Starting over from the scratch. Suggestions for a new 6.5 Upper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gos
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Starting over from the scratch. Suggestions for a new 6.5 Upper?

After 4 years and dozens of possible loading combinations, I've decided to start all over and get a new upper going on my AR15. I still like the ballistics of the 6.5 Grendel, so I'd like to get another upper but not the brand I just sold.

So,
    Who's making respected tight grouping uppers these days that you can recommend; not from a "guy who knows a guy who read a story on line" but from your own hands on the range experience?
    If it ain't sub MOA, it does not have a place in my gun safe. I've been there and done that. My only exception is for the 450 BM since it's a under 100 yard gun for brush and blacktail deer.

I want my next 6.5 to be a tack driver, not "improved cylinder".

Your suggestions please.
    Gos
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Start with the best barrel you can afford from Mark at PF and build from there, 18 or 20" rifle length gas and adjustable gas block. Then a LeRue 2stage trigger with a target butt stock with a Vortex scope. Start with factory Match loads and establish your base line accuracy then go to reloading to dial in best load for your rifle. Yes, delivery will be longer and when the barrel arrives it will get you to where you want to be real soon.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Gos View Post
      After 4 years and dozens of possible loading combinations, I've decided to start all over and get a new upper going on my AR15. I still like the ballistics of the 6.5 Grendel, so I'd like to get another upper but not the brand I just sold.

So,
      Who's making respected tight grouping uppers these days that you can recommend; not from a "guy who knows a guy who read a story on line" but from your own hands on the range experience?
      If it ain't sub MOA, it does not have a place in my gun safe. I've been there and done that. My only exception is for the 450 BM since it's a under 100 yard gun for brush and blacktail deer.

I want my next 6.5 to be a tack driver, not "improved cylinder".

Your suggestions please.
      Gos
      First we need to know what kind of barrel did you just sell?

That way we can give suggestions for a better barrel.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

call mark at pf
        he can do a barrel or a complete upper
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Gos
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2017

I get that the AR Series can be a finicky piece to work with. I'll put the amount of AR's I've carried in the field or on patrol around a dozen since the late 70's. With bolt guns I know how to lap in lugs, true up bolt faces, quality triggers / mounts and Leupold Glass. I admit to lacking a good understanding of what items to address in order to squeeze out the best accuracy in AR platforms, so I resort to buying accuracy more than creating accuracy out of an off the rack gun. I then work up my loads off my own bench. You suggested some reading. Do you have a title for accurizing ARs?

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Click, order, be patient, be happy.

Be patient. It will be worth the wait. I have two of marks uppers. One with Lilja and the other Bartlien. Both are great shooters but I would give the edge to Bartlien.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Gos
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Wafavre2 View Post
                Start with the best barrel you can afford from Mark at PF and build from there, 18 or 20" rifle length gas and adjustable gas block. Then a LeRue 2stage trigger with a target butt stock with a Vortex scope. Start with factory Match loads and establish your base line accuracy then go to reloading to dial in best load for your rifle. Yes, delivery will be longer and when the barrel arrives it will get you to where you want to be real soon.
                I already have an excellent lower with trigger and better glass than the Vortex, hence a new upper. I use two different scopes to proof out my loads depending on what I'm shooting, either a 3-18 Mark 6 or an older Leupold gold ring 24x fixed. I've yet to look through a Vortex that can keep up with either of these and I did not support Communist China with my purchases.

Thanks all for the upper / barrel selection suggestions. A few overtime checks (keep on protesting, it pays us well) and I'll be placing an order.

Stay Healthy. Stay Safe.
                Gos

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

• Gos
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2017

Not quite, and naughty you for saying so.
                    Glass is made in Asia, as in Japan, not china, with the rest of the parts being made in either USA or USA friendly countries.
                    If that ever changes, then I'll look elsewhere. Until then, I'll not support communist china who's government is bent on destroying the economy of our country.
                    I'm in contact with Leupold several times a year just to chase down some of the counterfeit crap that comes out of china.
                    Add to that their life time warranty and they are still good to go in my book, and agency.

PS. The link below is a good little write up a Leupold Facility tour. Very interesting reading.
                    Last edited by Gos; 07-20-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• burnsy13
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

Vortex is definitely also not completely made in China. Their lower-cost (quality) optics source mostly from China, but get into the PST lines and up and you're seeing Phillipines and Japan as source countries, not China.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

i have a PF 24" Lilja Grendel that shoots 1/2 MOA with handloads, if I do my part with a SWFA 3x-15 and Geissele trigger on it. For the price of the PF upper I have a Savage 110 factory chassis in 6.5 Creedmoor with a cheap Vortex DB Tactical 6X-24 that will shoot one hole groups with handloads consistently.

The Savage is clunky crude and has a railroad track barrel, but punches above its weight in accuracy relative to price. The PF is great functioning and accurate as an AR can be as would be expected.

Comment

Working...
                        X