• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

A Grendel at Thunder Ranch

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
  • mv1arms
    Bloodstained
    • May 2019

That's awesome! I really want to take a course like that once I get more familiar with my scope and reloads. Sounds like you have your systems pretty well sorted out. Were the people running 77gr in the 556 hitting consistently more frequently than people running 55gr?

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mv1arms View Post
      That's awesome! I really want to take a course like that once I get more familiar with my scope and reloads. Sounds like you have your systems pretty well sorted out. Were the people running 77gr in the 556 hitting consistently more frequently than people running 55gr?
      Yes. Johnny, to my left, switched from 62gr green tip on day one to 77gr Sierra's on day two. A definite improvement.
      Paul Peloquin

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
        Yes. Johnny, to my left, switched from 62gr green tip on day one to 77gr Sierra's on day two. A definite improvement.
        bio,

Interesting.

Were those shooting 77gn using M262 factory or were they personal handloads?

Comment

• Oryx
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2021

What was the shooting position(s)? Bench/bags? Prone with sling or Bipod?

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Oryx View Post
            What was the shooting position(s)? Bench/bags? Prone with sling or Bipod?
            It was almost exclusively bipods from the prone. We did one run through the Challenging Terrain positions. They've added a phone booth (a what? ; )) and a truck bed since this video was made. I would have like to have run this a couple more times.

Paul Peloquin

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              bio,

Interesting.

Were those shooting 77gn using M262 factory or were they personal handloads?
              I can only speak to the shooter directly to my left. Those were handloads from another student in class. The increase in hits came mostly at 6 and 7 hundred yards. Thunder Ranch sits at 5400 feet so that helped with the ballistics.

I was surprised anyone would show up to run this class with SS109. My somewhat limited experience with it is it's a 3 moa load.
              Last edited by biodsl; 03-29-2021, 12:48 PM.
              Paul Peloquin

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

Neat post! Thanks for sharing.

I will say, this part right here is key. While I agree with everything you said about the Grendel shining, and I think it's the best-choice round for that application; the big one is you knew your kit. If someone really knew their .223 AR, and were running a 20" BBL with 77's, they'd be hitting that 700 yard target all-day long. But even with that, they wouldn't be hitting it nearly as hard as the Grendel does!

I'm kind of surprised people were showing up with 16" M4's and 55 ball.
                4x P100

Comment

• tashley680
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                  I can only speak to the shooter directly to my left. Those were handloads from another student in class. The increase in hits came mostly at 6 and 7 hundred yards. Thunder Ranch sits at 5400 feet so that helped with the ballistics.

I was surprised anyone would show up to run this class with SS109. My somewhat limited experience with it is it's a 3 moa load.
                  It's my understanding that SS109 is specified at 4 MOA due to steel pin axial alignment within the projectile. I personally would never consider it for an accuracy event.

Comment

• Dirtrider389
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2021

I've been working on learning the long range game for about a year with my creedmoor and when I get my load worked up on my grendel I plan on switching to it for some long range shooting since it will be my primary hunting rig. The first time someone get that delay of the rifle going off to the "ding" of the steel they're instantly hooked on getting farther and farther. Maybe I can justify a coarse soon

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Attached Files
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I agree...Spending $1K on a course with average ammo seems strange. But it might be that the person doesn't know or have reloading skills/equipment. You'd have to be a committed prepper to spend that much money to see how bulk available ammo shoots.

Watching that video you can tell he has said "Finger straight - Safety on" a thousand times LOL.

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

I would buy those all day long.
                          Paul Peloquin

Comment

• Dirtrider389
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2021

Hahaha it's hard enough to get hands on a .264 bullet 140 grains and under right now... but completely agree there's no reason we shouldn't be able to get a g1 bc within .020 of a .243 by tweaking core position and jacket thickness and shape

Comment

• PVBoom
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

How much ammo did you bring, how much did you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X