• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allen Roberts
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2019

Low/High Power Shooting

It seems my consistent groups at 100 yds. only happens using 3-4 power. My friend is an excellent shot at 9x. Is it just me? We need some chatter, this site is going dormant. The new midget format is painful.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

new midget format?

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

difference in scopes?
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

The higher power the scope< the more you see your movements and can lead to something in archery referred to as target panic. Simple explanation is the shooter becomes "afraid" they will miss which leads to an actual miss. I have seen archers quit shooting because of it.

As shooters we are usually the weakest link to shooting in the shooting system of Shooter, rifle, ammo and sights. If we become afraid to screwing up from something we will.

Some days we shoot better than others and that is just the way it is, but we are the ones in control of our actions. Fatigue, caffeine, over anxious,rushing, not following our routine.... can lead to inconsistency and consistency is key to better groups.
          If the gun and ammo are good shooting for others or us on a given day or change in one thing like scope power as in the OP case there is something in us that kicks off target panic.

Some it helps to go back the basics of our routine, if something does not feel right back off and start over, calm yourself and go through your normal process for taking an accurate shot, be that rifle archery, golf.... Watch golf sometimes you will see pros back off a shot then go through their routine again before hitting the ball. They have learned if something does not feel right the shot will not be right. You ingrain that ability to recognize it through practice and practicing with purpose of concentration on the shot and all that leads up to it and the follow through after the shot.

Or just keep shooting on lower power as long as it is working for you. Try to relax with your shooting, I do not always hight exactly where I want but I can tell you where the "miss" is when I do.

Comment

• Sinclair
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Magnification is not your friend. As the posters above have already stated, consistency is everything. There are military riflemen that can shoot better scores with iron sights than the typical lay person can with a riflescope. Relax and focus on the fundamentals! I went with a fixed power scope because deciding on what power to use on a variable was too distracting, and besides I usually ended up somewhere mid range around 10x anyway. Do not beat up on yourself, what is one man's junk is another's man's treasure. Forget that your friend is doing, find what works for YOU, then practice, practice, practice until you can feel by the check weld if the shot is going to be a hit or a miss. I have an acquaintance that doesn't shoot groups any more. He only shoots one shot at a time. He may shoot that one shot 50 or a hundred times in a day, but each one is the only one he is concerned about as he is shooting it and he is very good. Think of it this way, that is not a paper target out there it is a fat doe and your family is starving. Whether your family eats or goes hungry depends on you getting everything right the first time.
            "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
            Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Allen Roberts
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2019

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

You might try some dry fire practice from your shooting position, basically where the crosshairs are when you break the sear is where your bullet will go (perhaps not exactly but very close) Saves ammo allowing you to get trigger time and control without recoil keeping you from seeing where the crosshairs were at the time of the shot

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

• Sinclair
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Mirage is why I choose a straight 10x scope. Out on the desert we could not go above 20x on our spotting scopes. Magnification is not your friend. I understand that sometimes it is great to be able to crank the scope up 24x, but I have never found not being able to as a disadvantage. If I cannot see it at 10x, then I might just be a little too far to make a clean kill. Just my experiences with scopes and shooting rifles.
                    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                    X