Hey guys, I have a question, about scopes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark611
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Hey guys, I have a question, about scopes!

I'm looking to set up an 18'' barreled rifle with a tactical optic, I'm a big fan of the Leartherwood 1x4CMR4 type scopes for a small optic due to my eye sight over a red dot which I do not care for! I'm looking for a tactical optic for my new 18'' barrel AR set up, 1 I can use out to 800m or so, also 1 that once its zeroed I can use the hold overs without doping the scope, on the fly shooting, so to speak, is their an optic out there that will work with what I'm wanting to do? I already have a 24'' AR 6.5Grr That I'm running a 20x SWFA optic on and I like it! What say you!!!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

DetailsAfter rigorous field testing, this optic has been given a Silver-tier rating by the National Tactical Officers Association.This rifle scope is part of the mid-tier optics line called GLx. GLx brings premium technology and materials into an approachable price range.The GLx 2.5-10x24 has a large magnification range, offering a great close range field of view with improved medium-to-long range precision as well. For hunting, competition, or even just punching paper at the range, the combination of quality, features, and of course the Advanced Combined Sighting System (ACSS®) reticles is hard to beat.Features:2.5-10x Magnification44mm objective2.7" - 2.8" of eye relief30mm main tubeHigh strength one-piece 6061-T6 aluminum bodyCompact design is 12.5" long and weighs just 22.2 OzPremium grade glassPatented turret mechanismsSteel-on-Steel precision adjustmentsTactile and audible 1/10 MIL click valueLocking turrets protect your zeroIntegrated return-to-zeroAutoLive illuminated reticleElevation Rotation IndicatorsMovable and replaceable magnification ring finFirst Focal Plane ACSS Raptor M2 reticleThis GLx 2.5-10x44 rifle scope features newly designed patented turret mechanisms, offering not just a new look but a host of incredible new features! Each movement of the turret will provide a crisp, audible, and tactile 0.1 MIL click that will never wear out thanks to the tough steel-on-steel construction! Externally, these locking turrets feature a high speed return to zero, ensuring that once your zero is set you won't have to worry about bumps or the environment making unintended changes to your turrets. The return to zero feature allows shooters to rapidly return to their elevation to 'Zero' after dialing out for long-range engagements without having to keep track of the adjustments you made to get out there in the first place. not sure where you left your elevation the last time you were at the range? Not only can you simply return your scope to your set Zero, the elevation turret features elevation rotation indicators to get you back on track at a glance.The GLx is also home to one of a new feature. The smooth magnification ring hosts an innovative swappable adjustment fin. The fin can be easily positioned anywhere around the magnification ring to meet the needs of the shooter. Optional upgrades and alternatives are on the way as well, allowing users to customize their scope to meet their needs.This 2.5-10x44mm GLx scope is equipped with the first focal plane ACSS Raptor M2 reticle. At low magnifications, the large horseshoe draws the eye for incredible engagement speed at close quarters, comparable to a red dot. At 10x, the full features of the ACSS reticle become available, providing automatic ranging and bullet drop compensation to 800 yards, moving target leads, a precise center chevron aim point, and wind holds for both 5 and 10 mph cross winds. In low light, the illumination presents only the most important elements for rapid engagement.See More
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-31-2021, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I got lost a little in this post. What magnification range are you wanting?
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-31-2021, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            The trajectory of 168 grain 308/7.62x51 is pretty close to a 120-123 grain 6.5 Grendel
            So close in fact VASCAR, that PA now makes a scope with a .308/Grendel reticle.

DetailsThis Primary Arms rifle scope is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics have built a reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment.The Primary Arms 3-18x50mm first focal plane illuminated rifle scope punches far outside of its weight class. At 3x magnification, fast snap shots at close range are a breeze with the daylight bright illuminated reticle, but the scope easily allows shooters to reach the 1,000 yard line when cranked up to the full 18x available at the top end. To make the best of the reticle at every magnification, it has been etched into the first focal plane. This allows it to be 'true' at every magnification, allowing the ranging, hold overs, and wind holds to be used as long as you can see them.Features:First Focal Plane reticle is true at every magnificationPartially illuminated reticleACSS APOLLO .308/6.5 Grendel Reticle provides ranging, bullet drop, and wind holds out to 1,000 yards in up to 20mph cross windsChevron central aiming point provides infinitely small aiming pointThe replaceable power ring fin can be positioned to user preferenceLocking, Zero resettable turrets30mm main tubeWeight: 25.4 oz. with battery, without lens coversWater proof, fog resistant, shock resistantScope caps includedLifetime warrantyThe 3-18x50mm is equipped with the ACSS APOLLO .308/6.5 Grendel reticle, simply the ultimate option for .308 Winchester or 6.5 Grendel shooters available. Simply sight in at 100 yards and you are ready to engage at any range out to 1,000 yards with crosswinds up to 20 mph, all without requiring any math or touching a single turret. Combine the built-in range estimation and hold overs with an infinitely precise chevron tip aiming point and .2 MIL crosshair subtensions, and you have a firing solution at any distance.The 3-18x50mm scope body is our most advanced to date, offering new innovative features, as well as old favorites. A removable and replaceable fin on the power ring allows for rapid adjustment of the magnification range just like a magnification lever, with placement of the fin entirely at the discretion of the operator. The improved turrets have tactile and audible 0.1 MIL click adjustments, as well as offering easy reset once you've got your zero and secure locking to prevent accidental adjustments. The illumination turret offers six settings with an 'OFF' setting between each for fast switching to your preferred setting. A smooth parallax adjustment and fast focus eye piece work together to provide a perfectly crisp image of the target and reticle.Featuring clear glass, forgiving eye relief/exit pupil characteristics, and efficient industrial design, the 3-18x50 FFP Scope with ACSS APOLLO .308/6.5 Grendel reticle is backed up by the Primary Arms Lifetime Warranty.See More
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Comment

