Clear All
  • elitejake80@gmail.com
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2021

600-122yd shooting info

• lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Be aware that is asking a lot of Grendel. At 600 yards, it can dominate. 1000 and beyond is another story. I've done it, but just be aware you will be going transonic past about 900 or so (depending) , and wobbling bullets are not best bullets.

If you are shooting paper, it can cost you scoring rings. If gongs - bring a friend with good glass, because impact starts getting really weak that far out.

Grendel is a good solid round, and it will send a bullet past 1000 yards for sure - but that's the distance Creedmoor is going to start to pay off. JMHO.

For distance, the 123 is a good weight, I wouldn't go lighter that far-out.
    4x P100

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

What he said.

You'll need something with the highest BC around the 123gn mark and push the boundaries of what the bolt will take (carry a spare). Bullets will be subsonic by 1,200 and will be flying like they are drunk. Group sizes will start blowing out 800-900 with that 22" barrel and shot-to-shot will be less predictable. If anyone else has a heavier calibre you will not be competitive, unless they cannot shoot. Grendel is an intermediate calibre and good for what it is - but not long range.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

What Klem says.

Get a 6.5 Creedmoor and find some decent loads with the 140 grain range 6.5 bullets.

Or, run some searches on the Precision Rifle Series shooters and see what they are using for cartridge and loads.

LR-55

Comment

• elitejake80@gmail.com
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2021

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

EJ80:

At those distances you will have to have excellent conditions to hear the bullet hit the steel. Same with seeing splash. Not sure what sort of group you will get with a round that has gone subsonic several hundred yards earlier. I doubt you will hit steel with any sort of predictability unless you are shooting at a really big piece of steel. Say six by six feet. Forgot to add, you will need to find a angled base that allows you to shoot center of mass at 600 and has enough elevation for 1200.

You ought to be worried that the Grendel will perform at 600, let alone 1200. If you have winds, your chances of a hit are reduced dramatically. Face it, you are shooting a cartridge with a MV of around 2550 or 2600 max with a 123 grain bullet. At those distances you need about 2900 fps minimum with that bullet if not closer to 3000 fps and you will still need to be on top of the winds and have a very good optic and rifle.

With steel, the smaller the bullet the less chance you have in reading trace well, hearing or seeing steel get hit. 6mm's may be ideal ballistically but even the best spotters will have problems seeing trace or picking up splash with them. So, guys go to the various 6.5's and .30 cals. If you go to a PRS or a real F Class match where guys are serious about results, you won't see a gas gun and won't see a cartridge that won't give them around 2900 if not or more.

I am not sure what the current rage is in PRS but last I looked it was 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRS. Recoil means something to them but if it doesn't mean anything to you, a 6.5/284 ought to be pretty good at 1200. 30/338 too.

LR55

Comment

• SDW
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

I don't understand the "600-122yd" nomenclature, but anyway. Extrapolating from the data produced by my ballistic calculator (for my 20" rifle and load), a 123 gr ELD bullet strikes a 1000yd target with about the force of a 9mm Parabellum as it leaves the muzzle of a typical handgun. So as LR1955 says, conditions will need to be ideal, and spotter must have a keen eye have good glass, to see the splash.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                I don't understand the "600-122yd" nomenclature, but anyway. Extrapolating from the data produced by my ballistic calculator (for my 20" rifle and load), a 123 gr ELD bullet strikes a 1000yd target with about the force of a 9mm Parabellum as it leaves the muzzle of a typical handgun. So as LR1955 says, conditions will need to be ideal, and spotter must have a keen eye have good glass, to see the splash.
                SDW:

He means 600 - 1220 yards.

LR-55

Comment

Working...
                X