Is it really easier to find accurate loads for thicker barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fess
    Warrior
    • Jun 2019

Is it really easier to find accurate loads for thicker barrels?

I have always thought that thicker barrels are stiffer and the amplitudes of the various vibration modes would be less than for thin barrels. It would make sense, then that thick barrels would be less sensitive to load variations and tend to shoot more loads accurately.
    I have never had the opportunity to test this hypothesis out. What is the real-life experiences of people on this forum?
    Thanks.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

There is some truth to that hypothesis IMO but individual rifle barrels can always be subjects to themselves but generally speaking yes. One other thing that makes load development go easier is larger diameter barrels heat slower so more shots can be made with them than the thin barrels that heat up a lot faster. Also as barrels get longer they are less stiff no matter what the diameter is. I find short heavy barrels will at least have wider accuracy nodes than a longer barrel of the same diameter.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Fess,

I am aware that for short ranges bench rest shooters prefer thick shorter barrel lengths. A longer barrel will impart a bigger group as it whips around in an ellipse. Plus as kmon says, thicker barrels handle heat better than thin ones. A thick barrel also implies heavy, which helps keep the muzzle down on recoil. How it resonates will be in there as well and I don't doubt your hypothesis but I'm thinking it is only part of it.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

A longer, thicker barrel will also help create better balance for any sort of practical barricade shooting to where the rifle will balance on its position without force and hence, limit transmitted muscle tension. The barrel may not be more accurate, but the shooter will be in those applications.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
        X