• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dead Center Miss
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

Grendel 3 gun?

Anyone here ever shoot 3 gun with the Grendel? I've been shooting USPSA for going on 2 years now, but have always wanted to get into 3 gun so am shooting a man on match tomorrow.

Both the ARs I have right now are in Grendel so that's what I'll being running. Going to run my 24" radical arms tomorrow shooting 100gn ELDs. Furthest targets are only 80 yards out. I have a 3.5-14 power scope on the rifle. 20 round mag for my first one and 10 rounders after that.

Running a mossberg 500 pump for my shotgun and a Glock G34 with a Razor on it for pistol.

Any tips for me?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I've never shot a 3 gun match, but I think the long barrel and optic will be a handicap. Speed and maneuverability is what you want. If you have a 16" and a RDS I think you would do fine, unless you are shooting poker chips. Just need to know your hold over/under.

If you have never shot your scope at PB range, you are in for a treat. 3x might be a little much for any targets under 30, and you will have a hard time with target acquisition.

Good luck and have fun!!
    Last edited by Sticks; 01-01-2019, 10:28 AM.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dead Center Miss View Post
      Anyone here ever shoot 3 gun with the Grendel? I've been shooting USPSA for going on 2 years now, but have always wanted to get into 3 gun so am shooting a man on match tomorrow.

Both the ARs I have right now are in Grendel so that's what I'll being running. Going to run my 24" radical arms tomorrow shooting 100gn ELDs. Furthest targets are only 80 yards out. I have a 3.5-14 power scope on the rifle. 20 round mag for my first one and 10 rounders after that.

Running a mossberg 500 pump for my shotgun and a Glock G34 with a Razor on it for pistol.

Any tips for me?
      DCM:

We had a couple of guys who did 3 Gun or IPSC with Grendels but could not make MPF safely so went back to the 5.56. I don't see any reason to shoot something more than 5.56 unless I could shoot the Grendel in the same category as the .308.

Again though, not sure if it is only IPSC or 3 Gun or both that have power categories or if the standards today have changed.

LR55

Comment

• shooter545
        Warrior
        • Aug 2012

I used to shoot a lot of USPSA and 3 gun before my daughter got into competitive shooting and I started coaching her.

Sticks is spot on. The long barrel and hit mag scope are going to hurt you, especially if the farthest target is 80 yards. it looks like you have two ARs I would run the shortest, lightest one with the lowest power mag scope that you have. I shot a whole season with an 18" 6.8 SPC ( I know I am probably going to hell for saying that here) rifle set up for 3 gun it is complexly doable with the Grendel BUT as LR55 stated it is not really necessary. 5.56 will do everything that you need in 3 gun.

Now having said all that I would take whatever I had and go shoot. You will learn a lot and have a great time. Most folks there will let you play with their kit/guns and may even loan a gun to shoot. Find out if you like(you will it is as addictive as 6.5 Grendel rifles), look at what other folks are using, borrow gear and find out what you like THEN when you have about 70% of it figured out start buying your gear.

Have fun and good luck at the match. 3 gun is a blast; pun intended!!

Comment

• shooter545
          Warrior
          • Aug 2012

Just noticed you are in Idaho. I have shot the MGM Ironman 3 gun Match 5 times out at the Parma Range. Great Match and great folks.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            I've never shot a 3 gun match, but I think the long barrel and optic will be a handicap. Speed and maneuverability is what you want. If you have a 16" and a RDS I think you would do fine, unless you are shooting poker chips. Just need to know your hold over/under.

If you have never shot your scope at PB range, you are in for a treat. 3x might be a little much for any targets under 30, and you will have a hard time with target acquisition.

Good luck and have fun!!
            I think under normal conditions you would be correct. Todays match was man on man and all the rifle work was standing still at 100 yards so the rifle worked out great.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
              Warrior
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by shooter545 View Post
              Just noticed you are in Idaho. I have shot the MGM Ironman 3 gun Match 5 times out at the Parma Range. Great Match and great folks.
              That's where we shot today.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Well, the match is over, and the grendel ran great. 0 issues with the Radical what so ever. It was a man on man match and all the rifle was was at 100 yards so it worked out pretty well. I made it all the way to the finals and ended up taking 2nd place beginner. Was a total blast and I'm now pricing out stuff to build a 3 gun AR, either in 223 or 6x45.

Comment

• shooter545
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2012

Awesome! Well done Sir, well done!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

3-Gun is normally geared towards .223 Rem, high capacity magazines, low recoil for tight splits at close range, with occasional longer shots out to 300, maybe 400yds.

You can load lighter bullets in Grendel and bring down your splits considerably, but you're limiting yourself with mag capacity.

Grendel would shine in a match where steel targets are engaged rapidly from 200-700yds, but 6mm AR would do better.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      3-Gun is normally geared towards .223 Rem, high capacity magazines, low recoil for tight splits at close range, with occasional longer shots out to 300, maybe 400yds.

You can load lighter bullets in Grendel and bring down your splits considerably, but you're limiting yourself with mag capacity.

Grendel would shine in a match where steel targets are engaged rapidly from 200-700yds, but 6mm AR would do better.
                      I'm on the fence about building a 6x45 for a all around 3 gun rifle.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2018

In the matches I shoot, no one cares the caliber. (Within reason, NO magnums or 357SIG/10MM) I know cause when we first started matches I did shoot my 10MM and had fun! But for me it was simply to get trigger time, not for scores...

The biggest issue with calibers other then the 223/56 is brass... My ranges don't allow pickups. (Sometimes if you stay to pick up and put stay to pickup, can have a portion of brass that's picked up) SO why use a caliber with costly and hard to acquire brass...

I have used my 300 a few times, but mostly just 223/556 cause I don't care if I loose that brass.

CW

Comment

• shooter545
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by cwlongshot View Post
                          In the matches I shoot, no one cares the caliber. (Within reason, NO magnums or 357SIG/10MM) I know cause when we first started matches I did shoot my 10MM and had fun! But for me it was simply to get trigger time, not for scores...

The biggest issue with calibers other then the 223/56 is brass... My ranges don't allow pickups. (Sometimes if you stay to pick up and put stay to pickup, can have a portion of brass that's picked up) SO why use a caliber with costly and hard to acquire brass...

I have used my 300 a few times, but mostly just 223/556 cause I don't care if I loose that brass.

CW
                          100%!!!

This is the one thing that kept me from building a 6.5 Grendel 3 gun rifle; Brass! Of course this was at the end of my 3 gun shooting and before the Hornady AG bulk ammo. IF I was still shooting 3 gun it would be very tempting.

At the MGM Ironman they have these evil spinner targets that you have to make spin over at some distance. They were so hard for me the first year I bought one to practice on at home. The 6.5 G would be perfect for those nasty beasties!

3 gun matches out west tend to have longer shots because they have the room so the Grendel would shine.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2018

Brass is why I'm considering doing a 6x45. Really no work in brass prep, and can use 223 cases easily. The local matches usually go out to 250 yards, but can go out as far as 1200 (they usually let you have a long range/bonus gun for anything past 600)

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dead Center Miss View Post
                              I'm on the fence about building a 6x45 for a all around 3 gun rifle.
                              You won't see any noticeable performance advantage with the 6x45 because it doesn't allow loading of higher BC projectiles, but you will be limited on ammunition supply to your ability to load.

From a big picture perspective, there is no distinguishable performance difference between 6x45 and 5.56 NATO.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X