• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eod1
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2018

Why you should cryo your gun parts.

This is a good read. I did not know to much about the cryo process untill my father showed me what it can do wit it. I'm from Indiana and at the time my father was pretty high up in the Indy car and Fourmula 1 race car scene. He showed me why you would want to freeze car parts to make them stronger and last longer. Then I went into the service. With the people I worked with they were experimenting with freezing barrels to get better performance out of them. I learned a lot. To much to try to explain here. But I can send you to some sights that can help you if you want to learn more.

Improve Barrel Performance and Take Your Best Shot Our Cryo-Accurizing process reduces barrel stress toimprove accuracy 50% MoreAccurate Extends BarrelLife ...
    Last edited by Eod1; 04-09-2018, 12:24 AM.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

You related to Vector16?
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

A magical cure-what-ails-ya in the shooting sport? I don't see any stats or reports on how many barrels were not "helped", nor how many barrels or actions that failed from brittle fracture. Nor any test barrels that were say, sectioned before and after to document changes in microstructure. Not saying this is an impossible claim, but it sure needs some objective data... some steels will fail on their own at temperatures of -40 to -50 *F.

For the vast majority of shooters, the "opening up" of a shot group is more attributable to the person than the rifle imo. Whether some tiredness, losing some focus, inability to reproduce all the positional and mechanics of the shot... how many of us can repeatedly make 10/10 in free throws... as swhishers/nothing but net? Or 10/10 in three-pointers? Maybe the ball should be cryo-treated!!!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Guys

Cryo treating was a very short lived fad about twenty or thirty years ago. The guys shooting cryo treated barrels swore it worked. Then more and more guys started using cryo barrels and opinions started to differ. I think the rage for cryo barrels was about two or three years then collapsed. Once more people started using cryo treated barrels, more and more said it didn't do anything. A few said it made things worse.

I guess if a guy wants to dump more money into a barrel then he can get it cryo treated and it won't hurt anything but it probably won't make anything better, either.

Your choice guys. I don't think it does much if anything.

LR55

Comment

• Eod1
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2018

Just thought I would discuss all the ways u can make your gun parts and barrels better. I would bet my life on it and I have. When u think u have done everything u think u can do to your rifle to make it the best it can be, why not go that extra mile and have it frozen. What would it hurt. I try to think outside the box when it comes to accuracy. I even have trigger made with roller bearings installed on the finger pad of my trigger. That way my finger can glide across the trigger without pushing or pulling the barrel right or left. As for vector16, I do know him, Why? Here is a AR trigger I have made. Any questions?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Troll. My vote.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• terrywick4
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

There still are companies out there that cyro there barrels after machining them to relieve stress. Off hand I can't remember which one do it but there are several.

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

If I had a barrel I couldn't get to shoot moa I might try this as a last resort, depending on cost. I have been very fortunate that I haven't drawn a bad barrel of the 20 rifles and pistols I own the operator is the biggest cause of inaccuracy. I don't shoot competively so someone else's needs might justify it.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                  If I had a barrel I couldn't get to shoot moa I might try this as a last resort, depending on cost. I have been very fortunate that I haven't drawn a bad barrel of the 20 rifles and pistols I own the operator is the biggest cause of inaccuracy. I don't shoot competively so someone else's needs might justify it.
                  BC:

Take my word for it, if cryo treatment assured better performance from a barrel, every single competitive shooter on earth would have a cryo treated barrel. And you would not find a barrel company that would sell a barrel not cryo treated.

Spend the money if you want. I doubt it will hurt anything. It may even help a barrel that was not properly stress relieved when it was made. But I doubt it will improve a top end barrel.

LR55

Comment

• BCHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2018

Just trying to keep an open mind, I currently have no need for it. As my guns are more accurate then I can shoot them. So any benefits gained would be hard to capitalize on.

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Will it make my hair grow back?

Comment

• Eod1
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                        Troll. My vote.
                        Troll !!! Coming from you , that's funny. I have been watching this site for a while. No long time. A lot of people on here know some, a lot know nothing while a lot think they know A LOT. I thought i would come on and give my 2 cents and see if i could draw out the posers. All the people who question it and go looking and keep a open mind about cryo freezing along with other manufacturing proseecess are smart. The ones that come right out and say bad things with out anything to back it up are not smart. That person should put down the grill cheese sandwich get up and leave their parents basement and go do some research. I'm just bringing it up because it has helped me in the past and may help YOU.

Comment

• keystone183
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Eod1 View Post
                          Just thought I would discuss all the ways u can make your gun parts and barrels better. I would bet my life on it and I have. When u think u have done everything u think u can do to your rifle to make it the best it can be, why not go that extra mile and have it frozen. What would it hurt. I try to think outside the box when it comes to accuracy. I even have trigger made with roller bearings installed on the finger pad of my trigger. That way my finger can glide across the trigger without pushing or pulling the barrel right or left. As for vector16, I do know him, Why? Here is a AR trigger I have made. Any questions?
                          One question......what is your website where i can learn more, and possibly buy?

Comment

• Drillboss
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Eod1
                            Take your word for it????? Are u kidding. I'm passing on my knowledge. I expect each person on this form to do their dudilagince and find out for themselves. Taking your word for it sounds like sounds foolish and unintelligent. Talking your word for it or your opinion does not let people think for themselves.
                            Having done some dudilagince on '55's background and experience, I'll take his word for it. I don't care if it does sound like sound foolish and unintelligent.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

I'm thinking of sending in my tank barrel - I've been stringing shots past 4000 yards.

JP cryo's all of his barrels and I don't think anyone can say that it hurts. I will say my JP barrel can maintain accuracy and go longer between cleanings than any other barrel I have. I will be spending the weekend with the legend himself and will see if I can extract any empirical evidence.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                              X