Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

Orlando

I am headed for Shades of Green on Disney the end of April for a reunion of my unit and was wondering if any of you Florida guys were aware of any really good gun shows or shoots going on down there around that time.

Thanks!
  • leopard6.5

vanguard138: What are the dates you will be here?

If you go to: http://www.gunshows-usa.com/florida_gun_shows.htm it usually lists most of the Florida shows.

The biggest shows that I have been to in Florida are in Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is much on the schedule right now for that time.
    Maybe it will change as we get closer to your dates.

Keep in mind, and this is my impressions, the shows here may not be to the level you are used to in your area.
    I've been to shows in Ind., Ohio and Michigan and the difference to me between here and there was a general level of quality.
    The best shows I've been to were in the Cleveland area of Ohio. They were big and besides the usual lower quality knockoffs of products, I could usually find someone who was selling more of the quality parts that I was looking for.
    To me, here there seems to be a lot of the lower quality knockoffs and very little of the top quality stuff( Larue, Spikes Tactical, Nightforce, Magpul, etc.).
    Of course, if you find that one item you're looking for, it doesn't really matter what else is there.
    I just found Grendel ammo for the first time at a show here a month ago so hopefully things are changing.

Have a great trip and let us know if you need any other info.

Lee

Comment

• vanguard138

Tanks leopard6.5,

I have some history in Fl. The reunion is the 27-28 of April. I may be in Fl the weekend b4 and after since I have family in Olando and North Palm and want to make sure no one has dumped trash on my property near Keaton Beach. I am always secure leaving my property up here since my neighbor is such a good watch dog and shot, lol.

Comment

• leopard6.5

Good morning vanguard138: As you can see on gunshows-usa.com, there are shows the weekend of May 5-6 in Fort Lauderdale and Melbourne.

The Fort Lauderdale show will definitely be bigger than the Melbourne show although the Melbourne show isn't too bad for a relatively small show.
        The Melbourne show is the one that's the closest for me so I get to it on a pretty regular basis.
        The Fort Lauderdale show is put on by Suncoast Gun Shows and these are the shows that the vendor that is selling Hornady Grendel ammo( $20.00 per box) goes to.

Fort Lauderdale is farther away than Melbourne from Orlando.
        Fort Lauderdale is approx. 2 hours away while Melbourne is approx. 45 min.- 1 hour away depending on which side of Orlando you're on.

If you decide to go to either of these, or any other in the area, and you need help with directions or anything, just let me know.

Good luck.

Lee

Comment

There are a few matches around Orlando in the time frame of interest to you. Here is the Florida Sport Shooting Association (the state NRA association) calendar of events. By the way, I'm the president of the FSSA.
          Bob

Comment

• vanguard138

Thanks.
            I will most likely be in Nrth Palm, so Ft. Auderdale is fairly close. I worked at the Miami, West Palm, and Norh Florida/SouthGeorgia VA Medical Centers. Been around theState in te 20 plus years I livd down there:-)

Going to a shoot would be fun too.

Comment

• vanguard138

I have too much fun reloading to buy ammo:-)

Comment

someof the smaller shows in florida are total crap and a waste of the admission money. I wouldn't bother with the melbourne show....been there a couple of times and I don't think I'll go back. Palm beach is a big show...big venue!

I tend to find alot of spikes tactical stuff at the florida gun shows...might be because they are from Apopka, FL.

For the most part, the prices at the guns shows are much higher than internet pricing. THe best thing for the gun show is to get to touch and feel new product.....and then buy it elsewhere.

Comment

• leopard6.5

Thanks QuadCam: I forgot to mention the pricing in particular. I have noticed the same thing here that you did.

Take for instance a PMAG 30 round magazine that you can buy for approx. $15.00 at a lot of places on the internet, at the gunshows I've seen them marked at anywhere from $20.00- $30.00.

Most people I know go to a gun show thinking they will get a better price because the vendors don't have the overhead of an actual building.
                  Here in Florida that doesn't seem to be the case.

Lee

Comment

It's pretty much that way everywhere. However occasionally you run across a really good deal. I found a thousand rounds of Lake City M72 Long Range Match for $.25 per round. Things like reloading presses and such can be had sometimes for good prices too.
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X