• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heywood
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

Finally done!

Finally got done building my side charging 6.5 grendel. Took a while as it was a side project. Learned and applied a few tricks to help with accuracy on this forum.image.jpg can't wait to try it out.
    quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!

That looks really nice. What barrel did you use, and did you need to lap the upper?

Comment

• dmsims21
      Warrior
      • Nov 2012

Very nice. Tell us more about the build.
      www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Heywood
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

Thanks guys.
        I used a AA side charging upper with a Young national match bc. I lapped the bolt lugs per LRRPF52's advice.
        The upper was true and did not need lapping though I gave it a shot anyway to check it out, all I did was polish off some anodizing which I was glad to see. The hand guard is a midwest industries 15" SS Gen 2. very light, slim and sexy. Which I think mates up with the beefy side charger perfectly. Called just in time to get one of the extra Lilja AR740 profile barrels.
        The thing is stink'n beautiful, looks perfect inside and out. (Had to commandeer the wife's hair dryer while she was working out) to heat the hell out of the upper to get the barrel extension to fit. Put a magpul fixed stock and Topped it off with a AAC blackout flash hider.
        Now all I need is a good mount and scope..

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Nice looking stick.

I had one of those flash hiders on my 5.56..I hated the "ping" "ping" "ping" ended up replacing it with a wilson accu-tac. You will see haha.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2014, 04:22 AM. Reason: merged posts

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Very nice in deed.

Comment

• Heywood
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by WildBill3/75
              I had one of those flash hiders on my 5.56..I hated the "ping" "ping" "ping" ended up replacing it with a wilson accu-tac. You will see haha.
              Yeah I noticed its like a tuning fork when you tap it with a wrench. Add to that the hand guard has its own res.. just charging her makes her sing.

Comment

What direction are you going with this rifle? Hunter? Medium target gun? That will help us make some mount and optics recommendations. If you are comfortable with it, state your budget range, and we'll bury you with advice from there.

I'm really liking the overall look of your rifle. The more I see and handle those Magpul MOE rifle stocks, the more they grow on me. I love the look of a gun without forward assist. If I could go back in time, I would mud-stomp the idiots who insisted that it be present on the AR15 back in the early 1960's. That would force end-users to use sufficient lubrication, and guns would run well like the very first production model did, the Colt 601.

I'm thinking about ordering some uppers that don't have FA, but look like an M4 upper other than that.

Originally posted by Heywood View Post
                Yeah I noticed its like a tuning fork when you tap it with a wrench. Add to that the hand guard has its own res.. just charging her makes her sing.
                The first few AR15 designs used open-pronged flash hiders as well, but with less mass to the tines.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Great job, that is a sweet looking rifle. You have the same barrel I'm using on my new build. Which trigger and gas block did you use? Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks for the picture.
                  Last edited by montana; 01-27-2014, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Heywood
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    What direction are you going with this rifle? Hunter? Medium target gun? That will help us make some mount and optics recommendations. If you are comfortable with it, state your budget range, and we'll bury you with advice from there.

I'm really liking the overall look of your rifle. The more I see and handle those Magpul MOE rifle stocks, the more they grow on me. I love the look of a gun without forward assist. If I could go back in time, I would mud-stomp the idiots who insisted that it be present on the AR15 back in the early 1960's. That would force end-users to use sufficient lubrication, and guns would run well like the very first production model did, the Colt 601.

I'm thinking about ordering some uppers that don't have FA, but look like an M4 upper other than that.

The first few AR15 designs used open-pronged flash hiders as well, but with less mass to the tines.
                    I am going to use the rifle as both a hunter and a target rifle actually, it is very handy and feels very solid. As far as budget for a scope, I would like to be at around a grand. I know it a isn't top of the line price but there's got to be something out there..
                    As to the stock. It feels right. Perfect actually, though I haven't shot it yet so can't say for sure. It is solid and a great weight. I figure if I need to add LOP or saddle hight I could pretty easily but don't think I'll need to. I also wanted to save weight over the prs.
                    Any recommendation on a good grip? The hogue feels nice but is a little too small for my hands. (had it laying around for a while) perfect for hunting, not for target. I would like something in between an ergo and one of those with the "shelve" on the bottom.
                    Can't wait to get her outside..
                    Thank you for your knowledge.

Comment

• Heywood
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
                      Great job, that is a sweet looking rifle. You have the same barrel I'm using on my new build. Which trigger and gas block did you use? Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks for the picture.
                      Thank you.
                      The trigger is a RRA national match I had laying in a drawer for about a decade. I always liked the way it broke but I never built a target AR so it never served a real purpose. I figured I would give her a go before i shelved her for good.
                      The gas block is also one I had laying around for quite a while. I had to set it back from the shoulder a bit to line up the gas ports. I bedded it with blue locktite.
                      Here's another picture.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Heywood; 01-27-2014, 08:16 AM. Reason: It's 1:00 AM

Comment

Well done, good looking build. Sounds like you really paid attention to detail, should be a shooter. Looking forward to your range reports.

Comment

The grip you will really like is the Ergo Tactical Deluxe. It's modeled after the PSG-1 grip, but with no palm shelf, and is rubberized with an elastomer like the Hogue, but has a much larger palm swell and nice feel to it.

For optics, I'm going to steer you towards the Vortex Viper PST or HS line of scopes. You just have to decide what reticle you want, capped or uncapped knobs, illumination, and range factor for the magnification.

On the lower ends of magnification, you have the 2.5-10x32 PST Front Focal with Side Focus in either matching MOA or MRAD turrets/reticle. Camera Land has a demo unit for $669 right now, which is a killer deal I would say, especially since Vortex has an unlimited lifetime, fully transferable warranty.

Next would be the Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST, in either MOA or MRAD, with illumination, Second Focal, no side focus. All the PST's have zero stop.

Next up, Viper HST 4-16x44, no illumination, has side focus, target turrets, zero stop, MOA or MRAD options, XD glass.

Viper PST 4-16x50, illumination, SF, SFP or FFP, MOA or MRAD reticle options.

I like the 2.5-10x44 for dual-use, since it can be dialed down for stalking while hunting, then dialed up to 10x for target work. It also has illumination for dusk and dawn. The lack of Side Focus allows a more snag-free profile, and one less thing to go wrong. It's great for shooting small plates out to 500yds, and IPSC sils out to 1200yds.

16" Grendel with Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Heywood
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2013

LRRPF52.
                            Thanks again for your advice. I picked up a PST 4-16 X 50 FFP MRAD. Might be a bit big for this rifle but I can always move it to another that is underglassed and pick up the 2-10 X 44. I'll be setting it up for one of your classes if you'll have me, should be fun as I have no experience with long range tactical shooting.

Comment

• customcutter

Not sure what you meant by a bit big on the 4-16X50. I think it's only an ounce or two heavier than the 2.5-10X44, and almost the same length. I was looking for the 4-16 SFP, and found a great deal on a 2.5-10, so I bought it. I might be wrong on the weight and length, it's been a few weeks since I was looking.

Looking forward to some range reports.

Comment

Working...
                              X