• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dzeek
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

Better bullet for 1000 yards

Would i be better off loading 107smk or 123 smk for 1000 yards? Will be fired from a 22" jp supermatch barrel in a stright pull ar rifle. Will the speed of the 107 help more than the weight of the 123? Thanks
  • NightFisher
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

I believe you will find that the 107 bullet will slow down faster than the 123 will and at 300-400 yards the 123 will be traveling faster than the 107. The kiss of death to long range accuracy is where the bullet goes trans-sonic as it drops below the speed of sound. A ballistics calculator should tell you where that is for sure, if you don't have access to one let me know what MV you are getting with each and I will let you know where they go trans-sonic.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dzeek View Post
      Would i be better off loading 107smk or 123 smk for 1000 yards? Will be fired from a 22" jp supermatch barrel in a stright pull ar rifle. Will the speed of the 107 help more than the weight of the 123? Thanks
      DZ:

Run a search because this is a very common question.

There is also one common answer. Some swear by the 107 over the 123 and others the 123 over the 107.

A 30 grain capacity case firing a 6.5 mm bullet is a lousy choice for 1000 yards under most environmental conditions.

Advice is to try both and make a decision.

LR55

Comment

• Dzeek
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2018

Thanks nightfisher, if i can get ahold of a chrono ill try the strelok app, and get u the numbers.

Comment

• Dzeek
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          DZ:

Run a search because this is a very common question.

There is also one common answer. Some swear by the 107 over the 123 and others the 123 over the 107.

A 30 grain capacity case firing a 6.5 mm bullet is a lousy choice for 1000 yards under most environmental conditions.

Advice is to try both and make a decision.

LR55
          Ill do the search thanks.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

I compete with my Grendel, running 123 ELD at 2475 fps. Stays supersonic out to 1200 IIRC where I shoot. The killer is the environmentals. Wind and conditions (temp, pressure) changing through the day makes a massive impact on the Grendel past 600 when you are shooting 1.5 MOA or less plates out to 900y. Just off the edge of a 1 shot per target is still a miss - 2 mph off on my wind call.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Gusmeister
              Warrior
              • May 2017

Originally posted by Dzeek View Post
              That is an excellent question. Let me add asking if a TMK bullet will do better at 1000 yards than an SMK? The only way I know is to work up loads and go shoot them. My own experience is with a 20" Odin Works barrel in an AR. The 123gr Hornady ELD shot very well out to and including the 700 yard target. The next Target is a bit over 1,000 yards and the bullet began to yaw and slow down a lot by the time it got there. Switching to the 107 gr SMK the bullet was no more accurate out to 700 yards but did much better at 1000 yards since it did not yaw. All things being equal I think the TMK's should be a bit better at 1000 yards but it's only a guess.

My 2 cents is to work up your best loads, find a day without wind and shoot paper at 1000 yards. Then do it a couple more times and you'll have your answer. Unlike the high altitude guys I am at 500 ft above sea level so the air is thick and slows the bullets down much faster than at 5000 feet.

Edit to add.... as LR55 said, the 6.5 Grendel is not really a 1000 yard cartridge. Well.... maybe it is at high altitude in a bolt rifle with a long barrel but the other 99% of the time it's more like an easy to shoot 700 yard cartridge that is fun to run at longer ranges.
              Last edited by Gusmeister; 02-10-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Dzeek
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2018

Thanks for the response gusmeister

Comment

Working...
                X