• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

20" Grendel at 500 yard MidRange High Power Match - Jan 2023

Had chance to fire a 500 yard match onto digital targets. Some interesting data, and just FYI for those interested.

Rifle is a build with a 20" Alexander Arms HBAR 1/9 twist and AA flashhider. LaRue MBT2 trigger, and basic CTR stock. Cheap bipod. Fired prone on a tarp on the ground. Weather was cool - around 45 degrees or so. Winds were light to non.

Targets were digital. FWIW, this won the match (it wasn't a big match).

By the way, for what it's worth, Midrange matches are a nice way to stretch the Grendel Legs and see what it can do. Nominally 600 yards, typically. Look around for matches in your area that do Service RIfle High Power and or MidRange. Show up with your Grendel at Match time and 100 rounds, and they'll be happy you came out.

Todays was four 20-round strings of fire, with 2 rounds of sighters for each string.

Note that over a course of 20 rounds fired, wind change is a factor, and will sight adjustments tend to be done as you go.

107SMK (my favorite Grendel bullet for this). Impact velocity at 500 yards is: 1775 */- 8. That's moving along pretty good, with a great SD.

Shoots a clean 200-14x. Very light sight adjustment over this string, ranging from +3.9 to +4.0MIL elevation above my 200 yard zero, and Wind only went from L0.2 to L0.3 MIL. Very light wind with almost no change the string.

123gr SST (my general purpose and hunting load). 1595+-7 FPS impact velocity.

Shoots decent 196-5, which actually disappointed me a bit, in comparison to the 107. I got dogged by the elevation, and if you closely, Sighers S1, S2, and then shot #1, took me a bit to get sighted in. I had to work the elevation a bit more, moving it around from 4.0 to 4.4 MIL on the gun, and windage moved some: from L0.0 to L0.2. Looking at it now, If I ran just 0.1MIL higher for the bulk of the string, it probably could have been a clean - I was impacting mostly below the X.

85gr Sierra Varminter in Fireforming PPU 7.62x39 brass. Yea, for the heck of it, I decided to run a mild fireforming at 500 yards. How did it run? Actually - not bad!
    1259+-/ 15 FPS. That's actually not too bad an SD, as things go. But velocity is definitely on the slow side, wind is more of factor, with this low Ballistic Coefficient bullet, and slow velocity.

197-6x. It actually outshot my 123 SST ammo, even at 500 yards. And yep, it was wind that bleed my points. Conditions over this string of fire caused elevation and windage adjustments to range from 4.4-4.5Mil ele and R0 to R0.2.

Fourth string - I didn't capture the screen, apparently - GAH! I swore I did too. Well, here's the data book.
    (see next post)
    Did good at a 199-8x. Not quite as good as the 107 SMK. The 9 is a corner-shot, with typically indicates user error of some sort. 1619 +/- 7.5 FPS.

Just some general data on how a Grendel runs in competition at 500 yards. It won the match for the day, FWIW - but it was quite lightly attended (Cold and damn day in Texas).
    4x P100
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

4x P100

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Looking at your spotting setup is exactly why I built mine the way I did. I'm able to disaggregate the 15" screen and place it where you would normally spot. As its touch screen, you have full control from shooters position.

"Nice shootin' Tex" I think would be an appropriate phrase here. Congrats on the win, always great to have a grendel on the podium. I hope there were a few arc and valkyrie guys out that learned a lesson or two.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
        "Nice shootin' Tex" I think would be an appropriate phrase here.
        Ditto. Looks like fun.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• 37L1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Good shooting!

What power scope did you run?

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Great read Lazy.

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
              Good shooting!

What power scope did you run?
              I'm a fan of the aprimwry Arms GLx 2.5-10x Griffen reticle. At 2.5x it has the same reticle as the PA 2.5X CQB, which is a very costveffective quality scope with a great reticle design I have standardized on for M4 level builds, and at 10x, it has a nice precision drop tree, as well as very good glass.
              4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

ELander 17's. They work fine for me.
                  Here is the load. It is warm.

4x P100

Comment

• Timitus
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2022

Thank you for sharing this. Great day of shooting there.

Comment

Working...
                    X