• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Steel targets for 1000 yards

I was previously limited to one range that was 200 yards, then a desert range that i could get to 600, now i have one i can go to 2k if i want to.
    I plan now on moving up to 1k in the next two months or so but was wondering is there a rule of thumb to use as to which size steel gong to use at this distances?

I currently have a 6", a couple 8", and one 8x12"(small IDPA), but not sure those are gonna cut it at those ranges.
    I'm also guessing scope has a part in there too. The one i plan on using is an SWFA 12x42 fixed

Any consensus on that? thanks
  • imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

I had a 12" square steel plate and I was good with it until about 500 yards. After that wind really became an issue with knowing whether I missed b/c of windage or elevation. I found this steel plate on ebay and ebay had a coupon code so I got a great deal (about $100 total).

Definitely no thicker than 3/8", the plate I have in the link above is pushing 70lbs so it's manageable as long as I can drive to where I;m shooting. If I have to walk the plate that'd get old really quick. The furthest I've walked it was 200 yards when I wanted to change shooting distance.. it was stupid annoying.

I use it in conjunction with "the last stand" brackets for the legs and a couple pieces of heavy belt for the plate itself. Even though the last stand suggest 5' rebar I use 4' pieces with no issues but where I shoot is relatively flat.

Comment

• SightedIn
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Holy cow wow yeah 70lbs is a behemoth. Good deal though if it can be had for $100
      I assume the rebar you use is 1/2"? I use 3/8" rebar with chains for my others, but i'm sure they couldn't support a plate that heavy

Comment

• Marine24
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2018

Bigger the better, but imaguy3's comments apply. Whatever you pick, you have to hump or drive out there. As a general rule, I typically choose a 2-3 MOA target so at 1000 yards, it is a 20x20" square or 20" diameter circle/30x30 or 30" diameter. Good glass as you noted, is important. I need a good spotter too to mark my misses because I can't do it by myself worth a crud.

Comment

• imaguy3
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

This is what I use for the a-frame... You MUST have two pieces across for the large plate to support the weight... I did use 1/2" rebar. I also found that taking an angle grinder and beveling the ends, as well as using clearcoat spraypaint helped the bars to slide through easier (as well as not get rusty on the hands). I have a video on my phone (and on facebook) of me ringing it at 660... unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it on here. But it works very well and I'm happy with it.

To carry the big plate, if you have to walk, I find it easiest to hold the plate above my head with arms locked out.. Problem is then getting the pieces of rebar with you, so then you have to make two trips unless you can fashion a sling to carry it all. When I carried it 200 yards I did it fully assembled and it was essentially like holding a half curl... that required a cple small breaks.

The Last Stand DIY target stand kit is hands down the best target stand on the market. Check out this brief video with creator of The Last Stand, Greg Gempler demonstrating exactly how to set up your new Last Stand target system.

I then use these for the my small 12"x12" 1/2" plate... I just use 1 cross piece b/c you have to practically hammer to get 2 in this... I do have to say though, it's taken direct shots from 12g slug, 223, 40, and 30 cal rifle and can hardly tell.

This is what I used for the large 24" plate. I looped it over and drilled a hole, I had to use 1/2" hardware instead of what it came with though, and I can slide my two cross pieces through easily. B/c it's looser it also allows it to swing/ring a little better.
          Last edited by imaguy3; 12-17-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

Here I uploaded the video from my phone to youtube. You can see the setup (I apologize for the mirage and sun reflecting off the target). Using the 4 foot pieces of rebar the target sits just a couple inches off the ground.

But this lets you hear how that big plate sounds at distance and you can see how the setup works. I have also since learned how to use the "pro" setting on my phone's camera so I can tone down the whiteness of the plate next time lol.

These are with my 280ai... at this range the grendel does not hit with nearly as much authority, it's enough to create small bullet splashes on the white paint that are visible with my scope and I can faintly hear it. It just doesn't move the target really at all. The first faint noise after the shot is echo, then the dull thud that's louder is the plate.

Last edited by imaguy3; 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

I made "A" frame stands and cross bar from #5 rebar, and hung my plates (3/8 AR) from strips of conveyor belt. 3" Fire hose works well too.

Size - that is dependent on how much you want to challenge yourself.

I have access to the scrap AR at work, and my plasma cutter. I have plates from 2" out to 12" in circles and squares in 1" increments. I push myself and try to set them no larger than 1.5 MOA. Example, a 6" plate at 400 yards requires a 1.5 MOA shot to impact.

