Stupid question. What is "soft setting" a target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Sounds fun let us know how you do!

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Terrible. Expecting a last or second to last place. Left match early before completing all 4 stages.

Had to abandon turkeys because I have on call shift and got a ring. Didn't even get a chance at the smaller bonus targets on the stage which is really all i want to shoot at.

1/2 bonus at 500m, the rest is just the normal stuff. Bang, clang, fall. The mini pig hit at and squirrel miss at 500m are recorded and uploading now. Heavy mirage, wind, and heat today.

Edit uploaded, hd and 4k still processing. Just a short 3 min clip

Last edited by Zeneffect; 08-27-2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Will be prepping for this one, though considering 6mm arc. Since energy requirements aren't nearly as high, ill probably use some 123s and see if I can push them past 2800fps if i stick with grendel. Should make for an interesting round

Last edited by Zeneffect; 08-27-2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

That squirrel and pig are really small but you sure smacked the pig! Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

Well it's been a while, next weekend grendel is up to bat.

I would normally shoot .223 for this weekend's match, but I want to verify my 120gr smk / xbr load is good to go so running that for fun and no points.

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

man do i love me some 120gr smk and xbr. spotter forgot to record the pigs and ram stages, but it doesnt matter... i basically have to try to miss. uploading shortly.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                man do i love me some 120gr smk and xbr. spotter forgot to record the pigs and ram stages, but it doesnt matter... i basically have to try to miss. uploading shortly.
                Yo, ZE:

OK -- I give up. How can a Spotter forget to record hits or misses?

LR55

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

Record as in record video. Didn't hit the red button. Actually recording the hits/points was easy, I hit everything with relative ease. I'm ready for next week's match where I'm just going to run the exact same everything.

As a spotter, you are watching a 4k 60fps hdr screen that is being fed image from the spotting scope. It's a touch screen, dude didn't hit the red record button to capture the stages.

Fwiw 385m turkeys 200m chickens. End of the chicken video it goes back to the sighter. I switched to .223 and was shooting with irons. You have seen the rifle.
                  Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-22-2023, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

So almost 2 years later...

Shooting the silhouette match with a grendel got boring. Point and shoot, it's hard to miss lately.

I've downgraded myself to a 24" .223 wylde, then a 20".223 wylde... and now I'm going to run a 16" with a 1-8 lpvo as it's the most I can handicap myself before going to irons and competing against the guys with optics.

Btw I dont think a lpvo is well suited... the little targets will have high miss probability due to parallax error with 100 yard fixed that most lpvo have. Considering options.... I'll probably use a piece of tape to cheat the cheek weld repeatability. Also seeing the impact marks on steel at 300+ yards is a challenge. The lack of instant feedback is off-putting. Iron sight guys I swear shoot on hopes and dreams.

I wouldn't mind a light weight 2-12 or something similar if anyone has a recommendation for good glass at a reasonable price.
                    Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-03-2024, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• tdbru
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2019

Zeneffect,

is this something that might interest you?

-tdbru

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

There is no side parallax. I got a scope on loan coming in from a friend. Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x44, will see if it's worth buying as a used scope.

I'm trying to make the rifle setup accessible to anyone and demonstrate that yes, you can top 5 easily with that carbine you have in the closet and think isn't enough gun to play the game.

I think what puts people off is seeing $3000 scopes on top of custom built ARs made for this 1 match. I fell victim to building one to compete and in retrospect... I think I can get the job done with my trusty criterion 16" .223 wylde carbine + a cheap but decent enough scope. I don't need a whole lot of magnification... I've shot the course with irons successfully to include the "small" targets.

wondering if I should even bother with a bipod or just run a bag.

No name key-mod 15" handguard with utg plastic grip inserts
                        Criterion hybrid chrome lined barrel
                        I dont even know who made the upper receiver... somebody.
                        Magpul moe carbine stock that I fixed the slop in with gaffers tape, then got it stuck because fit was a hair too tight so whoops.
                        Larue mbt2s trigger, psa bgc. Nothing fancy, super cheap crap build intentionally super cheap.

Shoots good, that's all that matters and that's the point I want to drive home to hopefully bring more people out to play.
                        Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-14-2024, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2014

There should be an accepted momentum for reliable knockdown. Yes M O M E N T U M -- not energy.

Momentum is nothing more than bullet mass times its impact velocity. The confusing part comes in when we introduce units or try to get too cute with calculating the momentum needed ourselves based on the target characteristics -- too many variables to handle when there's a ton of experience on what works and what does not work.

Bottom Line -- The best way to improve chances of knockdown given a hit is to go through the list of bullets you can use and using appropriate loads, calculate mass X velocity at the target and grab the one with mostest.

Units won't matter as long as you use the same all the way through. (BTW the easiest to understand will be bullet mass in kg and impact in meters per second, but fps times grains will work too)
                          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

So using grains + fps like civilized people I'm looking at a value of 128128

If I look at what is known to be successful for that range and targets then recalculate I'm right in the ballpark (a little over/better than) if I use the 77gr rdf at mag length, or 75gr eldm + single feed.. and it only matters for the 500m line. The other 3 stages don't typically ring with centerfire cartridges due to distance and target weight, shape, and size.

The main part is the game of how sketchy can I set up the rams and not have the wind blow them over. From there different physics with gravity assisted knock down are in play.

Based on that math, the heaviest, sleekest, fastest bullet wins and it will correlate with kinetic energy at target. That's going to be the 75gr eldm and 77gr rdf if I'm shooting a 16" barrel
                            Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-14-2024, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X