Clear All
  • Allen Roberts
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2019

Lapping for accuracy

• FRB6.5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

If you are shooting 1 MOA and don't have gross windage or elevation corrections you likely don't need to lap. Bedding/shimming may help depending on your current fit.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Lapping is for a square bolt lock up.

Bedding is for group size.

Comment

• Allen Roberts
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2019

I believe you A5B. Just tell the other 40 percent of shooters say bolt barrel marriages improve accuracy and 85 percent of the shooters out there say lapping the upper improves accuracy or better groups if we are talking about the same reason.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Allen Roberts View Post
          I believe you A5B. Just tell the other 40 percent of shooters say bolt barrel marriages improve accuracy and 85 percent of the shooters out there say lapping the upper improves accuracy or better groups if we are talking about the same reason.
          I'm not really worried about the other's. My testing is enough to proof to me that lapping is for a square bolt lock up and bolt life and bedding if for accuracy.

I think most people who say that lapping the reciver made the gun shot better, had some other issue and didn't know it and fixed it without knowing it and then turn around and account it to lapping the reciver.

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
            I'm not really worried about the other's. My testing is enough to proof to me that lapping is for a square bolt lock up and bolt life and bedding if for accuracy.

I think most people who say that lapping the reciver made the gun shot better, had some other issue and didn't know it and fixed it without knowing it and then turn around and account it to lapping the reciver.
            That's what I think.
            4x P100

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I can see the benefit of lapping, or squaring the receiver to the barrel. If the barrel is pointing in a different direction to the scope then the size of the group [precision] will not be affected but the ability to predict and drive this group around the target [accuracy] will be. This is more noticeable the further the target is from the shooter.

I understand bedding to be an attempt to fix a sloppy fit between barrel and receiver by introducing more rigidity. Presumably, more rigidity will influence precision and in theory this makes sense. Whether bedding actually does improve precision in an AR is not universally agreed. In a bolt gun it is.

One is guaranteed to improve the guns performance while the other probably does, especially if the interface is sloppy. Or, you can get a tight fit to start with. I have tried gluing and it did not improve group sizes. Others however have found that it helps and swear by it.
              Last edited by Klem; 05-03-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Allen Roberts
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2019

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Allen,

Breaking-in a barrel is another contentious topic. I used to religiously spend an afternoon breaking in new barrels with shooting and cleaning, shooting and cleaning - I don't anymore. If there was any benefit to it I never saw it.

Top tier barrels like Krieger and Lilja come ready to shoot. The first few rounds fill the micro pores with copper which I deliberately don't remove. It has been years since I used copper cleaners like Sweets and Bore Tek. I noticed when you strip the bore of everything the next time you shoot is spent fouling and settling the barrel back into where the MPI was before you cleaned it. Now, I often just put the gun straight back in the safe with a length of anti-corrosion cord down the bore, no cleaning the bore. I still clean the carbon out with Butch's every now and then when the groups seem to be opening up but that's about it. The action gets cleaned every time, just not the barrel.

Comment

• Allen Roberts
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2019

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Allen,

For years I was institutionalized with the military dogma of having to clean every time a firearm is used and even when not used but idle for a long time. There's a good reason for doing this but it is still dogma, and a lot of the time, unecessary. As an individual however you do what's best for you. I started reading about guys not cleaning and also spoke with a gunsmith who said that cleaning is in the best interests of barrel makers - they wear out quicker (although I don't place much credibility on that if you are using soft brass brushes on steel). I also saw a barrel that had been cleaned so much with one side being biased by the way the guy pushed the rod through that it wrecked it.

If you are comfortable you have corrosion in check while the gun is in storage then why not give it a go. Keep a tally of group sizes and MPI and see the difference between cleaning and not cleaning between a shooting session. If nothing has changed the next time you pull it out then let it go another session, and so in until you see a change, or can't stand it anymore.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                        Allen,

Breaking-in a barrel is another contentious topic. I used to religiously spend an afternoon breaking in new barrels with shooting and cleaning, shooting and cleaning - I don't anymore. If there was any benefit to it I never saw it.

Top tier barrels like Krieger and Lilja come ready to shoot. The first few rounds fill the micro pores with copper which I deliberately don't remove. It has been years since I used copper cleaners like Sweets and Bore Tek. I noticed when you strip the bore of everything the next time you shoot is spent fouling and settling the barrel back into where the MPI was before you cleaned it. Now, I often just put the gun straight back in the safe with a length of anti-corrosion cord down the bore, no cleaning the bore. I still clean the carbon out with Butch's every now and then when the groups seem to be opening up but that's about it. The action gets cleaned every time, just not the barrel.
                        Klem I'm glad you posted this.

This has been my experience as well, and at times I wonder if the old conventional wisdom on such was still quite so relevant today. Today's modern machining, metallurgy, powder technology, and jacket technology; I'm just not experiencing much benefit to frequent cleaning, and often think it works against me, as it seems like it takes a few rounds (or strings even), to settle back down.
                        Last edited by lazyengineer; 05-04-2020, 06:01 AM.
                        4x P100

Comment

• FRB6.5
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2018

@Klem link to the anti-corrosion cord material you use? Not heard of this and sounds super interesting.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
                            @Klem link to the anti-corrosion cord material you use? Not heard of this and sounds super interesting.
                            Zerust Tube and Barrel Strips are rust prevention tube strips that are perfect for protecting gun and rifle barrels, or stored metal pipes from corrosion.

I'm paranoid I am going to forget it's there one day so I tie a big knot in the end - it sticks out like a chamber flag.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2018

Thanks Klem! I've used their bags but had no idea this even existed.

Comment

Working...
                              X