GUN ROOM - pics, ideas, designs, layout, etc!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spectra
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
    spectra- post a pic up, no one will tease ya.
    I will once the kids car is out of the garage.....needed to do some work and well I cant even get to the bench right now.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Car done yet? Just hackin on ya.

I got the 99% okay again to move indoors---- last week------ then she said, will that powder accumulate in the carpeting,? No- I don't sprinkle it around like a carpet de odorizer!

Then the idea of cabs, storage came up- work top surfaces. I dint want a 500 lb unit like L-52 installed- I have that in garage- for three seasons.

So, I could actually absorb some advice on countertop work surface- cabs- ideas too! Lets keep this going... All of us could chime in on this?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I really enjoy the light colored Formica countertops for my reloading space, which is a big step up from the workbench I had before. I also have them so high that it is less fatiguing for my back. I put foam floor pads down, on top of cordwood flooring, which is nice.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sniper338
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by RodZZilla View Post

This is the pic I posted that I am looking to do. I like this layout. I'd want a few drawers though. This way I can line up a few presses on one side, put powder in the cabinets off the counter tops, put bullets in the cabinets off the counter tops, the island for working on guns and being able to get around it/cleaning guns..... I mostly love the cabinets to put stuff up and be real organized.. Then behind the safe door have a 6x6 or so safe room to store guns... if I go that route... I could just buy another 50 gun safe too and have two safes side by side there in the back... I don't think I'd be able to do a room like this quite as long as it looks... but pretty much a copy of this... with stained concrete floors instead of tile too...

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

S338, that one looks like a fancy kitchen ! My wife would boot me back to the garage if I showed her an estimate for a build like this!

I went to Ikea on Sunday for ideas- they have kitchen base cabs- wood, that would look nice in the basement. I would then have to install a countertop surface- formica idea. They also have a variety of cabinets that I could put any work surface on top of.

We decided not to put up walls, so this will all be visible as walking down the stairs. I'm thinking L- shaped.4 ft. on 1 side- then 12 ft' on the other run.. Drawers galore, doors for large items. Then a 10 ft. run of upper cabs, over the long run.

I'm getting lot's of ideas from what is being posted here , dint mean to steal the thread- a tad-- yet me moving inside is a huge deal for me!

Comment

• Sniper338
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Lol

Comment

• Sniper338
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Id rather have a reloading room than a kitchen

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

My issue with formica is that it cracks. My favorite is hardwood for most of the surfaces, then either Corian or a large heavy steel top. Steel tends to be noiser than hardwood or Corian, though. I do like the "U" shape, and I'm going to go that direction in the long run for counters. Right now I work off one 8 foot hardwood top, with tools and supplies in cabinets behind me.

Comment

• lead chucker
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sniper338 View Post
                    Me to, I spend more time in my basement playing with my stuff than in the kitchen anyway. Its great seeing all the different looks and plans, some really great ideas here.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sniper338 View Post
                      +1
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• spectra
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2014

Ok Sneaky just for you This is kind of a quick bench that I made one day at work. I would love to have better but it works for me right now. Also does not help that there is a boat right behind me in the garage.... It takes up a 20 foot wall that was supposed to be a bench area when the house was built....I am limited with a man door, electrical and also a stairway on the wall that you see.

Anyway the bench is a steel frame that I made lagged to the studs on the wall. Countertop is a butcher block type that I purchased from Ikea for 60 bucks. I think it was 6 foot long and cut it down a little to make it fit. It is solid and works great for what I need right now. Also the left corner has a steel tube that a vise slides in and out if I need the space. Also has a bank of cabinets on top that are used for storage.

Metal cabinet to the left is a cheap Stack on unit I picked up to store loaded ammo in so the kids would not get into it. It works but would like to get something else when I have more room.

Now the pics.......
                        Attached Files

Comment

• 65Whelen
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

I built my heated shop/garage about five years ago, it’s been a work in-process and has yet to have a car in it. My favorite is the bench, it’s an old hydraulic lift table which came out of a local factory that was shutting it's doors. I built the bench top(approximately 6’x’6) one side for reloading the other for general gun work. Lots of electrical outlets, every four feet, a couple in the ceiling, I should’ve put a couple in the floor. The floor, not often given much thought, is the Rust-OLeum Concrete Epoxy paint, burnt orange which is great when trying to find any small gun part or springs that inadvertently goes flying. The paint also eliminates all the concrete dust. The shop is my major stress reliever but the wife keeps threatening to buy me a cot so I can spend all my time out there.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 65Whelen; 01-11-2015, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• spectra
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2014

That looks sweet 65! Not sure I could handle the garage without heat..... I have a little heater in the pic but that just warms the toes when it is not that cold out. Bigger one on the wall also.

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                              I built my heated shop/garage about five years ago, it’s been a work in-process and has yet to have a car in it. My favorite is the bench, it’s an old hydraulic lift table which came out of a local factory that was shutting it doors. I built the bench top(approximately 6’x’6) one side for reloading the other for general gun work. Lots of electrical outlets, every four feet, a couple in the ceiling, I should’ve put a couple in the floor. The floor, not often given much thought, is the Rust-OLeum Concrete Epoxy paint, burnt orange which is great when trying to find any small gun part or spring that inadvertently goes flying. The paint also eliminates all the concrete dust. The shop is my major stress reliever but the wife keeps threatening to buy me a cot so I can spend all my time out there.
                              That is sweet, that burnt orange paint makes all the difference on the floor. If I had that set up I think I would have a cot in there. Is that a vertical mill I see in the back? Nice set up, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• am4966
                                Chieftain
                                • Jul 2014

Wow that is pretty slick 65! Love the floor color, I'm sure it makes finding the pivot detent pin easy. When that sucker goes flying!
                                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                                X