X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinclair
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Growler, it is my understanding that increased night vision is a side affect of color blindness. I have no documentation in front of me, but at sometime over the years I was told that. Tell your son to endeavor to persevere. Sometimes God gives us gifts that to other are called handicaps. The ability to see objects by other means than color would be a real boon in sporting clays.
    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Been meaning to reply. Sinclair, your right about the easiest solution. Now if it only work with my fading hearing, where the easiest solution is "could you repeat that". Seems to annoy some people.

Growler, if you have any deficiency, your son didn't get it from you. It's a recessive trait on the X chromosome and your son got your Y. It follows the same pattern as male pattern baldness - if ones maternal grandfather has it, there's a 50% chance you get it. If you follow the genetics where X = normal vision and x = color deficiency:

Grandpa is xY and hence color deficient.
      He has a daughter so she gets his x. She's either Xx (normal because X is dominant) or xx (which is rare).
      Assuming she is Xx, her son has a 50% chance of getting either. It's a boy because he gets dad's Y, so it's 50/50 if he'll be XY or xY

When it was figured out with me when I was 14, my mother said "that explains a lot of things about my father!"
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Growler
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Eureka! I remembered reading along the way somewhere that amber glasses can be good for color deficient people because they filter blue light, thereby increasing the amounts of the other spectrums perceived. I was in Sportsman's Warehouse doing my weekly supply check last weekend when I spotted amber colored Radians shooting glasses on the rack. Fifteen bucks, what the heck, let's give them a try. Got home, put them on and the world turns amber/yellow. Well I doubted that would work and tossed them into my shooting pack. Went to the 100 yard steel range Friday to do a little positional work on the natural/weathered steel colored plates. Put on my clear glasses and then saw the amber glasses and decided to try them. The cloudless day with a deep blue sky turned into a bright world of yellow. I turned down range and WTF? The "natural" steel plates are actually painted red! I guess we'll see how they work next weekend. Maybe those targets that everyone says are purple but look almost exactly like the blue ones really are purple.

But the real moral of the story is: Not only is the grass greener in my world, the sky is bluer!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• harley66
            Unwashed
            • May 2022

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
            No experience with color corrective lenses but do have poor vision. What I've taken to doing is using Marine binoculars with a built in compass. I'll note the heading on my stage card along with a "descriptive" arrow as to what direction it is from the firing point and the previous target; long arrow, short, up, down, angle etc.

I had gone so far as to build a scope mounted digital tilt compensated compass but found under match pressure the arrows on my card worked faster. I can look at 2 things at once, bouncing between 3 was a bit much.
            these particular models regarding astronomical use. I see it's not really desired in the bird community because it lacks a short focus. They are more suited to be marine binoculars. I know there's no such thing as autofocus binoculars as some vendors claim them to be, and the truth is your eye is the "autofocus" mechanism behind it

Comment

Working...
            X