• Mark611
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Thank you VASCAR2!!!! you have answered my questions! the Leatherwood 1x4CMR scope is calibrated for the 168gn 308 as well as the 5.56, it has the correct hold overs or as close to what I'm looking for compared to the 168gn 308 That will work with the 120 or 123gn match bullets from the 6.5Grr, The LW CMR4 optic is about the size power wise weight wise and size wise I was looking for for this rifle, I have several of these scope already, so 1 more for this rifle should be just fine! Thank you again! Mark.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

• Mark611
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

Again, Thank you VAS, and biodsl, bio that's an interesting optic, Like Vas has said familiarity with a certain optic, Myself, Me speaking IMO is a plus, I know 4x is not a lot of glass for those ranges out to 800m but the optics, I'm using are rated for use to 800m with the Leartherwood, optic, calibrated for the 308win 168gn bullets out to 800m, the Glass is outstanding! images appear larger IMO at 4x and very clear for this size optic, I'm also looking to keep the weight down, The PA 3x18 looks to be a nice optic, but I'm looking to keep this a small light weight package! I know bigger can be better, if wanted a true long Range set up to 800m I would just use my 15+lb custom built 308win bolt rifle I already have that shoots thumb size nail groups @ 200m, I'm not a big AR guy to begin with, but I do like the 6.5Grr in this plat form, I'm also a LH shooter, so I have to build a lower for LH shooter and I use match grade triggers in all my builds as well and right side side charging upper like an AK set up, That what works for me, so you can get an idea theirs allot of extra money for me to already put together a rifle like this to begin without skimping on anything! Thank you gentle MEN

Comment

• Mark611
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

To give an update after thinking of my 4x choice I looked at some other scope options, I purchased a Hi-LUX Pentalux TAC-VF 4x20x50 30mm FFP, This thing is a monster! in size, it is nice but way to big IMO to mount on this rifle, So I looked at an Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2x12x42mm 30mm FFP, this optic is 11.9'' long and I think it's much better suited for this set up and my intended use, it has a useable reticule for on the fly shooting plus the tree ranges out to 800mm, which is what I was looking for in an optic, I have no experience with Athlon optics any feed back would be appreciated on these optics

Comment

• SCRhino
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2020

Just for something to think about... I have the swfa 3-15 on my rig and was literally shooting it at 825 yesterday! The biggest benefit I can see is you're already familiar with the reticle and there's almost always one for sale on samplelist.com. I've killed 5 deer with it so far from 30-200 yards and like I said steel to 825. It won't break the bank, isn't too heavy and with a 100 yard zero it's only 1.5 mil's to 300

Comment

• PVBoom
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                          So close in fact VASCAR, that PA now makes a scope with a .308/Grendel reticle.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-3-18x...lo-308-reticle
                          Who do they think is holding under that much?

"Damn! Thank God I can hold under since I'm dialed in at 1.5K"!
                          Last edited by PVBoom; 12-28-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• SDW
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

FWIW, I took a chance the other day and pre/back-ordered one of the new Arken EP5 scopes, 5-25x 56mm obj. They tout ED Japanese glass, so I just have to have a look at it, at $550. Supposedly a 2-4 week lead time on them right now. It's a tank! LOL 39 oz. 34mm main tube.

If I like it I'll mount it to the 22" Wilson barreled 6.5G upper I am putting together. Not something I'll be doing too much carrying around with.

Discover the unparalleled clarity and precision of ARKEN OPTICS' EP-5 FFP scope featuring Japanese ED glass for minimized dispersion. Illuminated reticle for enhanced focus, AZS Zero Stop system, and precise adjustability with tactile turrets. Perfect for performance seekers.

Comment

• Dub
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2022

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                              FWIW, I took a chance the other day and pre/back-ordered one of the new Arken EP5 scopes, 5-25x 56mm obj. They tout ED Japanese glass, so I just have to have a look at it, at $550. Supposedly a 2-4 week lead time on them right now. It's a tank! LOL 39 oz. 34mm main tube.

If I like it I'll mount it to the 22" Wilson barreled 6.5G upper I am putting together. Not something I'll be doing too much carrying around with.

https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/onlin...ube-p425932116

Was wondering if your scope came in and how you are liking it.

Ironically, I am waiting on the same scope and will be using the WC 22" SuperSniper barrel.

Waiting on glass and gun right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X