• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

The finest rifle I've ever owned

I am very impressed with this rifle, so much so that I parted with my R-25. I hunt the Blue Ridge mountains and was looking for a light deer rifle to carry up and down. (Yeah, I know, it's not the Rockies or the Sierra-Nevadas, but give a redneck a break.)

grendel.jpg

Upper by Precision Firearms:
    • PF Billet Upper
    • PF Super Match Carrier with PF Phalanx bolt
    • 18" Lilja barrel chambered and fluted by PF
    • 15" keymod carbon fiber handguard
    • Adjustable gas block
    • AAC Breakout 51T

Lower (I put together):
    • Precision Firearms billet to match upper
    • Spikes Tactical LPK minus FCG
    • Seekins Precision bolt catch
    • Seekins Precision trigger guard
    • Wilson Combat single stage TTU
    • ACE Ultralight stock

The optic is a Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST in a NightForce Unimount.

I'm more than likely the worst rifle shot in the horde, but I can improve. (My limited shooting ability is no reflection of Mark's rifle building prowess.) The group below was from the bed of my truck laying prone using a rolled up tarp in place of a bi-pod, 100 yards out using Hornady 123 grain SSTs. The wind was blowing, but I didn't take any measurements. The shots were #51-60 down the tube. I'm happy with MOD, minute of deer, but this rifle shot the best group I've ever shot in my life.

target.jpg
    10 shot group, rounds 51-60.
    Last edited by jim_bob; 05-01-2015, 02:09 AM.
  • D.Davis
    Warrior
    • Sep 2013

JB, Nice, looks light. Dave

Comment

• TacBlade
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2014

Whow makes the handguard?

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

The specs say it's a PF carbon fiber handguard. It looks and feels a lot like an AP Custom rhino.

Comment

• lead chucker
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Good looking Grendel for sure! I do like the looks of the carbon fiber handguard and the ace stocks rock!

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

I use to think i wanted a precision built .308 just for long range shooting. After finding the Grendel, i dont even look at ads for those guns.

I have two Grendels now and a Lilja barrel for the next one. Some of my guns could be for sale but not the Grendels.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Don't be put off by a TEN shot group being the size it is.

Te random nature of dispersion makes a 3-shot group about double in size when going to ten.

They"growth" is even more obvious when we discard or ignore the 3-shot groups that have outliers because "something wasn't right"

Bottom line, that rifle is a great shooter and you will have a lot of fun with it!
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• jim_bob
                Warrior
                • Jul 2014

Thank you for the kind words. I'd love to get someone that can shoot to put a few groups on paper with this rifle.

I was hesitant about the ACE ultralight stock, most "precision" rifles have PRS stocks on them. I figured if I didn't work out I could put the ACE on my carbine. After 60 rounds, I've decided that I can get down on the gun well enough that I'm going to keep the ACE. If only the od green foam tube matched the Ergo grip od green better, but oh well.

If I can put some deer in the freezer with this rifle, I'll probably look into a 14.5" configured similarly with a 1-4 scope. I tried a 300blk for a deer gun last year, I put 1 in the freezer with it, but ended up switching back to my R-25 for the rest of the season since I was hunting mostly the edges of fields. I really hope that this grendel will fill the role of the R-25.

Comment

• shooter545
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2012

Nice looking rifle! I love carbon fiber handguards. You will not be dissatisfied with the hunting potential of your rifle.

Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

• Errorhead
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2012

Good grief, that is one ugly gun, since you are not that far away I will volunteer to drive to Va from North Carolina to get that thing and throw it away for you. ( I got some room in my gun cabinet... I mean trash can)
                    Just kidding, I'm really digging that handguard!

Comment

• lead chucker
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

The PRS is nice for bench and field shooting but is very heavy for carrying around. The first lower I did was a PRS then I built a second lower with a ACE skeleton arfx stock for hunting. I really like it, it gets the most use now. Where bouts in VA are you?

Comment

• jim_bob
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2014

Lead, that's exactly why I tried the ACE ultralight, I couldn't justify the weight of the PRS. I considered the Luth-AR MBA, it looks cool and is lighter than the PRS, but I'm really pleased with the ACE ultralight.

I'm in Roanoke. I hunt in Franklin and Floyd counties.

Comment

• lead chucker
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Cool! Glad you like the ultralight, I may have to try one on another build.

I used to hunt in Craig County, lots of big deer up that way. If your ever down in SW give me a shout.

Comment

• JDub
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2014

That hand guard looks a lot like a Lancer.

Comment

• jim_bob
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2014

Lead, will do.

JDub, it does look similar to the Lancer, but I haven't seen a Lancer with keymod. If you check out the AP Customs Rhino I think it's a dead ringer.

I was hoping Mark might come along and set the record straight, I should send him an email and find out exactly what handguard it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X