1506 yards 6.5 grendel 123g monster match bullets success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

1506 yards 6.5 grendel 123g monster match bullets success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weather conditio ns

On target on 18 inch gong in 4 rounds videos being converted and uploaded now
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

More infor and another video comming when i get back home , shot this off the back of the flatbed cause of the hill i couldnt shoot it prone

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Comment

• kpswihart
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Awesome.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Very cool! FWIW, by my estimates with 20" and typical 123 gr velocity, bullet went transonic somewhere around 1200 yards, and was impacting at about 950 fps. With 250 ft-lb's of energy on impact. Maybe a little more for you, since you're at elevation.

For reference, over that distance energy fell from around 1750 ft-lbs at the muzzle, to 250 ft-lbs at the target. Which, while a lot, is still about the same energy as a police-issued .38 special fired right there.
          4x P100

Comment

• mel
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
            Very cool! FWIW, by my estimates with 20" and typical 123 gr velocity, bullet went transonic somewhere around 1200 yards, and was impacting at about 950 fps. With 250 ft-lb's of energy on impact. Maybe a little more for you, since you're at elevation.

For reference, over that distance energy fell from around 1750 ft-lbs at the muzzle, to 250 ft-lbs at the target. Which, while a lot, is still about the same energy as a police-issued .38 special fired right there.

TY guys , i still cant belive i got my hits with the monster match bullets as they are nowere near as good shooting as the eld-m's i normally shoot

i have all the data ill grab it here in a bit but iirc something like 750fps and 200 ish ftlbs at 1506, i need a spotter when i move it back to 1 mile this week its going to be way to hard to see that gong moving threw the scope , or ill have to take one of my gopros and put it up near the gong , i need more sunlight too i was using 40 power on the scope and it gets to blurry in low light , i can take that scope upto 54x

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by mel View Post
              TY guys , i still cant belive i got my hits with the monster match bullets as they are nowere near as good shooting as the eld-m's i normally shoot

i have all the data ill grab it here in a bit but iirc something like 750fps and 200 ish ftlbs at 1506, i need a spotter when i move it back to 1 mile this week its going to be way to hard to see that gong moving threw the scope , or ill have to take one of my gopros and put it up near the gong , i need more sunlight too i was using 40 power on the scope and it gets to blurry in low light , i can take that scope upto 54x
              That's the biggest challenge I've run into with long distance shooting. When shooting at a gong, once you starting going much past even 600 yards, it can get tough to see your impacts on steel. Particularly when shooting a .223. You really need a buddy on good glass watching and calling your shots. And even then, 1000 yards with .223 is tough, and even 6.5 Grendel can be tough at just 1000 yards, if it's not a small (light) gong. If you're on a 4 MOA gong range, they get huge with distance, while the bullets get weaker with distance. FWIW, they do make flashers that react to the impact, which is helpful.

4x P100

Comment

• mel
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                That's the biggest challenge I've run into with long distance shooting. When shooting at a gong, once you starting going much past even 600 yards, it can get tough to see your impacts on steel. Particularly when shooting a .223. You really need a buddy on good glass watching and calling your shots. And even then, 1000 yards with .223 is tough, and even 6.5 Grendel can be tough at just 1000 yards, if it's not a small (light) gong. If you're on a 4 MOA gong range, they get huge with distance, while the bullets get weaker with distance. FWIW, they do make flashers that react to the impact, which is helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/MagnetoSpeed-.../dp/B078MRNLKS
                ive been eyeballing one of those , my gong is 18 inch in diam and only 3/16's thick its very light but very strong cant punch holes in it with my grendel at 250 yards , i have cracked them at closer ranges though , the only problem i would have is they are concave so no flat mounting point for a flasher , though i guess i could weld up a flat mount on the back of them

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2014

Mel- this is freaking awesome! that scope looks pretty nice. Nice job once again, shooting off the back of a truck and all.

Comment

• mel
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
                    Mel- this is freaking awesome! that scope looks pretty nice. Nice job once again, shooting off the back of a truck and all.
                    ty

i love this scope, though what i have in the scope package (scope, lrf , ir illuminator) could have paid for a very good glass scope that meant for this , this atn is a hunting/night vision scope it was never intended for lr/elr shooting but it works pretty damn good for it , i just dont ever put the wind info in it when im shooting rather figure out windage on my own besides i find the wind varies across the field and using the wind settings in the scope hasnt had good results. i should really put some flags up across the range , im a lil upset they replaced the old moa reticle with the mildot that i cant use at theese ranges since its ffp and it only works upto a certain range with this caliber, but aparently they are adding the old reticle back as well

Comment

• mel
                      Chieftain
                      • Nov 2019

when i get to work in 45 mins or so ill upload the second video , i really need faster internet at home lol ive got 2mb down and .5 up here at home and 50/50 at work lol

later this afternoon i may have my chance at 1 mile or i may just take my creedmoor out and start back at 1.5 miles
                      Last edited by mel; 04-11-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2014

on the rifle I was using the other day at 1300, I have a vortex viper PST gen 2. I had it at max magnification (25x) and with the mirage, I couldn't see my hits. I'd back off a bit & it would get a bit more clear, but I still couldn't definitely tell where my impacts were.
                        And I was like "nightforce here we come" haha. But I don't get too many opportunities to shoot that far. Crops will be gong in soon at my buddies places. but in the mean time, I am just loving your vids! Thanks for posting!

Comment

• mel
                          Chieftain
                          • Nov 2019

on the rifle I was using the other day at 1300, I have a vortex viper PST gen 2. I had it at max magnification (25x) and with the mirage, I couldn't see my hits. I'd back off a bit & it would get a bit more clear, but I still couldn't definitely tell where my impacts were.
                          And I was like "nightforce here we come" haha. But I don't get too many opportunities to shoot that far. Crops will be gong in soon at my buddies places. but in the mean time, I am just loving your vids! Thanks for posting!
                          same we will be planting our corn in may so once that starts growing ill only have 450y 1000y and 2500y locations to shoot from might possibly have a 3400ish yard location as well have to see when the corn gets tall

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2014

right. corn gets to 10'0'' tall here by end of summer. 2500 yards- sweet! and 3400 yards, yessir, that would be fun! I did figure one thing out. I used some "soft" steel plate (about 1/8'') and the white spray paint I used for a background did not chip off as it would with hardened steel.
                            other thing was my buddy wrapped up the seatbelt plate hangar straps to keep the plate out of the dirt, so plate was not free swinging. I will switch to caribeener clips now. I made an A frame type deal out of rebar so it's light & portable. They don't want anything left in the field.
                            Looking forward to your next adventure.

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

right. corn gets to 10'0'' tall here by end of summer. 2500 yards- sweet! and 3400 yards, yessir, that would be fun! I did figure one thing out. I used some "soft" steel plate (about 1/8'') and the white spray paint I used for a background did not chip off as it would with hardened steel.
                              other thing was my buddy wrapped up the seatbelt plate hangar straps to keep the plate out of the dirt, so plate was not free swinging. I will switch to caribeener clips now. I made an A frame type deal out of rebar so it's light & portable. They don't want anything left in the field.
                              Looking forward to your next adventure.
                              old worn out dirtbike chain makes an excellent hanger i use a single piece on my round gong it allows it to move very freely , i can also tell were i hit on the plate by if it twists left or right that way

i did plug the hole in the center of the gong

Comment

Working...
                              X