Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

ballistic apps

ok ive got isnipe now its ok not real sure how close it is yet,ive used ballistic fte and didnt care for it ,what im wondering anyone have exp with the knights armament bullet flight military edition ,and how good it is
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I run all three, correlating data between the 3 on my IPhone. They are very close, but Ballistic FTE has some issues with Sierra SMK's, and sometimes gives funny readouts.

Bullet Flight works very well, but its not quite as intuitive, or maybe I'm too used to the others!

I actually think Bullet Flight is the closest to my actual loads, but I'll admit they are all VERY close.

Comment

• jwilson1985

so would you say that im fine with the isnipe i have vs buying the 30$ bullet flight ive just herd it was the most reliable and the fact that the military uses it but id like i said i didnt care for the FTE but on i snipe i wish i could input a lil more data like scope tube mm and so on

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
        so would you say that im fine with the isnipe i have vs buying the 30$ bullet flight ive just herd it was the most reliable and the fact that the military uses it but id like i said i didnt care for the FTE but on i snipe i wish i could input a lil more data like scope tube mm and so on
        JW:

Before you dump $30.00 on something the military doesn't use, do the following.

Find five of these programs on the internet. See if you can get the ones you want, even if some are only trial editions.

Input your data for what I consider my 'constant' bullet for the Grendel cartridge -- a 120 Sierra Match King.

Use 600, and 800 yards as the Grendel is not a 1000 yard cartridge no matter how much Kool Aid someone drinks and you will not find any differences at ranges shorter than 600. .

Compare the output at 600 and 800 yards. Look closer at the programs that are within plus or minus one minute of angle from each other. Since I would bet all of them are within plus or minus one minute of each other, a insignificant difference at those ranges for the intent of the Grendel cartridge and AR platform, choose the program that costs nothing and is easiest for you to use.

Then take the iphone out into forty degree rain and sleet and see how well the idea and phone works. Particularly since you must take your eyes off of your target to input data into the I Phone. Not to mention very low light conditions.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          JW:

Particularly since you must take your eyes off of your target to input data into the I Phone. Not to mention very low light conditions.

LR1955
          What if you have a wandering eye??? And I don't have an IPhone, but I'm pretty sure they have a backlight...

Comment

Gene, I have an iphone and ballistics FTE.

that being said it is nice for a reference on different cartridges, although noting beat memorization or a card that is laminated and in your pocket.

Comment

• jwilson1985

LR i have done that ...and you saying the the grendel is not a 1000yrd cartridge you know is gonna stir the pot ...ive hit 925 with a 16" barrel and my 18" now is 1000 no problem ask bill alexander about Keaton Friedman ,and see what he has done with a stock aa 24" grendel 12" group at 1600yards now that sounds like a 800 yard cartridge... ok so ya a 22lr could hit a mountain at 1600 but from some one that has done / seen the grendel do these things consistently ...i have to STRONGLY disagree with you...but back to the original topic LR i have check all 3 apps and they all 3 are within 1-2 moa of each other some just offer more data then some other ones..and thats all i was asking if anyone had used the bullet flight app...as far as 40 deg. rain i have a special case for that and it mounts on the side for the rifle and if u use the camera it watches the target for u it part of the app lol ,low lite its back lit to the light that its in...LR i already know how to do this on paper these just make it a little easier to punch paper,i would not use this for a live target thats what the training was for. but thanks for your input really.

Comment

• jwilson1985

warped i agree compleatly with that these apps r just fun to test agianst data you have and whats in your head...

LR dont take that personal i just get tired of people saying it a 600-800 yard cartridge now granted yes there are better cartridges to go further .but the grendel has proved it can do more time and time again like i said nothing personal but ya something else could do it better yes,any good shooter could acomplish a 1000yrd even a buddy of mine that had never shot one
                Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

What is the ammunition input like on those other ones?? I use the Strelok ballistic app program and it works rather well. But, It doesn't have any default bullets in it. What I mean is, you can't choose Remington 9mm from a list. You have to know the FPS, BC and several other items to get the program to work properly. I would be interested in a program that has preprogrammed bullets listed in it's memory, so all you have to do is choose the type of ammo you purchased and it already has all the specs listed for that ammo. Do any of these other programs do any of this for you?

