• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OneHitWonder
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

Kentucky windage

So how many of you choose to use the scope to dial in windage vs. just using the stradia to hold over for 1-20mph winds?

Is there a reason to use the scope dials when you are only fighting wind. From moment to moment the wind fluctuates so why not just go by feel.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

At longer range shooting steel I tend to dial in the windage. If hunting at shorter distances (less than 300 yards) I compensate by aiming to account for the wind using the reticle reference points (Mildot) or by estimating distance by size of target in relation to fine duplex. I commonly refer to this as making a Wag (Wild Ass Guess) shot with a fine duplex. If you shoot enough Waggin it in there can produce results.

I typically varmint hunt and Double Naught Spy is an expert at using this approach (WAG even though he might not use this nomenclature) while hunting hogs! You shoot enough it gets kind of instinctive but it really depends on your situation. I think it is more about the Indian and knowing his equipment than the arrow.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-11-2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

+1. I like the WAG, but prefer the SWAG...Sophisticated WAG

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
        +1. I like the WAG, but prefer the SWAG...Sophisticated WAG
        Lmao I love it. Going to fold that up and put it in my pocket for use later lmao.

Comment

• FRB6.5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2018

Always thought the S was for "Scientific"

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
            Always thought the S was for "Scientific"

It is. That’s method I use out to around 500 or so
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by OneHitWonder View Post
              So how many of you choose to use the scope to dial in windage vs. just using the stradia to hold over for 1-20mph winds?

Is there a reason to use the scope dials when you are only fighting wind. From moment to moment the wind fluctuates so why not just go by feel.
              OHO:

There are a whole bunch of 'if's' in your question.

Easy answer is to use a hold.

Next is to put on a certain amount of windage and use holds from that setting. Used primarily if you are staying in one firing point and shooting in one direction.

Next is to either use your no wind setting or a specific wind setting and wait until the wind conditions match the windage you have on the rifle.

This is based on having a true 'no wind' zero. A difficult task that requires a single load and a pretty large number of zeroing sessions. And, it will be very good if you shoot from one position but as you shift to different positions, it and your elevation zero will probably change. Will such a change make a difference? Depends on the requirements of your shooting task.

LR55

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

I have grown accustomed to dialing elevation past 300 yards, time allowing during hunting, and holding windage with my reticle. I find the wind changes a lot where I hunt and shoot, and can go from calm to gusting in seconds. Works for me.
                Last edited by imaguy3; 01-12-2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2018

Comment

• imaguy3
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by OneHitWonder View Post
                    I finally got out for a first shoot on The Grendel. 20mph+ crosswind. 660yards 5 mil windage hold or 90”.
                    Backed the power down to 6 and walked it in , in two shots.
                    that's quite a bit of hold for the grendel isn't it lol... On the deer I shot this year, same full value 20mph wind, 500 yards with a 280ai I only held 1 mil hah.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

What LR1955 said.

I do a lot of spotting for people and have done so now regularly since 1995.

Reading the wind and giving accurate holds or click values for a shooter (including yourself) is the most difficult, perishable skill in long range shooting.

What I do is model my thinking off of the F-15, F-16, and F/A-18 Lead Computing Optical Sight Heads Up Display mode. I basically give the shooter hold numbers as the wind is doing what it is doing, and the hold call is the shot.

Once we're both on glass and have communicated such, it goes like this...

"1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.6, 1.4, 1.4, 1.3, 1.5....."

They know to hold into the wind and make the shot on whatever call I've given them. I'm watching flags, mirage, and any indicators I can see, then factor in their actual shot once they break a shot and crunch that into my holds.

I enjoy reading and calling the wind, as it is the bottleneck critical skill for success in this discipline, on top of some additional things you need to add to fundamentals (bubble level check).
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        What LR1955 said.

I do a lot of spotting for people and have done so now regularly since 1995.

Reading the wind and giving accurate holds or click values for a shooter (including yourself) is the most difficult, perishable skill in long range shooting.

What I do is model my thinking off of the F-15, F-16, and F/A-18 Lead Computing Optical Sight Heads Up Display mode. I basically give the shooter hold numbers as the wind is doing what it is doing, and the hold call is the shot.

Once we're both on glass and have communicated such, it goes like this...

"1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.6, 1.4, 1.4, 1.3, 1.5....."

They know to hold into the wind and make the shot on whatever call I've given them. I'm watching flags, mirage, and any indicators I can see, then factor in their actual shot once they break a shot and crunch that into my holds.

I enjoy reading and calling the wind, as it is the bottleneck critical skill for success in this discipline, on top of some additional things you need to add to fundamentals (bubble level check).

Comment

Working...
                        X