• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Sporting Rifle Match at Whittington Center CANCELLED until further notice

I missed the June match for the GF Birthday, and as it turns out, that match was also cancelled.

High fire danger is the current reason, and the Whittington Center is hinting that they will not open up the area where the match was being held again.

They took away my fun!!!
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
    I missed the June match for the GF Birthday, and as it turns out, that match was also cancelled.

High fire danger is the current reason, and the Whittington Center is hinting that they will not open up the area where the match was being held again.

They took away my fun!!!
    You got to love Stage 3 fire restrictions. The federal government basically tells you that you can't be trusted to use YOUR land.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      You got to love Stage 3 fire restrictions. The federal government basically tells you that you can't be trusted to use YOUR land.
      It gets better. When the gubm'nt called for fire restrictions on all federal lands in NM, a couple years ago, they included closure of all BLM sites. Because Albuquerque's Shooting Park is funded under and managed by BLM, that meant it, too, had to close down. This was despite being in the middle of a treeless, barren part of what is known as the West Mesa. Hell, you couldn't start a fire there with a Molotov Cocktail, but that didn't matter.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Well, that was my guaranteed one happy moment every month for shooting.

Now I need to find another fix. There are shorter range matches in Ft Collins, Pawnee, Pueblo and Byers - All plains - flat - boring.

I need to find a monthly match in the mountains.

Hear tell there is a club in Craig that started doing the same thing, I just did not pay that much attention when they were talking about it as I REFUSE to deal with I-70 traffic on the weekends.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

SH / Guys:

When I can trust that the fire another person starts on their land, stays on their land, then no problem doing away with such rules. Problem is that no one has been able to train a fire to burn only their property and not their neighbors.

Can't blame the NRA for not wanting to keep active a range area prone to fires. Makes a lot of sense to me. But then again I live in an area prone to forest fires.

LR55

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Sticks and all,
            I got an email from Ken Mestas, the Programs Director at the WC. He says in part:
            " We have closed our Coal Canyon Area which is located in a heavily wooded area of the property, in the past we have allowed a select few to shoot in this canyon and as of right now we have offered these folks an alternative shooting venue located closer to our other ranges. All of our other ranges are open for business and operating as usual."

So there might be hope for your monthly happy-moment...!
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

You guys would freak out with the prescribed burns the government does in the Midwest states. To manage public lands.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Sticks - you're my hero. A Front Ranger who forgoes the weekly "Who Can Fit The Most Sh!t on Top of Their Subaru Competition." Given the traffic through the valley thus far this summer, the finals for the "Who Can Go The Longest Without Ever Thinking to Grease Their Trailer's Axle Bearings" competition, held every year on the July 4th weekend, should be a doozy.

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                SH / Guys:

When I can trust that the fire another person starts on their land, stays on their land, then no problem doing away with such rules. Problem is that no one has been able to train a fire to burn only their property and not their neighbors.

Can't blame the NRA for not wanting to keep active a range area prone to fires. Makes a lot of sense to me. But then again I live in an area prone to forest fires.

LR55
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Bad news. The Whittington Center has decided to close the area that we hold the Sporting Rifle Match to all shooting events for the remainder of this year and possibly further into the future. Therefore, all scheduled regular Sporting Rifle Matches, Sporting Rifle AR matches and the Sporting Rifle Team Match are cancelled for 2018. The Magnum Rifle match which is held on the front side of the Whittington Center will continue as currently scheduled. We will post any developments regarding the future of the Sporting Rifle Match here as well as the Match Website.
                  If they open it back up in 2019, then I will be very happy. My concern is NOW. Going into DTs already just because I know I have nothing to get my fix in July.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Sticks - you're my hero. A Front Ranger who forgoes the weekly "Who Can Fit The Most Sh!t on Top of Their Subaru Competition." Given the traffic through the valley thus far this summer, the finals for the "Who Can Go The Longest Without Ever Thinking to Grease Their Trailer's Axle Bearings" competition, held every year on the July 4th weekend, should be a doozy.

I was under the impression that the Sporting Rifle Matches were held on NFS land, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, this is what I was referring to. As of June 1, human beings are literally not allowed off pavement in the entire Sante Fe National Forest, which is public land effectively owned by all citizens:

"SANTA FE NATIONAL FOREST
                    FOREST CLOSURE

The following acts are prohibited on all National Forest System lands within the Santa Fe National Forest as described below in the following counties: Rio Arriba, Los Alamos, Sandoval, Santa Fe, San Miguel and Mora, within the state of New Mexico. The “Restricted Area” is described below, and is depicted on the map found here order and map

PROHIBITIONS
                    • Going into or being upon the Restricted Area

EXEMPTIONS
                    • Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically exempting them from the effect of this Order.
                    • Any Federal, State or Local Officer, or member of an organized firefighting force or other forest service personnel in the performance of an official duty.
                    • Residents using roads in the Restricted Area to the extent necessary to access their private property.

RESTRICTED AREA
                    The Restricted Area includes all National Forest System lands, roads and trails within the Santa Fe National Forest within the following counties: Rio Arriba, Los Alamos, Sandoval, Santa Fe, San Miguel and Mora, within the state of New Mexico. See map at order and map

PURPOSE
                    This order is necessary to protect public health and safety due to extreme fire danger."

The restrictions have been implemented in other areas, including Bandolier as well as some BLM lands.

