• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

The $10 steel target stand

Thought i might post this, something i've been using for a while now. Over the years i've used dozens of different iterations of target stands, but this is the one i settled on as being the most practical, easy to make, transportable, and inexpensive. No cutting, sawing, welding required. Is it bulletproof, no, but few, if any are.
    Its main attraction is the cost, so if you do nail it its only a couple dollars to repair.
    Only caveat is that these may not fit in a car, as opposed to an suv/truck

Cost and parts needed:
    $5.00-two 10' length rebar sections($2.50 each, can use either 3/8" or 1/2" depending on plate weight, note: if you use 1/2" its easier to use a torch to bend it
    $1.00-two carabeners( $.050 each, optional really, can use coathanger wire if you want)
    $3.00-two 6" lengths of heavy chain
    $1.00-two 1/2" bolts, nuts, and washers

Mark each rebar at 40" and bend at the two marks 90 degrees, each rebar will look like a huge staple when done
    Wire both sections of rebar together at the top at two points near their corners( coathanger wire works)
    Stand up and using the carabeners hang the chains for the plates
    Attach the chains to the plate with bolts/nuts/washers
    Painting is optional, for rust prevention.
    When setting up the legs should be pushed or hammered into the earth a decent amount

Target can be collapsed for transportation(layed flat anyways)
    Rebar is fairly resistant to gunfire at distances over 100 yards and up to higher power rifles(depending on 3/8" or 1/2" as well), but if hit its at and angle and will usually bend only. It can be bent back.
    I will warn that if plates are hit with a magnum close such as a 300 wmag and the plate loops the stand "may" pull itself out of the ground and tip. Pretty rare though
    Target stand.PNG
  • babue
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Great, simple idea. I have been thinking about a stand for my 2 foot gong and wanted simple and easy to carry.
    Thanks for posting that idea. Next time into Home Depot I will be getting some parts.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Nice idea. I built one for paper targets out of some scrap 1- 1/4" PVC I picked up for free. I put a couple of 90's and t's in it to make a frame and legs. Took a scrap piece of plywood and drilled some holes in it. Secured it to the frame with zip ties. I didn't glue anything so it all breaks down for easy transport or storage. It's big enough to put 3 targets on the board at the same time.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Great idea. Below is a link to what I use. Not trying to hijack, just throwing it out there. These work great if you’re allowed to drive a tpost where you shoot.

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• SightedIn
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
          Nice idea. I built one for paper targets out of some scrap 1- 1/4" PVC I picked up for free. I put a couple of 90's and t's in it to make a frame and legs. Took a scrap piece of plywood and drilled some holes in it. Secured it to the frame with zip ties. I didn't glue anything so it all breaks down for easy transport or storage. It's big enough to put 3 targets on the board at the same time.
          Yep i used to use a very similar(actually still do as my local range only accepts plastic or wood stands, no metal what so ever), i prefer the all steel now for desert runs though, the pvc corners/Ts and pipe if purchased ends up almost more than the steel. And they dont take richochets/fragments well. They still have their place though

Comment

• SightedIn
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            Great idea. Below is a link to what I use. Not trying to hijack, just throwing it out there. These work great if you’re allowed to drive a tpost where you shoot.

https://hangfasttargets.com/products...r-raw-uncoated
            Yep tried those too at one point. They are actually great and cheap but where i shoot we struggle to get the posts in either deep enough or too sandy and they flop over eventually.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

I use the same thing, got the idea from a match that I shoot.

No need to sink the legs, just kick them outward from the plate. The tension on the cross bar keeps it in place...unless you are too close or hitting it with too much energy (can't shoot my design under 300 with my PRC spins the plate 2+ times then the rack falls over).

My legs are welded with a cross bar over the top, then insert the hangar bar through. Allows the angle from the legs to the hangar bar to be closer to 110* instead of 90. A longer hangar bar and 120* angle would keep it solve my close range issue.

Working on a design for collapsible/folding legs for easier transport as I have to carry them out the distance I want to shoot. Gets heavy and awkward carrying 3 racks out to 800y.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

I know this is low cost thread... but I use this and it's not that much more, especially if you just buy the leg braces (although the hangars are awesome).

Anyway it allows you to fold all the rebar flat to itself, and it's short lengths, so it's easy to carry and fits in a car even (especially if you use 4 foot lengths of rebar).

I haven't been able to make it budge and that's shooting a 280ai at 100 yards, I started off using free firehose to hold my steel but eventually ponied up for their hangars too when too many errant shots made the hose tear...

I know it's not the cheapest version, but it sure is nice to never have it fail (and no broken chains to ruin a day on the range).

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

$40 for just the top bracket is not horrible.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• SightedIn
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
                    I know this is low cost thread... but I use this and it's not that much more, especially if you just buy the leg braces (although the hangars are awesome).

Anyway it allows you to fold all the rebar flat to itself, and it's short lengths, so it's easy to carry and fits in a car even (especially if you use 4 foot lengths of rebar).

I haven't been able to make it budge and that's shooting a 280ai at 100 yards, I started off using free firehose to hold my steel but eventually ponied up for their hangars too when too many errant shots made the hose tear...

I know it's not the cheapest version, but it sure is nice to never have it fail (and no broken chains to ruin a day on the range).

https://laststands.com/
                    My buddy uses those they are pretty cool. Nothing wrong with them

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

The $10 steel target stand

Here is my version. Made from 3/4" rebar and large nuts.....requires welding.
                      Attached Files
                      I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• SightedIn
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by GREYBUFF View Post
                        Here is my version. Made from 3/4" rebar and large nuts.....requires welding.
                        Thats pretty awesome, wish i had a welder

Comment

• Cereal Thriller
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2019

Nice looking stand. Should be easy to move and carry not to mention last forever.

I recently made another portable target stand. Lowes has saw horse folding brackets for $7 for the pair. Couple 2x4's 8ft long cut in half for the legs and one for the top. eyebolts, couple pieces of chain to hang my 12"x24"steel torso gong. The top piece of wood is removable and this allows you to hang multiple gongs. Could easily make an 8ft or 12ft long setup of multiple gongs. Well till the weight caused the 2x4 to break.

Comment

Working...
                          X