Is it worth it trying 6.5 Grendel in a custom short range BR rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cceckhoff58
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2021

Is it worth it trying 6.5 Grendel in a custom short range BR rifle?

Short range BR rifles are all 6 PPC, 6 BR, 30 BR. With a tight custom chamber Grendel might fit in well here but I don't want to spend $6k only to find out that I was barking up the wrong tree. Soliciting your knowledge and opinions.
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Don't have knowledge, but I DO have an opinion! Doesn't make sense to me that 6PPC would have any more "magic" than a well-developed 6.5 Grendel or 6mmARC. Somebody set an accuracy record a while ago with a well-developed .30 Grendel wildcat; think he called it the .30 Major.

Humans are, essentially, herd animals, and the BR community is as susceptible to fads as any group of teenagers.

If we were on a different planet and the only cartridge in existence was the 6.5 Grendel, you'd see just as many one-hole groups as we do with 6PPC. Arne Brennan used to tell me that Palmisano thought the 6.5PPC had more potential than the 6mm but there were no good bullets at the time.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cceckhoff58
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2021

Googled it. Found it. Thank you for your mention. Re-inventing the wheel doesn't make sense. OTOH, how much fun is it to have another 30 BR with H4198 and boutique bullets? If you win I guess it is fun. But the joy of target shooting for me is the journey not the destination. Being a bit individualistic and experimenting with the not so obvious. I don't know if that is worth the money for a custom rifle.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Would seem to me that a 6 Arc, with the possibility of high-BC gullets, would be an optimum choice for courses of, say, 300 yd or so.
          Lots of VLd's and other sleek pills.
          I think stonehenge - at least for a while - was shooting a 6 Arc for a 300 yd course - or was it 600? Using a mild load of varget getting some nice scores, even with the temperature changes.
          Not knocking the Grrr but just sayin'.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

6 PPC has a long neck, which provides a consistent neck tension, similar to how .222 Remington does.

There is way more than a caliber of neck engagement with the bullet on 6 PPC.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

This may be of interest, the 6mm Grinch. http://bartsbullets.weebly.com/6mm-grinch.html

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

The Tripple Duce used to be the king, I still love it.

Comment

• vmthtr
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2022

I think the problem would be the match grade custom bullets suited to 1-2-300 yard comp. I shoot HBR which is Hunter BR. You cannot shoot store bought bullets and expect to finish high in standings.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Bullets aside -- and , BTW, the 6.5 family is excellent! --, my view is that the primary reason for minimal exercise of the Grendel in short range competition is that it was designed as a deer-hunting cartridge with potential for military application.

In the earlier days of this forum. about a quarter of the discussions were on military with almost all the rest being excited conversations about how well the cartridge works in the hunting arena.

Hence, our own enthusiasm about things hunting distracted folks from the Grendel's accuracy potential and gave space for dedicated target cartridges hyped as such.

(REferencing BFT's comment, yes, we shooters have more of a herd mentality that we care to accept - - -)_
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                    X