Clear All
  • LT Dann
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2018

Keeping the Grendel cool at the range

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Well first thing is don't use a thin profile barrel and the for me I like to give bout 2 minutes between each shot and bout 10 minutes break between each 5 round mag.

I also take a small desk top fan to the range and keep it blowing on the rifle at all times.

I speak from first hand knowledge on the thin profile have two 18 inch light weight jp barrels and if I rip throw a 5 round make quickly is hot and will effect groups on the next mag.

Hope this helps sir.

Forgot to add use a short handguard with lots of openings so the barrel can breath easyer.

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

you could always do what maxim did........................
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

• Keep the BCG locked back between strings so air can circulate through the barrel.
        • Wait longer between shots.
        • Do your accurate shooting for groups early in the session and then do drills or plinking.
        • Bring a fan to the range and point it at the barrel. It will also blow the boiling air (mirage) away from above the barrel seen through the scope at high magnifications.
        • Use a barrel mirage shield like a strip of cardboard or a strip of venetian blind.
          http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-carbon-fiber/
        • Buy or build a barrel-cooling fan like this one;

The BarrelCool is an innovative, compact barrel-cooling device that also serves as an empty-chamber safety flag. A small, battery-powered fan drives cooling air through the barrel's bore. Yes it really works -- manufacturer-provided data shows that BarrelCool significantly reduces the time it takes to cool down a hot barrel. Look at the chart above to see what to expect.

I just wait longer and keep the BCG locked back. Also, if the air is too still I dial down the magnification.
        Last edited by Klem; 08-16-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

I usually take 5-6 guns with me. Shoot one then move to the next.....
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• kcb38
            Warrior
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Bring a fan to the range and point it at the barrel. It will also blow the boiling air (mirage) away from above the barrel seen through the scope at high magnifications.
            That's smart. A battery operated fan would keep the air moving and reduce fogging too (a big problem for me lately) plus it could help to keep gnats out of your face (another big problem lately). I don't see it doing a lot to cool the barrel but still, the only drawback I can see with it is that it's one more thing to carry. I'm off to Amazon to see what they have in the way of battery operated fans. I think I've seen some with rechargeable batteries too.
            - Kirk -

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Or you could buy a big yeti and keep your guns in it.

They make their own ice I’m told

Mark Twain

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by kcb38 View Post
                I'm off to Amazon to see what they have in the way of battery operated fans. I think I've seen some with rechargeable batteries too.
                Johnny's Reloading Bench has used a couple of chamber fans too. Says they work well.

I like the idea and want to make my own. I'm thinking a fan blowing into a funnel with a plastic hose stuck on it. The fan and battery pack will sit on the bench with the hose stuck in the chamber.

Don't need a giant fan, you can only move so much air through the small bore. And use standard battery sizes that you can get at WM or HF and pop into a normal charger.
                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Randy, i would suggest looking for one of the small fans used to keep electronics cool. Look on the back of a computer or tv receiver. They are very small and shouldn’t require much battery power.

Mark Twain

Comment

• kcb38
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

At first I thought it was a great idea but I'm not sold on the barrel cooling fans. I looked into it recently and it didn't seem to me that they increased the rate of cooling by any significant margin. I'll have to look up the test I found and post the link.
                    - Kirk -

Comment

• kcb38
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2017

Here's one test. I think I saw another with similar results. If you're dead set on making one you can use a battery operated air mattress inflator. Coleman makes one, Walmart sells them...
                      Do rifle barrel coolers work? If you shoot a lot  of rifles you’ve undoubtedly run into the problems associated with hot barrels; increased fouling, shots ‘walking’ and increased …
                      - Kirk -

Comment

• Randy99CL
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Thanks for the responses!

For that particular test the guy measured the temp of the barrel at the handguard but I'm more concerned with lowering the temp at the throat of the bore. I wonder if a fan might extend barrel life by decreasing erosion.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

A test I'd like to see is sticking a temperature probe into the chamber throat after a string of shots.
                          Then see how much of a difference a fan can make over time.

Comment

• Gusmeister
                            Warrior
                            • May 2017

It is not much of a problem in cold weather (PA) but summer is tough. I keep promising myself to get a chamber chiller but never seem to get around it. So far my solution is to bring 2 or 3 rifles.

Comment

• kcb38
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                              Thanks for the responses!

For that particular test the guy measured the temp of the barrel at the handguard but I'm more concerned with lowering the temp at the throat of the bore.
                              If you did this test at the chamber you'd probably see a bigger temp drop because the heat transfer from the hottest region of the barrel will be faster than cooler areas. The question is though, steel being an excellent conductor, what is the temp difference from the chamber to the spot on the barrel he measured? That would tell you the difference in the rate of heat transfer.

Edit: wow my thermodynamics prof is probably turning over in his grave. Edited to say delta T would be highest where the barrel's hottest.
                              Last edited by kcb38; 08-20-2018, 02:23 AM.
                              - Kirk -

Comment

Working...
                              X