• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cal
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2019

Barrel change = 1" group.

Hail to the Hoard,
    It's been a while since I've had any time to visit the forum or post anything, life has been that busy for me.
    When I was posting, I was on a adventure to build a 1 MOA rifle out of my Grr. Then life reaaaly got in the way.

Recently I was given the opportunity to readdress said adventure and I did take steps.

So, while I did change the barrel on my grr, I also added a Ultradyne Apollo S muzzle break. So I'm not sure it was just the barrel change.
    So what did I change? Went from a BCA 20" Heavy Contour to a Faxon 20" Fluted Match. This change alone shaved 2 pounds off the rifle.
    I did use my caliper on the flange for the barrel nut of both barrels. The Faxon barrel is about 0.015" - 0.020" thicker than the BCA.
    I have to say that the muzzle break did help alot. It made the Grr feel like my 5.56.
    Now I'm wondering if the muzzle break would have helped the BCA barrel.

Anyways, as part of the barrel change process I did buy a Upper Receiver mandrel and lapped the upper receiver.
    Fortunately the upper receiver is and was square to the bore, just wound up removing the black oxide coating on the receiver.
    Has anyone else installed a Faxon barrel? The sample I received had a slightly large journal for the gas block. I used some 2000grit wet/dry Emory paper and polished the
    journal just enough to get the gas block on but it was a tight fit. About all I did was take the Nitride coating off and was very careful about running a patch down the barrel to
    grab any dust that may have gone down the gas port.
    I can't say enough good things about Geissele's Reaction Rod, definitely the way to go for barrel change or muzzle device change.

Next was to finally get to the range and zero the scope. First shot was about 6" high and 6" left. Inspection of muzzle break showed no contact with the round.
    Second shot was just under the first shot. All told I used about 6 rounds to get the scope zeroed where I wanted. All rounds used were my reloads

I did get some velocity numbers with the Magneto Speed.

Load data:
    123 SST, 30.2g CFE223, COAL 2.260

First 5 shot group: avg 2471fps, 27SD, 74ES
    Second group: 2475 6 16

After that I was able to shoot the pictured group.

What is interesting, the MV's I recorded from the Faxon are about the same as the BCA + /- about 2fps.
    Will these MV's increase as the barrel wears in?

One question I have, "How do these numbers stack up with the rest of the Hoard"?

Happy Easter all.
    Attached Files
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Well thats a good start. Done any more shooting? Interesting you couldn't get MOA with the BCA barrel. Mine is a M4 contour and it was certainly a MOA shooter with the loads it liked which did not include the SST.

Comment

Working...
    X