• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 55fairlane
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2020

Help with a "budget" match rifle build

Hello all, I need your help and recommendations. I am trying to build a NRA match rifle, around the AR platform, in 6.5G, here are my wants, side charger upper, 20 in barrel. Who makes the better parts for what money? If money were not an issue I would call white oak armerment and order a complete upper. I want to got 6.5G because as a service rifle competitor I drop points at mid rand /XTC with my 223 rock river arms NM, (camp Perry really teaches you to read the wind)
    In my budget build I will use a white oak armerment for end with hand stop, luth-ar butt stock , and a used dpms lower I have laying around. Sights will be Redfield Olympic front and rear.
    I would like your recommendation on parts, or your thoughts on the parts I'm using.

Thank you in advance

Aaron
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

What is "budget" to you?

Comment

• 55fairlane
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
      What is "budget" to you?
      $1000-$1500 with sights and sling

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 55fairlane View Post
        Hello all, I need your help and recommendations. I am trying to build a NRA match rifle, around the AR platform, in 6.5G, here are my wants, side charger upper, 20 in barrel. Who makes the better parts for what money? If money were not an issue I would call white oak armerment and order a complete upper. I want to got 6.5G because as a service rifle competitor I drop points at mid rand /XTC with my 223 rock river arms NM, (camp Perry really teaches you to read the wind)
        In my budget build I will use a white oak armerment for end with hand stop, luth-ar butt stock , and a used dpms lower I have laying around. Sights will be Redfield Olympic front and rear.
        I would like your recommendation on parts, or your thoughts on the parts I'm using.

Thank you in advance

Aaron
        Call Mark at precision firearms and tell him what you need and what your budget is. He will have you cutting X's like you want.

Comment

• NebSig
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2018

I've been really keying in on the Gibbz upper - side charging. But it's pricey as hell for my tastes. Maybe later.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by NebSig View Post
            I've been really keying in on the Gibbz upper - side charging. But it's pricey as hell for my tastes. Maybe later.
            Get the joebobs Spartan upper. It's a direct copy of the gibbz only much cheaper. It's such a close copy of it, even the spare parts gibbz sales fits the joebobs Spartan upper.

Comment

• 55fairlane
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2020

Have any of you guys used Sanders armory? I am liking there upper.....any thoughts on there barrels? The jury is still out on how much to spend on what barrel

Comment

• Gringoloco
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

+1 for the Gibbz upper. I stopped by there storefront to look at their side charger and ended up buying one. Like the fact that you can use any BCG you want with it.

Comment

• 55fairlane
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2020

The Gibbs looks like a quality upper, but will not work for my needs.

Comment

• FLshooter
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

For me ,the barrel matters most.If I were building an AR on a $1500 budget, first thing I would do is order a quality barrel.What good are all those quality upper part gonna do you if the barrel isn’t accurate?

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

To paraphrase an old expert (don't remember who), the barrel is what translates your intentions to the bullet.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        To paraphrase an old expert (don't remember who), the barrel is what translates your intentions to the bullet.
                        I like it!

Comment

• soloelcap
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

55, I have a low budget ghetto Match Rifle upper that is similar you what you what to build with the cheapest parts I could find.

WOA Match handguard and stop, AR Stoner side charging upper and carrier, Monster Grendel bolt and a used barrel I bought off a guy in 6AR 26". The barrel is just a basic Wilson blank chambered by WOA and has 3000+ rounds on it. I use my Service Rifle lower with a Magpul UBR stock.

My advice however is to go with 6AR/243LBC unless you don't handload are dead set on the 6.5 Grendel and a longer barrel since the rules say you can. Barrels in the $300. buck range are easy to find. I have 1/2 doz+ different $300. barrels that are capable of shooting a clean on the MR-1.

Unless you like to shoot irons at 600 throw a scope you have laying around on it, even your service rifle scope will work.

PM if you have any questions.
                          NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• Highbrow
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2019

I agree with solo. 6mm is what you want for high power.

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

I'd leave room in the budget for a really great trigger even if it meant omitting the side charging upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X