Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

Adams Arms piston kits... On Grendel?

Well I traded a guy an old rifle for an Adams Arms piston kit (and some other stuff). Anyway I installed the piston on an old 223 / 16 inch AR and I absolutely love it: Gone is the AR blast right out of the ejection port close to your face... and even the bolt feels more "fluid" because of the spring behind it.

So in terms of "FEEL" and "USAGE", its definitely and improvement.

Of course there is supposed to be increased reliability by virtue of the bolt not getting so hot and dirty... but the ADAMS piston seems kind of flimsy to me, so maybe we are trading off one set of problems for another. I dont know, Time will tell.

My real question is, Has anyone that has adopted one of these things noticed any loss of accuracy?

Will they work on a Grendel or would it need a stiffer bolt spring?

Thanks
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Alexander Arms offers a slightly modified version of this kit under license in the 6.5 Grendel, so, yes, they work on Grendels.

John
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Wonderful!!!! Thanks.

Any thoughts on the loss of accuracy? Is there any truth to that??

Comment

Keep an eye on the buffer tube on the bottom end ...right at the buffer retainer pin.. We have seen wear on the tube using Piston kits on several rifles.. We are still at a loss to totally identify why this is happening .. We guess its from the carrier rear canting down from the piston rod pushing on the gas key the entire distance .. but this is only a guess ..
        we had one customers rifle almost wear through the tube within 400 rds..
        Not all the rifles converted do it and some much more that others
        just keep an eye on it for wear

Thanks
        Smoke

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

I have converted 3, 5.56 and one Grendel to Adam Arms gas piston's without any problem's. They do have a slight increase in recoil but I love them. So far no problem's of any kind.

Comment

• noobshooter

Like montana, I have 3 Adams Arms Piston systems. One in each length: carbine, mid, and rifle. The Mid and Rifle length ones are on two Special Purpose Rifles (SPR) in 5.56. They are as accurate as my other gas impingement SPR. So no difference in accuracy. No issues with buffer tube wear as Adams Arms BCG are designed to eliminate the cant of other piston BCG. Hell, the Adams Arms BCG has an angled bottom end at the rear of the BCG just in case.

Comment

Recommend to purchase the anti-tilt buffers if you are exp. carrier tilt.

Comment

If you don't get that little blast of hot gasses in your face, you also aren't gonna get the lovely smell of burned powder ...... how are you gonna satisfy your need for that fix???

I don't really understand how a piston will change how the BCG interacts with the buffer. I'd really like to see more info on this if anyone has some articles about this issue.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                  I don't really understand how a piston will change how the BCG interacts with the buffer. I'd really like to see more info on this if anyone has some articles about this issue.
                  This is because the typical DI system directs gas pressure immediately to the center line of the the carrier, behind the bolt. That's where the force is then directed straight back through the carrier to cycle the action. A piston kit directs the pressure up at the carrier key, which then tries to cam the carrier down at the rear.

That's the idea anyway.

Comment

I know a guy who says that piston kits negatively affect accuracy.

Like all things guns, each gun is different and effected different so I am sure the only way to know will be to check your groups between before and after and post your results.

Goodluck!

Comment

Working...
                    X