NOTE - a 4" plate hung at 300 will get some swing, even from a Grendel. A solid hit from my PRC will require me to go set the target back up after it does 2.5 spins then falls over. I got tired of walking so I quit shooting it that close.

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                I made "A" frame stands and cross bar from #5 rebar, and hung my plates (3/8 AR) from strips of conveyor belt. 3" Fire hose works well too.

Size - that is dependent on how much you want to challenge yourself.

I have access to the scrap AR at work, and my plasma cutter. I have plates from 2" out to 12" in circles and squares in 1" increments. I push myself and try to set them no larger than 1.5 MOA. Example, a 6" plate at 400 yards requires a 1.5 MOA shot to impact.
                I used fire hose initially b/c I had some pieces for free. Unfortunately when I shot with less skilled people, it got chewed up and gave way pretty quick.

I also like to challenge myself with the small targets at longer range but got frustrated with the lack of feedback on missed shots, I found myself wasting ammo chasing things with wind or elevation problems rather than learning and improving. That's why I went so big with my long plate. I then made little cardboard cutouts so I can paint diff. sized targets on the large plate.

This allows me to have my goal of the small target, yet gives me the feedback I need to improve and learn from wind calling or truing my ballistics.

This is the one I use the most. I can just choose to paint the outer ring which is an 8" circle, or just the inside which is a 3" circle. I also have a 1" circle I can paint too.

This is on my 12" plate here.

Here's a screenshot from the video above, you can see I just use the thin outer ring, so I can see my shots inside better. I found impacts on the orange paint didn't provide enough contrast when viewing far away.
                Last edited by imaguy3; 12-18-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by SightedIn View Post
                  I was previously limited to one range that was 200 yards, then a desert range that i could get to 600, now i have one i can go to 2k if i want to.
                  I plan now on moving up to 1k in the next two months or so but was wondering is there a rule of thumb to use as to which size steel gong to use at this distances?

I currently have a 6", a couple 8", and one 8x12"(small IDPA), but not sure those are gonna cut it at those ranges.
                  I'm also guessing scope has a part in there too. The one i plan on using is an SWFA 12x42 fixed

Any consensus on that? thanks
                  SI:

Two minutes minimum. Four minutes ideal.

May want to look at some worn out saw mill blades. Lighter than 3/8 steel and you can hear the bullet if it hits the steel.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

That redefines the term "Gong" in this context.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• SightedIn
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

Thank you guys for all the great input. After the new year i'll start sourcing the plate.

I just happened to find a new steel supply place near me today and they carry all sorts of ar500 plates!
                      So lucky, never had anything like that around here before.
                      Thanks again!

Comment

• brian y
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

If you are shooting at 1000yds by your self i would recommend 24"x24" and paint it white,
                        Attached Files
                        NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• 82HALO
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2015

Ouch, just searched for sawmill blades...$400 on ebay!! That's one expensive target!!

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 82HALO View Post
                            Ouch, just searched for sawmill blades...$400 on ebay!! That's one expensive target!!
                            82H:

Got to go to a mill or scrap metal yard and see if you can get one that isn't serviceable anymore. The ones on E-bay all seem to be re-furbished.

Another one I have shot are plow disks that were unserviceable. Those make a nice ping when you blast them. A guy could hear that ping at 1000 yards as long as the wind is in his favor. I have shot them to 600 and my bullets penetrated them but I wasn't shooting a Grendel. My bet is the 5mm thick disks won't get holes in them at 1K with a Grendel. Or a guy can try to bodge two of them together but eventually they will get destroyed. New ones are about $20.00. I bet scrap yard ones are $5.00.

I have a bunch of steel. Most made by MGM but some made locally. The MGM stuff will hold up. The steels I got from a local mill tended to fold after a couple of hundred center hits with M-118. Turned them around and continued to march.

I would surely go to a steel recycling place and search their warehouse for sawmill blades, plow disks, or anything else that will probably work. A guy could pick up a dozen busted plow disks for a good field fire range and not have to get a lowboy to carry them.

Hang them from engineer pickets and you are good to go.

LR55

Comment

• Keef
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2017

I cut the used discs into 4 triangle shaped things then hang em and shoot em. @100yrd grendel goes through or dents in very badly. @200 they can take a bunch of shots and these are very thin cutting disks. If you hang the 4 together there is no doubt when you hit them or not. lol Catch a farmer and the right time and I bet you can get all you want for free right now. Scrap is basically worthless.

Comment

Working...
                              X