Hunting Grendel - hope u like the wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Grendel - hope u like the wood

closer.jpgBuilt the old school hunting rifle. hope I did not offend anyone who considers an ar a black rifle only.

disclaimer - did not kill the buck with Grendel - was supposed to post picture of partial build - newbie trying to figure out posting pictures!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2013, 05:40 AM.
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

It looks like one of Von Gruff's (our Kiwi brother) gorgeous bolt action weapons had a love-child with one of our Grendels here in the States. LOLz

Welcome to the Hoarde sir, and no...as far as I know they do not all have to be black. : ) Actually, the color code more my Grendels is coyote brown so they don't get confused with any of my other AR's. I doubt I am the only one who has done that, just as I would be quite surprised if yours is the first with wood furniture. It looks wonderful sir, I am sure you will get much enjoyment from it.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Nicely done!!

Comment

I love them that way. I'm going to do a prototype-era (1957) gun with bakelite or wood, but with concealed DCM free float tube and other high end components hidden under the hood.

Comment

• Dogue
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

That looks very nice and I bet you get some double-takes when you take her to the range.

I'd be curious to know what it weighs when complete.
          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

No need to be apologetic around here, wood is good, I like it. We are a nosy bunch, so please, keep us posted on how it performs. Welcome to the Horde.

Comment

That's pretty sweet. I almost posted that I love your wood, but that just wouldn't sound right.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                It looks like one of Von Gruff's (our Kiwi brother) gorgeous bolt action weapons had a love-child with one of our Grendels here in the States. LOLz
                I would be right chuffed if something as good looking as that came from my humble hands. Very fine piece of kit and an impressive way to introduce yourself.
                Did you do weight reduction in the butt? I take it that you have started with an unshaped blank so could not have skeletonised the laminates during construction.
                http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. I spent many hours on the site trying to absorb all I could before buying parts that eventually ended up as the rifle shown. Thumbs up to all! I have been around guns my whole life but never have I had so much fun and felt so accomplished building this Grendel. Gets in your blood! Mr Gruff, to answer your question, I wish I could claim to have had something to do with the stock but it was right out of the box as seen.
                  Fired the beast this afternoon! Every thing operated smoothe as silk. If you have never tried a JP all in one buffer spring, you are missing out. shoot, clean, shoot clean, over and over... group began to rise vertically - should I be concerned? shots 1-4 tight, 5,6,7 climbed a half inch every shot. had to quit as I ran out of daylight.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Nice rifle dg. Nice deer also man, I am slowly building an upper w/ some laminate wood from a Berretta 5 handguard for a 2/3 handguard-left some of the quad rail on the front of it for bipod-light-laser use.

Try letting the bbl. cool more between the 5 shot strings. Welcome aboard. Where did the lumber come from?

Comment

Furniture set from Brownells
                      ASA side charger upper
                      AR Stoner 24" barrel I had cut down to 22 w target crown
                      yankee hill gas block w flip up hooded sight and bottom rail (future laser illuminator)
                      kick Eez recoil pad(for my 9 year old)
                      JP silent captured recoil buffer (must have)
                      colt lower
                      Larue lt104 scope mount
                      Zeiss conquest 2-10x42 rapid z 600 recticle
                      all other various parts colt(buffer tube, gas tube, barrel nut, etc)

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2012

Damn it dg, now I think I need to build a wood ar!! Welcome to the horde.
                        sigpic

Comment

laminate stock and zeiss scope a common theme
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Tedward
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2013

I read and heard from barrel manufactures about cold bore a gun when they start to walk up after a few rounds. I started looking when I was having the issue with my 7mm Remington. Dead on with rounds 1,2 and 3 then the walk.

There is a company called 300 Below, They do Cryogenic Engineering, Cryo Barrel Stress Releif. It cost about $100 a barrel and they will supper freeze the barrel and it changes the structure of the molecules. To much to explain but it is what JP does to there Barrels if you read there web site. This increases the accuracy from cold to hot shots. Just check out both JP and 300 Below.

I also have a AR-Stoner 24" Grendel in the process and just need a few more pieces. I'm going to cut it down to 22" too and re-thread the the stupid AR-Stoner 9/16-24 to a 5/8-24 so I can put the JP Comp on it. I also have the JP Silent Capture and just ordered the LMOS Bolt Carrier yesterday so I'll have the entire JP set up less the gas block which is the final piece of the upper build. Oh ya and spoke to Doug at JP Tech Support, he said the JP Gas Block is a must when combining all of the components. you can dile it all the wauy down for single shots and adjust for the LMOS for fine tuning. One last thing will be replacing some trigger components wit the JP Speed Hammer or 2 stage. Still not sure what I'll go with but looking at the 2 stage Geisele, Timney or JP. All are over $200 so just trying to get it together then fine tune with the trigger.

Back to your gun, nice wood!! Looks like my 17HMR with that cool laminate wood colors. I'll be looking at Brownells now to just see what they have. How much does it weigh? Also what thread did you use when you cut it down??

Comment

Ok, that is simply GORGEOUS! Been thinking of a wood AR at some point in the future... That rifle tips the balance in the direction of 'Yes!'

Comment

Working...
                              X