Hey, it's a drought and it's a bad one. But it's a region that will always have droughts and always had fires started by lightning. Until we showed up and started putting them out. Leading to denser, less healthy forests and grasslands that compete for a limited supply of water and that increase fire risk. If the Southwest makes it through this drought without a major catastrophe, the fire risks will only be higher during the next drought. It's the problem no one has an answer to and the conversation no one wants to have. But in the meantime, the closures have a devastating economic impact and the Federal Government essentially ends up picking winners and losers. I'm surprised Stage 1 hasn't been implemented where I am yet, and if the current trend continues, I can see Stage 2 by the weekend of the 4th. Stage 3 and a pretty significant portion of my business gets hit hard. As well as my employees who get paid for the hours. But hey, the Globalists insured $5 million 2nd and 3rd homes up on the mountain will be safer. Maybe I could stomach the concept better if fires that arise from natural causes (ie lightening) were allowed to burn their course....
                    SH:

Here is what you said. "The federal government basically tells you that you can't be trusted to use YOUR land."

I live about a mile from a huge National Forest. Restrictions and bans on camping, back country travel, etc when it gets into July and August. Same in the winter due to avalanche dangers. Support such restrictions 100%.

Been around more than one fire on firing ranges and have seen just how fast and massive they can become in a matter of minutes. And how long it can take to get one under control. And the amount of destruction they can cause. Lightning is one thing. People lighting up a camp fire or doing some outdoor burning during a ban is quite another. Just like many gun clubs around here that ban the use of tracers for most if not all of the year. Some ranges actually close due to the risk of sparks from jacketed bullets hitting rocks down range. It is a very real risk, not made up.

The Feds and local governments are smart to have such regulations and the NRA is smart to close off that area to shooting during extreme fire dangers. One time where I agree with a government telling me what I can and can't do on my own land.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Sticks - you're my hero. A Front Ranger who forgoes the weekly "Who Can Fit The Most Sh!t on Top of Their Subaru Competition." Given the traffic through the valley thus far this summer, the finals for the "Who Can Go The Longest Without Ever Thinking to Grease Their Trailer's Axle Bearings" competition, held every year on the July 4th weekend, should be a doozy.....
                      I have 10 acres and a cabin outside of Kremmling on Gore Pass. Should only be a 2 hour drive to and fro. Used to be a 2 hour drive. Now on weekends unless I leave at 0600 on Sat, it's a 4 hour drive up, and coming back on Sunday evening is north of 5. Holiday weekends - if you see me on I-70 between Golden and Dillon, call the police, someone has a gun pointed at me.

Last trip up on a holiday. I did not have anywhere to be until afternoon the next day. We opted to stay at the cabin until 8:00pm. Everything was golden all the way to Dillon, and even then traffic looked stupid light even for a weekend. Did not get home until 1:30am. Traffic came to a dead stop 1 mile east of Eisenhower, then it was the creepy-crawl all the way down to Idaho Springs.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post

One time where I agree with a government telling me what I can and can't do on my own land.

LR55
                        Of course you agree - your a chosen winner despite the fact that you chose to live near a forest that has a high fire risk. Meanwhile, when Public Land is closed to someone like me and I'm told I can't be trusted to walk my dog in the woods 200 yards from my doorstep because I might be that one bad apple who is going to break the law, its really no different than liberals saying you should be allowed to have a firearm because you might be the bad apple who is going to shoot up a school. And I would have a lot of free time to walk my dog if I am forced to forgo $3-5k jobs shuttling weddings and corporate groups to enclosed "cabins" on National Forest Land. When a fire could just as easily be started by the same groups on private land.

And nothing to do with shooting ranges here, there is obviously a wisdom to prohibiting it when risks are elevated. And the potential liability if a fire spreads off your property.

Edit add: But if it's such a big deal and a potential disaster scenario, I wouldn't complain if the government wrote me a check.
                        Last edited by StoneHendge; 06-10-2018, 12:06 AM.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Of course you agree - your a chosen winner despite the fact that you chose to live near a forest that has a high fire risk. Meanwhile, when Public Land is closed to someone like me and I'm told I can't be trusted to walk my dog in the woods 200 yards from my doorstep because I might be that one bad apple who is going to break the law, its really no different than liberals saying you should be allowed to have a firearm because you might be the bad apple who is going to shoot up a school. And I would have a lot of free time to walk my dog if I am forced to forgo $3-5k jobs shuttling weddings and corporate groups to enclosed "cabins" on National Forest Land. When a fire could just as easily be started by the same groups on private land.

And nothing to do with shooting ranges here, there is obviously a wisdom to prohibiting it when risks are elevated. And the potential liability if a fire spreads off your property.

Edit add: But if it's such a big deal and a potential disaster scenario, I wouldn't complain if the government wrote me a check.
                          Huh???

You are making absolutely no sense at all.

But please, don't try to explain. Lets just get back to finding a shooting venue for Sticks.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

The WC Program Director said all ranges but one are open (the Coal Canyon one, and they offered a different range for those guys that were shooting there)...
                            This was an email to me on June 8th.
                            So..... seems as though there might be something for our guy if he wants to go to the Whittington Center?
                            What am I missing?
                            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

I am not the match director, so I can not presume to know what or why on other ranges. Might be that they don't want to pull all 75 targets and trying to set them again in another location (then down and replace in 3 months) if there is hope of starting up again next year.

I may just have to set up some targets around the plant site at work (exiled to Nebraska) and shoot little mini matches of 12 or 18 rounds a couple times a week.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X