• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • itsmeken
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2014

My first AR-15 6.5 Grendel Build

Just finished my first 6.5 G AR-15 build. Build goals: Durable long range precision shooter.

Barrel
    • Shilen 20" Match Barrel HBAR 1 to 9" Twist Stainless Steel
    • Shilen Barrel Matched Bolt

Upper
    • Surplus Ammo Forged Upper Receiver
    • Surplus Ammo Nickel Boron BCG
    • Nitromet Rifle Length Gas tube
    • SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block - Clamp On Type
    • Rainer Arms Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
    • Midwest Ind Gen2 SS 15" Handguard

Lower
    • Palmetto State Armory Forged Lower
    • Geissele SSA-E Trigger
    • Magpul Trigger Guard MIAD Enhanced
    • Battle Arms Ambi Saftey Selector
    • Troy Ambi Mag Release
    • Ultimate Arms A1/A2 Buffer Kit
    • Magpul PRS FDE Stock
    • MagPul MOE Pistol Grip
    • Stoner 10 Round 6.5 magazine
    • MagPul MOE Pistol Grip

Scope
    • Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 .250 MOA NP-R1 Scope
    • TPS 30mm TSR Picatinny Scope Rings

Ammo
    So far I have only been able to score Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123 grain SST ammo. Still waiting for some good brass and bullets to become available. I'll make hand loads with the Hornady dies.

Up Next
    After break-in and once the Shilen barrel is verified accurate, I will be sending it off to be threaded and a muzzle brake installed.

Last edited by itsmeken; 03-29-2014, 12:06 AM.
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

VERY Nice,,,I like it a lot!!

Comment

• outlaw45
      Warrior
      • Sep 2012

Looks nice, very much like mine. You may want to look at a cantilever style scope mount instead of bridging the upper receiver and forearm.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I left my Shilen barrel unthreaded. My Shilen 6.5 Grendel is very pleasant to shoot and I don't like the extra noise from muzzle brakes. Now if I could shoot the Shilen to it's full potential, I'm still the weak link. I have a Phantom FH on my 16" 6.5 Grendel and I like it and A-2 FH.

Nice thing about AR-15's is you can have it your way! Great looking build, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Good looking stick

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Gonna have FUN with that one!

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• itsmeken
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2014

Just to follow up on how it shoots. After swapping the scope rings to LaRue Tactical SPR-E LT139 scope mount, I got the scope dialed in and the barrel broken in and took it out this weekend for some long range shooting. Prior to Saturday I had never shot more 100 yards out. First, attempt was at 460 yards. The wind was variable at 5-15 mph. Target was 12"x12" AR500 steel plate. It took two shots to get on target and was able to repeat several times. Then moved the same target out to 760 yards. Hit twice out of five attempts. The wind was definitely a factor as it was changing directions and velocity. I was using Hornady 123gr. SST ammo. I will be loading my own with the A-max 123gr. bullets and Hornady brass. Right now I have not been able to find the powder I want. So, until then I have a good store of SST I'll continue to use.

I'm new to shooting so I was very happy with these results and I'm hoping as my skills improve I will be able to consistently hit 1,000 yards with this rifle and my reloads.
              Last edited by itsmeken; 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update, hearing the 6.5 Grendel smack steel is a very enjoyable pass time.

Comment

• itsmeken
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2014

Yes it is! Having never shot this far before I was surprised to find that at 760 yards I was able to get back on target and actually see the hits! At 460 yards I was not able to get back on target quickly enough to see the hit. Anyways, it's a lot of fun and I have a lot of work to do before I can consistently hit at 1,000 yards.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Oh that looks sweet! Very nice build, glad it shoots well. Im sure you will enjoy that thing for many years to come!

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Sweet stick! Congrats!
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Lonehill
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2013

Very nice, that's the barrel I finally went with. Was looking for a pic of 20" Shilen with 15" handguard. This gives me something to go on. Nice rifle!

Comment

Working...
                        X