• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

My Grendel build in process

Here's what I've got going on so far. It's an AA 24" upper with a Vortex PST FFP. Cheapo bipod I had laying around.
    Lower is robbed of my S&W M&P until I build it it's own. It has Magpul stock and grip with Geissele ssa trigger. Man that trigger made all the difference in the world.
    Future plans for this build are to build a lower (still up in the air on manufacture and billet or forged), nice 15" or so carbon fiber hand guard, nice bipod and eventually cerakote. Sure I'll have questions along the way and I'll be posting where I'm at in my process. Hopefully I'll be posting it's first coyote with in a week or two.
    Attached Files
  • Nick
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Question about muzzle devices though. At the range with ear plugs the bird cage is fine, but I feel like hunting after a shot or two my ears will be ringing. My question is, short of a supressor, is there any muzzle devises that can make it suitable for a couple shots? I'm not overly concerned with recoil, gun is heavy as can be. Is there anything you have tried or am I best off just using a thread protector?

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

A pig or a device that let's the blast go forward down range isn't bad. It isn't any different really than any other rifle. Just a thread protector isn't bad. What gets you is a brake or bird cage because it directs it back.

Comment

• Nick
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Well its been almost a year since i started this project but I finally have my rifle finished with its own lower. What started out as an Alexander Overwatch has been transformed into an 18" alexander with an ALG Defense 15" Gen 2.
        Lower is an Anderson forged with hogue G10 grip and Luth MBA 1 fixed stock and a geissele trigger. Going to set up some targets tomorrow and see how it groups.
        Attached Files

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Excellent! Nice looking build, and I like the color choices. Interesting stock, as well - I'd not seen it before. Please let us know how she behaves at the range.

P.S. I see that you're running with a thread protector in lieu of a muzzle device. As per your earlier question, I have had good luck with Linear Compensators, as they add a bit of length and direct the gasses forward as they expand and slow them down. Mine is the Dragon Head from Tactical Ammunition, but it is 5/8" threaded.
          Last edited by NugginFutz; 12-04-2015, 02:42 AM.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Nice. I do like these ALG handguards a lot. I think they're one of the best bangs for the buck, and shipping was insane fast when I ordered from Geissele.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Nick
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Excellent! Nice looking build, and I like the color choices. Interesting stock, as well - I'd not seen it before. Please let us know how she behaves at the range.

P.S. I see that you're running with a thread protector in lieu of a muzzle device. As per your earlier question, I have had good luck with Linear Compensators, as they add a bit of length and direct the gasses forward as they expand and slow them down. Mine is the Dragon Head from Tactical Ammunition, but it is 5/8" threaded.
              Thanks yea I'm modeling the color pattern after my Sig Scorpion 1911. The G10 grip is the same as grips on the pistol. Down the road I plan to cerakote the upper and lower to match the stock and guard. Thanks for the heads up on the compensator. That looks like something I may be interested in. When I had barrel cut I had it threaded in 5/8

Comment

• Nick
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Nice. I do like these ALG handguards a lot. I think they're one of the best bangs for the buck, and shipping was insane fast when I ordered from Geissele.
                I'm very pleased will the feel and at the price it can't be beat. Ordered on Thursday, was on doorstep at lunch Monday.

Comment

• Nick
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Got to get out and shoot today. Over all very pleased. Started off a little squirrely but after 10 shots or so it mellowed out and ended up with this group at 100, don't mind the called shot to the left. The lower group is from my father in laws rra 223.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Nick
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

The pic got flipped. The bottom in the fleet and the right group is the 223

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

How do you like the Luth AR Stock? I've been looking at that stock for my next build possibly.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Nick
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                        How do you like the Luth AR Stock? I've been looking at that stock for my next build possibly.
                        I love it. For this build I wanted a fixed stock and it came down to luth and magpul prs. At luths price I couldn't pass it up. It is built sold, feels great, and has zero play. As of right now nothing to complain about

Comment

• Nick
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Solid*

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Very nice, I think you made a good choice going down to 18"...

Comment

• Nick
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by danm View Post
                              Very nice, I think you made a good choice going down to 18"...
                              I think so. For hunting purposes it was a must. I was a bit nervous about going to 18 with a 1:9 twist but I was very pleased with this 100 yard grouping, hoping to stretch it out soon and see what I get at 300 or so.

Anyone familiar with this twist on an 18"? Reason I ask is because I'm going to be taking a long range shooting training course soon and would this be able to shoot to 1000 or would I be better off learning long distance shooting with something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X