• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulsey1975
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Need help.

I need to order a lighter weight barrel. I have a 24 shilen and need a 18 inch to hunt with. It will be shot suppressed. I am looking at wilson combat, rainer arms ultramatch, and the last one is a criterion hybrid. All about the Same weight. I don't weight on wilson. Rainer says they will give you another barrel if the one they send you wont shoot 1/2 inch 100 yards. I thought about jp but they are more. Also what is the opinion on standard adjustable gas block vs bleed off style. I want 1/2 or less barrel.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Just my opinion but I’d go with either the Wilson Combat or Criterion with rifle length gas system. If your looking at the Wilson Combat 18” hunter it is more expensive and looks heavier than either the other Wilson Combat 18” barrel or the Criterion which is $299 from Brownell’s.

The Rainier uses an .80 diameter gas block whereas the Wilson and Criterion both use .750. Rainier used to use a non SAAMI spec chamber but not sure now. The Rainier Ultra Match looks like a pretty heavy profile.

I’ve never used a gas bleed off adjustable gas block but read they are louder and can release gas which can add heat to your hand guard depending on how close the gas block port is to the hand guard.

I have a Faxon 18” group buy barrel and really like the weight and handling of my 18” 6.5 Grendel. The new Green Mountain 18” barrel with rifle length gas system would make a very light hunting AR-15 using a suppressor. I also like the black QPQ finish of my Faxon. For the price the Group buy GM barrel looks really good for $157 shipped.

Can’t say what kind of accuracy your wanting but my Faxon is a keeper. BFT posted today the 18” barrels are finished and have shipped.

Gentlemen, Warriors, and Vile Unwashed Masses of the Grendel Horde, our MONSTER 18 barrels are complete and are being shipped to me, so ordering is now open. These combine the shortest barrel length reliably usable with a smooth-shooting Rifle-Length Gas System (RLGS) and longer handguards. Perfect for hunters and competitors

Comment

• Hulsey1975
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2017

Rainer uses grendel type 2 I think.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I talked with Mark from PF this weekend at the Dulles gun show and he told me he has another 18" criterion like the one he had on here a while ago.
        Maybe give him a call tomorrow and see if it's still there, if so it would be da bomb for you.
        He's kinds busy but keep calling...
        Precision Firearms.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

If you want a barrel in the same league as your Shilen then Lilja has an excellent reputation.

Your 24" heavy profile will be about 4.2lbs (Shilen doesn't list weights but Lilja does and has the same 24" profile). Lilja's 18" with 0.75" gas is 2.5lbs. Or fluted is 2.16lbs (but costs more). Or you can go a 20" 'AR740' profile which is 2.4lbs and get a gunsmith to shave 2" off the end and re-crown. Guaranteed to be less than half the weight of your current 24".

What is the advantage of a bleed-off over a normal adjustable gas block? Never used them so wondering.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

On a rifle that I acquired (Vltor VIS monolithic upper, 24" Lilja), it came with both the bleed off type gas block, and an adjustable carrier. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-...table-carrier/

My first time shooting my suppressor (Omega 30) last weekend on the rifle with both, all I did was adjust the 4 clicks to suppressed and the rifle cycled and locked, ejection was identical to previous settings (wide open, and gas block 1 click past bolt lockback - not into the bleed off position). I did not get any gas or any of the reported suppressed AR blowback into my face.

Others that have the bleed off system adjusted properly, I have read reporting the same. Minimal to no blowback in the face.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Hulsey1975
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

No love at all for the rainer ultramatch

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Hulsey1975 View Post
                No love at all for the rainer ultramatch
                Most members here prefer our barrels to have a sammi chamber and that maybe a reason why the Rainer barrel doesn't seem to be getting much love, but I'm not sure really.

I looked at them but for the price I can get a for sure sammi chambered barrel in a profile I like better that I know will shoot for less money.

Hope this helps and hope you find a barrel to your liking sir.

Comment

• Hulsey1975
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

What is a type 2 chamber. Rainer makes 1/2 guaranteed group.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Hulsey1975 View Post
                    What is a type 2 chamber. Rainer makes 1/2 guaranteed group.
                    Honestly I don't know.

I have heard it's sammi chamber and the type 2 is meaning the bolt has a .136 bolt face.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

The 1/2" guarantee is interesting but also a bit absurd. Most people are not capable of pulling that off even if the gun actually shot 0moa. My guess is they will make it quite difficult to prove that it does not shoot 1/2moa or they are just banking on people not checking. I would be interested to hear someone's experience with this guarantee especially someone who tried to return it for not being 1/2moa.

There are so many other factors that go into accuracy that the barrel cannot account for.

Shooter skill
                      Quality of the ammo
                      Muzzle device
                      Trueness of receiver
                      Barrel nut torque
                      Handguard style
                      Scope magnification
                      Scope quality
                      What if you use iron sights?!

I would look for some fine print as this guarantee cannot be made without requiring it to be in a lead sled with a load worked up specifically for this gun at an indoor range.
                      Last edited by Sixoeight; 10-02-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        I talked with Mark from PF this weekend at the Dulles gun show and he told me he has another 18" criterion like the one he had on here a while ago.
                        Maybe give him a call tomorrow and see if it's still there, if so it would be da bomb for you.
                        He's kinds busy but keep calling...
                        Precision Firearms.
                        So has the group buy 6 Grendel faded away?

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                          ?? Not sure what you're asking, but group buys are open until the thread title says CLOSED...
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

If shooting 18" suppressed, I highly recommend going RLGS unless you have a flow-through can.

The LaRue 18" MLGS with Tranquilo suppressor are designed to work together from under the same roof.

Most 18" MLGS set-ups, even with .076" gas ports, have too much plug dwell and accumulation with a suppressor, so back pressure causes too fast of a cyclic rate, resulting in more wear on critical parts like extractors and bolts. Even with adjustable gas, you can't really get it into the happy cyclic rate window all of the time.

With RLGS 18", you stay in the happy window of cyclic rate for AR15 gas system timing.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                              No the group buy is still open till we get enough orders.

Mark Hostetter
                              Precision Firearms
                              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                              X