Not like any of them would have any Grendel ammo listed anyway.

Comment

• jwilson1985

lr1955 let me say sorry as after readin that i sounded like a ass thing with computers is you cant tell a persons emotion, but you are rite there is better cartrages for thoses kind of distances but with a well traind shooter you can make a weapon do stuff it shouldnt is what i should have said . once again i didnt mean anything personal by it ,if it seemed that way.

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                      What is the ammunition input like on those other ones?? I use the Strelok ballistic app program and it works rather well. But, It doesn't have any default bullets in it. What I mean is, you can't choose Remington 9mm from a list. You have to know the FPS, BC and several other items to get the program to work properly. I would be interested in a program that has preprogrammed bullets listed in it's memory, so all you have to do is choose the type of ammo you purchased and it already has all the specs listed for that ammo. Do any of these other programs do any of this for you?

all for these 3 app are all pre prgramed like u want

Comment

If you want to be dead-on, even past 1000yds with whatever caliber you're shooting, use the free Quick Target Unlimited program from Lapua with Doppler data for the Scenars, but you will need to be shooting Lapua Scenars of course. It is accurate to within 3cm at 1300m, so go figure.

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          If you want to be dead-on, even past 1000yds with whatever caliber you're shooting, use the free Quick Target Unlimited program from Lapua with Doppler data for the Scenars, but you will need to be shooting Lapua Scenars of course. It is accurate to within 3cm at 1300m, so go figure.
                          lol ya cant imagain y

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                            LR i have done that ...and you saying the the grendel is not a 1000yrd cartridge you know is gonna stir the pot ...ive hit 925 with a 16" barrel and my 18" now is 1000 no problem ask bill alexander about Keaton Friedman ,and see what he has done with a stock aa 24" grendel 12" group at 1600yards now that sounds like a 800 yard cartridge... ok so ya a 22lr could hit a mountain at 1600 but from some one that has done / seen the grendel do these things consistently ...i have to STRONGLY disagree with you...but back to the original topic LR i have check all 3 apps and they all 3 are within 1-2 moa of each other some just offer more data then some other ones..and thats all i was asking if anyone had used the bullet flight app...as far as 40 deg. rain i have a special case for that and it mounts on the side for the rifle and if u use the camera it watches the target for u it part of the app lol ,low lite its back lit to the light that its in...LR i already know how to do this on paper these just make it a little easier to punch paper,i would not use this for a live target thats what the training was for. but thanks for your input really.
                            If you check any review Shooter (ballistic) is meant to be one of the best apps on the market. +1 to LR, I have to agree with him that the Grendel is not a 1000 yds cartridge. It will get there and beyond but temperature variances make it very finickity to work with at extreme ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post

Junk in, Junk out. The output on these things is only as good as the information you put into it. Feeding it generic published data then defeats the purpose, because the whole purpose is to shoot at medium to long ranges. Anything less than that, and you don't need a calculator. That's because you're only talking about a few minutes, which are small at close ranges, But things get exponentially worse the farther out you go. The difference between 500 yards and 600 yards is really where it seems to start to show. If you really want any accuracy at any reasonable range, then you have to know all of these details of the ammunition and how your gun shoots it. You need an accurate BC and muzzle velocities. It's also good to take temperature into account too. Not only does it effect trajectory, but it also effects muzzle velocity. It's best just to work these numbers out yourself. I don't even trust published BCs.

I guess I am one of the few here that advocates the PDA approach. I use a simple Excell spreadsheet for calculations on a windows mobile device, and it has proven to be extremely accurate and convenient. That, at least holds true for the context of my use. I'm sure that such things can easily enter into the realm of diminishing returns under different circumstances. I think there is virtue in simple range cards still.

Comment

Working...
                              X