• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Thanks Klem, excellent data. The standard test thing was mostly for the fun of doing it and to see what the shooter can do as a self test. As LR55 posted a 2 inch target at 600 is a bit small. A medium paper plate is 9 inches, would that be too easy, hard or just right for 600 yds?
    LA:

That would be 1 1/2 minutes. A NRA High Power target shot prone unsupported with or without an optic at 600 yards has a two minute ten ring and a one minute X ring. I have seen more than one very good prone shooter shoot 595 and above for a sixty shot match on that target with a X count above 30. At our prone matches, the winner normally shoots a 598 of 600. Most with Palma Rifles shooting .308 in fact.

The F Class target uses a one minute 10 ring and a 1/2 minute X Ring. Since I do not shoot F Class, I am not sure what is possible in terms of fired scores. Klem can tell you.

For either target, scores go down if the winds pick up and are variable or if the sun comes and goes from behind clouds. Mirage plays a major role in scores sometimes.

I have never seen a Grendel shoot well at 600 yards in terms of these targets and specific disciplines. Although I am pretty certain the Grendel can hold two minutes at 600, I doubt it will hold one minute. If nothing more, winds and changes in mirage that the shooter can not detect add up to push the slow moving bullet around.

Personally I would stay with a two minute 10 ring and a one minute X ring. I doubt a Grendel gas gun will hold two minutes all the time at 600 but I think a very well made bolt rifle would.

LR55

Comment

• snell
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2018

High Master............................................ ..... 98.00 and above
      Master............................................ ................. 96.50 to 97.99
      Expert .................................................. ...........94.00 to 96.49
      Sharpshooter...................................... ............. 91.50 to 93.99
      Marksman.......................................... ................ Below 91.49

These are the scores required for various classifications on that tiny F class target.

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

[QUOTE=LR1955;225830]LA:

That would be 1 1/2 minutes. A NRA High Power target shot prone unsupported with or without an optic at 600 yards has a two minute ten ring and a one minute X ring. I have seen more than one very good prone shooter shoot 595 and above for a sixty shot match on that target with a X count above 30. At our prone matches, the winner normally shoots a 598 of 600. Most with Palma Rifles shooting .308 in fact.

The F Class target uses a one minute 10 ring and a 1/2 minute X Ring. Since I do not shoot F Class, I am not sure what is possible in terms of fired scores. Klem can tell you.

For either target, scores go down if the winds pick up and are variable or if the sun comes and goes from behind clouds. Mirage plays a major role in scores sometimes.

I have never seen a Grendel shoot well at 600 yards in terms of these targets and specific disciplines. Although I am pretty certain the Grendel can hold two minutes at 600, I doubt it will hold one minute. If nothing more, winds and changes in mirage that the shooter can not detect add up to push the slow moving bullet around.

Personally I would stay with a two minute 10 ring and a one minute X ring. I doubt a Grendel gas gun will hold two minutes all the time at 600 but I think a very well made bolt rifle would.

LR55[/QU

Holy carp that is some outstanding ability!! A scoped supported rifle is plenty hard enough for me.
        It somewhat wiped me out today doing some ladders at 100 yards, my last group suffered from mental and eye fatigue.
        I need to up my game!

Comment

• SCJim
          Warrior
          • Apr 2019

Thanks for this thread. This Thursday I plan on breaking in the barrel on my first Grendel and this thread has been informative as to what I can realistically expect from it. I really enjoy shooting at 300, 600 and 800 and want a gas gun that can reach out past 300 so I plan on exploring the limits of the Grendel's accuracy within the limits of my own abilities. The rifle is a Sanders Armory upper on a Rock River match lower.

I started shooting long range causally 7 or 8 years ago and started shooting F class for about a year shooting at the low end of the expert lvl in both mid and long range. I won't be able to stretch it out past 100 for a few months but I am looking forward to posting a lot of range reports and load development on it's progress. The goal is to get 10 shot groups less than 1 MOA out to 300 and less than 1.5 MOA at 600 before the end of summer. Whether that is realistic or not remains to be seen. I am not shy about doing a barrel change out or other mods to the rifle if I think it would be worthwhile but there's not too much I can do about the guy pulling the trigger. I think this is going to be a fun summer project

Oh and on the F class targets the 10 ring on a 300 yard is a bit less than a MOA while the 800 has 1.25 MOA 10 ring. That is because the NRA uses the same target at 1000 with a 10 inch 1 MOA X ring. That makes 300 yard contests as tough as the 800 which would get more environmental effects. Never had a chance to play with 1000 yet but will have soon
          Last edited by SCJim; 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

I have come to expect 2 MOA from any Grendel barrel. Ihave a test AR that has had a number of different barrels and for some strange reason I will always have a flyer which will ruin an otherwise excellene 1/2 to 3/4 MOA group. Barrel quality does make a difference.

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

Lemonaid, I started a thread in target and competition section for informal fun. To get some perspective on this myself. My thought was members suggest different challenges and post their results.

I wasn't sure of the response I would get and tried to keep the first one basic so any member could try it. Myself I dont have access to a range beyond 200 yards for example.
              The others aspect is a lot of members come to 6.5 grendel for extended hunting performance in an AR15 and after finding a suitable load focus on terminal ballistics and not refining accuracy.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                Lemonaid, I started a thread in target and competition section for informal fun. To get some perspective on this myself. My thought was members suggest different challenges and post their results.

I wasn't sure of the response I would get and tried to keep the first one basic so any member could try it. Myself I dont have access to a range beyond 200 yards for example.
                The others aspect is a lot of members come to 6.5 grendel for extended hunting performance in an AR15 and after finding a suitable load focus on terminal ballistics and not refining accuracy.
                I have been following your thread with great interest, printed out the targets and just need to get a sweet load to try out your fun challenge.
                Maybe post winner of the month? I noticed there was a one bolt gun entry, might want to separate winners into two categories?

Comment

• Lemonaid
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Herzo, thanks for sharing your results!
                  It looks like you have a very good thing going
                  I would be extremely pleased to get results like that!
                  Only thing lacking........... Pics!
                  Last edited by Lemonaid; 10-31-2019, 04:10 AM. Reason: left out the letter d

Comment

Working...
                  X