Need your thoughts on a trigger for my needs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your thoughts on a trigger for my needs.

I built my 6.5 Grendel as my multi-purpose rifle that I use for deer and coyote hunting as well as in a quarterly steel plate match (200-300 yards) in timed competition. So I need a good crisp consistent, reliable, durable trigger to meet those needs. I've been considering a Rock River 2 stage match trigger.

What are your recommendations for my applications?
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

While I've never used the Rock River trigger in my own rifles, I have put them in builds for other folks. They seem relatively decent for the money. IIRC-- They don't have as good of an internet rep for longevity as a trigger like the geissele though. If you want the top trigger for the moment, I'd have to say go Geissele. They cost a lot more, but are in a whole 'nuther class if the budget allows it. I have KAC match triggers in my rifles, but after having one come out of adjustment I'm leaning heavy towards replacing them with Geissele triggers myself (as my budget will allow).
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

FWIW I'm saving for my first Geissele trigger.. Looking at the SD-E for the same purposes you're talking about.

Comment

Geissele SSA E

Comment

Thinking pretty hard on that one now Costa. It would work well for our 300 yard open sighted sniper event.

Comment

Parallax - I went with with a Geissele after having shot my buddy's LaRue OBR with a Geissele installed...sweet, consistent breaks. Expensive, yes - but you won't be able to blame the trigger in the matches!

Comment

I love my Rock River triggers. However, I love my Geissele's better. They are more expensive. There is some chance on any two stage trigger setup, that the stem on the back of the hammer can break, which means you lose both your sear and your disconnect, which will likely cause a slam fire gun and a runaway until the mag is empty. The chance of that happening with the level of use that I do is negligible, and although I've heard it told, and have seen pictures of a broken hammer, I've never seen it myself. The stem on that part on the Geissele is twice the size, and is less likely to have that problem. The Rock River uses a curved trigger, and the Geissele a straight one. I can't tell any difference in use. I'm sure the indexing of the fingertip is easier to reproduce with a curved trigger, but what do I know. The Geissele has some choices in how much poundage you have in uptake, and the break. The combat trigger has a 2.5 lb uptake, and a 2lb break for a total of 4.5 lbs, and is very satisfactory in my experience. The enhanced trigger has a 2.3 lb uptake and a 1.2 lb break, for a total of 3.5 lbs, and may be too light for me in practical use. The 3-gun trigger has a shortened length of pull and a quick reset with 3.5 lbs pull. I've not tried that one, but it may be quite good. For most of my guns, I have used the Rock river because a lower parts kit has everything and saves a ton of bucks for a quality trigger set. For my best guns, I'll put in a Geissele.

Comment

Geisselle's and RRA are both excellent triggers in their price range.

Call Louque Firearms at 225-206-1908. He might be able to get you a RRA NM 2 stage delivered for around $100.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

two stage always feel like creep to me,but some people like them some dont..but cmc and geisselle are both good

Comment

Get the $170 Geissele. It's hard to go wrong with that one. I've had a lot of bolt carrier clearance issues with several RRA 2-stage triggers, although I hear they have fixed that problem. There is no comparison between an EDM-cut sear surface and MIM. Geissele's EDM cut triggers and hammers are extremely crisp and smooth.

Comment

Ordered the SSA-E last night and they've already shipped. I shoot a lot of military surplus rifles so 2 stage triggers are no problem. I read about and thought over all Geissele had to offer and settled on this one. At least I'll have time to get used to it and practice before our next steel plate match in March.

Thanks for all your replies, this is a good forum.

Comment

Got the trigger today, along with a T shirt and other small gifts. It is installed and I will be trying it out on the range this coming weekend. Report to come.

Comment

• Pancho Villa

Can't wait to hear the report! I was really sold on the geissele when I tried my friend's AR in it a few weeks ago. Building up my own Grendel now and a geissele trigger is going to be at the core.

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

Originally posted by parallax View Post
                            I built my 6.5 Grendel as my multi-purpose rifle that I use for deer and coyote hunting as well as in a quarterly steel plate match (200-300 yards) in timed competition. So I need a good crisp consistent, reliable, durable trigger to meet those needs. I've been considering a Rock River 2 stage match trigger.

What are your recommendations for my applications?

Late response - but, for the record, geissele or the 'Gold Trigger' http://www.americantrigger.com

Comment

Good luck getting the RRA triggers right now... They have been on backorder all over the place for quite some time. I ordered one a while back and have given up. I will soon purchase the Geissele two stage match

Comment

Working...
                              X