• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

New Mile Range in Indiana

This placed just opened up their mile range near Columbus, Indiana.

Watson Chambers Defense Institute Online

Looks like a nice place but not sure about the rates. Anybody shooting a mile range, if so; what the rates/requirements?
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Private ranges or clubs can pretty much dictate how much your fee is, and indentured service time. If a person wants to shoot there, then they will have to pay to play.

I gave up on membership ranges in CO. Years long waiting lists to get in, or too far to make it worth it.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

We've got one out here - Peacemaker Natl Training Ctr, but it has a waiting list... and I only sign up for a class or 2 since 1K is not my steady diet.
      'Course if I were out west where 1000 is pretty much anywhere to be found maybe it might be different; but then I'd be like Sticks and just go find a spot on BLM or whatever land to shoot.
      If you're seriously into thousand yard competition then you've already made up your mind to pay the freight...
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I would beg to pay $500/year to be able to shoot at a range like that. Keeps the riff raff with poor muzzle awareness and lack of etiquette away.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          I would beg to pay $500/year to be able to shoot at a range like that. Keeps the riff raff with poor muzzle awareness and lack of etiquette away.
          There is that.

BLM land shooting, or any open space is worse.

Couple trips ago, the group shooting across the road from me had not 1, but 2 NDs in 10 minutes...by the same person. Nobody hurt, but my blood pressure was a touch high.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            There is that.

BLM land shooting, or any open space is worse.

Couple trips ago, the group shooting across the road from me had not 1, but 2 NDs in 10 minutes...by the same person. Nobody hurt, but my blood pressure was a touch high.
            Oh I know - I'm sure you heard what happened up here last weekend. First, one of your neighbors decided to shoot Tannerite at the Minturn Range on NFS land last Saturday. Started a fire and luckily the fire department got there in time (it's a bit remote) and stopped it from spreading. He got charged with reckless endangerment and 4th degree arson.

Then, that afternoon, a group of guys started the Wolcott fire that was over 400 acres at its peak. Rumour is they were shooting Tannerite too, but they are still on the lam and let's just say the local paper keeps things quiet if they are told to. That shooting area is downright scary. Open beers "hidden" in the back of trucks and heck, one might as well take a hit off the pipe while they're at it. I think I was the only person not drinking or getting high the one (and only) time I went there.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

Sounds like things vary greatly on private ranges.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the membership is the way to go on this one.
              ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• jason miller
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                Oh I know - I'm sure you heard what happened up here last weekend. First, one of your neighbors decided to shoot Tannerite at the Minturn Range on NFS land last Saturday. Started a fire and luckily the fire department got there in time (it's a bit remote) and stopped it from spreading. He got charged with reckless endangerment and 4th degree arson.

Then, that afternoon, a group of guys started the Wolcott fire that was over 400 acres at its peak. Rumour is they were shooting Tannerite too, but they are still on the lam and let's just say the local paper keeps things quiet if they are told to. That shooting area is downright scary. Open beers "hidden" in the back of trucks and heck, one might as well take a hit off the pipe while they're at it. I think I was the only person not drinking or getting high the one (and only) time I went there.

When I lived in Denver, I'd drive to the range out by Hot Sulphur Springs and usually be the only one there. Great way to spend a day. Later ended up living 12 minutes from the range between BV and Salida. Used to stop by on my home from work pretty regularly. Also made it to the range by the GJ airport a few times while visiting a buddy who lived in Fruita. I thankfully never once encountered anything like what you're describing. I couldn't believe how good the public, free(!) ranges in CO were.

Back in Indiana now, where the public ranges don't compare and where it pretty much means a 2 hour drive to the homestead if I want to shoot anything longer than 200 yards.

And I grew up in the county bordering to the east of Columbus. Doubt I'll ever step foot anywhere near this range, but it would be pretty cool to check out. Even as a spectator...

Comment

• Rockhound
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2018

You guys make me very happy that I can walk out my back door and shoot pretty well any distance. The only downside, is the range brass is all mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X