B or Zeiss 8x26 Victory Rangefinder. It all depends if I can sell my TA01NSN ;-)

Climate: I p/u a Bibler 2-man 4 season tent today and have a a Kifaru pack and sleep system on order. Regarding fitness, this stuff is featherlight compared to issue gear. Humping an M4 wearing full kit/combat load up to 8K feet where my profile pic was taken was a grueling eye opener....

Alaska... there are no words to accurately or appropriately describe this place. If relocating here isn't an option, at the very least plan a vacation. The terrain/topography killed any desire I had to visit New Zealand. Today in the Mat-Su Valley it was a blistering 73 degrees. The culture is a bit odd: mix between foolish granola eating sandal wearers (Tim Treadwell) and the rustic, self sufficient folks we Southerner's believe we are. I was sitting in the Carl's Jr' parking lot a few hours ago in downtown Anchorage an a 300lb heart attack waiting to happen climbed out of his Dodge Ram with a hand-cannon strapped to his chest and waddled inside w/o a care in the world...
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

Comment

Interested to see a dall taken with a Grendel. Thought about trying it but when it comes down to it I always pack my 6.5 lb custom 300WSM. Did you draw a tag? I'm skipping sheep this year cause the wife wants a moose in the freezer, but I may try a caribou with the Grendel.

If these don't get your heart pumping I don't know what will :-) BTW, the A Max should be fine for sheep, but none of your choices would make me comfortable in sheep country, which is also brown bear country. On the hunt below I did shoot a griz that did charge to within about 10 yards.

Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2012, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X