• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tortoise1956
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2020

Better than I deserve...

Took my Howa 1500 heavy barrel project rifle to the range today for an accuracy check.

Howa 6.5 Grendel.jpg

The rifle has an Athlon Argos 6-24x FFP scope for eyes, and is sitting in a Boyd's varmint thumbhole stock. I've also replaced the OEM trigger guard with the Jefferson aluminum model. (BTW, the new trigger guard not only allowed me to torque the action screws to the recommended value of 50 in/lbs, it also tightened up the release so that the mag will no longer fall out if you touch the release. I also noticed that all of the 20 rounds I shot fed correctly, which is a welcome change from having to push up on the mag to allow the bolt to grab the next round.

I shot against my buddy in our weekly breakfast challenge. We each shoot 5 rounds at 200 yards and the high score gets a free breakfast. I had my Grendel, he brought his trusty CZ 527 chambered in .223 - the same one he's used to whup my ass more than once. But not this time!

Out of 5 rounds, 3 were in the x-ring, 1 was a ten, and I threw one out into the nine-ring that blew my 4-shot 0.614 MOA group up to 1.194 MOA. Still a good group for me, and I was very happy. A free breakfast sure helps to keep things sunny!

Howa_5_shot_Group_09_18_2020 Calculated1.jpg

Next will be to install the 1.0 lb trigger spring kit I ordered from Gunbloke in Australia, once it arrives...
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by tortoise1956 View Post
    Took my Howa 1500 heavy barrel project rifle to the range today for an accuracy check.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16770[/ATTACH]

The rifle has an Athlon Argos 6-24x FFP scope for eyes, and is sitting in a Boyd's varmint thumbhole stock. I've also replaced the OEM trigger guard with the Jefferson aluminum model. (BTW, the new trigger guard not only allowed me to torque the action screws to the recommended value of 50 in/lbs, it also tightened up the release so that the mag will no longer fall out if you touch the release. I also noticed that all of the 20 rounds I shot fed correctly, which is a welcome change from having to push up on the mag to allow the bolt to grab the next round.

I shot against my buddy in our weekly breakfast challenge. We each shoot 5 rounds at 200 yards and the high score gets a free breakfast. I had my Grendel, he brought his trusty CZ 527 chambered in .223 - the same one he's used to whup my ass more than once. But not this time!

Out of 5 rounds, 3 were in the x-ring, 1 was a ten, and I threw one out into the nine-ring that blew my 4-shot 0.614 MOA group up to 1.194 MOA. Still a good group for me, and I was very happy. A free breakfast sure helps to keep things sunny!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16771[/ATTACH]

Next will be to install the 1.0 lb trigger spring kit I ordered from Gunbloke in Australia, once it arrives...
    Nice shooting! That is what is known as a Stonehendge. You likely tensed your grip.......
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

Reminds me of a post on the 6ARC forum, competition between a 6.5 grendels and the 6ARC. https://6mmarc.com/showthread.php?ti...pid=797#pid797

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
        Nice shooting! That is what is known as a Stonehendge. You likely tensed your grip.......
        LOL! I was going to mention this. You beat me to the punch!
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• tortoise1956
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2020

Oh, I'm pretty sure there was a whole host of things I was doing wrong. The miracle was doing enough right things to get the 4-round group...but at least I know that the rifle is capable of sub-MOA accuracy as long as I do my part. Next on the list - getting restarted in reloading. I already have dies for my .327, and brass and bullets to reload .32H&R Mag for fun shooting. Once I get those done, I think I'll score some 6.5 Grendel dies and go to town on that as well. Hopefully, some day Clark County will get around to building the 500+ yard range...

Comment

Working...
          X