• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SG4247
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

New LAR OPS-4 Side Charger Grendel

Thought it might be cool to build a Grendel side charger.

LAR OPS-4 ambi side charge upper
    LAR Grizzley lower
    Broughton 5C barrel 22"
    JP Recoil eliminator
    BTE gas block
    AR Gold trigger
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Rock river HG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Nice set-up. LAR is right here in the Salt Lake Valley, the largest machine shop making AR15 receivers for the whole industry. They were recently purchased by the Freedom Group so they could control their critical parts flow to the Bushmaster, DPMS, and Remington brands that are all part of Freedom Group.

Have you considered removing the extra scope rail and just using your single-piece AR scope base set-up? You'll still have plenty of clearance for your scope objective from the handguard, and might find it easier to obtain a solid cheek weld that lines up with the center of your scope's exit pupil, unless you have Goliath-type facial structure, and need the extra height.

Looking forward to seeing how your Broughton barrel groups.

Comment

• lilharcher
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

image.jpg

I have a similar build but has a BHW 20" barrel. I really like the side charging upper. Mine is matched with a LAR lower too.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Nice set-up. LAR is right here in the Salt Lake Valley, the largest machine shop making AR15 receivers for the whole industry. They were recently purchased by the Freedom Group so they could control their critical parts flow to the Bushmaster, DPMS, and Remington brands that are all part of Freedom Group.

Have you considered removing the extra scope rail and just using your single-piece AR scope base set-up? You'll still have plenty of clearance for your scope objective from the handguard, and might find it easier to obtain a solid cheek weld that lines up with the center of your scope's exit pupil, unless you have Goliath-type facial structure, and need the extra height.

their website is gone and i have heard the are just pumping out parts and no longer making lar branded parts including the ops4 makes me glad i bought one last year
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• SG4247
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by lilharcher View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3919[/ATTACH]

I have a similar build but has a BHW 20" barrel. I really like the side charging upper. Mine is matched with a LAR lower too.
          Very cool! I love the side charger feature. I have three ARs that use the side Handel. Finished the complete assembly yesterday after work, ran out to the range right before dark. Got several targets in out to 300 yds before dark.

I will post the targets as soon as I figure it out.

Comment

• SG4247
            Warrior
            • Aug 2013

All my ARs use the 1/2" extra hight riser. I guess it's just more comfortable for my monkey face. Keeps the neck pain down too.

Did a lot of research on the Broughton canted land barrel...before laying down cash.

Got in on the Lilja group but just in case.

I can say it is the easiest barrel I've ever had to clean.

Groups to follow....

Comment

• SG4247
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

All with factory Hornady 123 Amax.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How does that compare to other Grendels with factory ammo?
              Attached Files

Comment

• lilharcher
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

You got a shooter there

Comment

Nice shooting pipe. Looks like it compares favorably with my bartlein, easy to clean as well. Interested to see how it does on out to 800 or 1000. Who did the machine work on barrel for you?

Richard

Comment

• SG4247
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2013

A local smith in north Oklahoma City. He lives just a few miles from the gun range. He has been shooting competition for many years. Very opinionated and someone that has a lot of experience. One man shop with a lot of emphasis on the small details. Retired, and does not work on pistols!

Comment

Is that first pic at 300yds? That's sick if so. Even the 200yd 5-shot group is nice. Looks like a 1/2" gun easily, and the distant targets tell it best. 500 will be boring, so 700yds should be fun.

You got a shooter for sure.

Comment

• SG4247
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

Is that first pic at 300yds? That's sick if so. Even the 200yd 5-shot group is nice. Looks like a 1/2" gun easily, and the distant targets tell it best. 500 will be boring, so 700yds should be fun.

You got a shooter for sure.
                        Yes the first pic is 300 yds. I had trouble loading the pics, regular white paper is 100 yds cause I can see it with the scope. I then use shoot- and- see targets for 200 and 300 yds, so I don't need a spotting scope for those - the rifle scope works fine.

Comment

Good looking rifle and a shooter besides, cool.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

I love the LAR side charger, that looks great. I went with the right hand, but now wish I went with the left side for shooting prone. Im glad I got mine few years ago if they are not producing them now.

Comment

their website is gone and i have heard the are just pumping out parts and no longer making lar branded parts including the ops4 makes me glad i bought one last year
                              I heard that since Freedom Group bought them that you have to go through a Rem dealer to get them. Maybe something to do with Rem's MSR projects?

Comment

Working...
                              X