X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

.223 AI might be worth a look. That artificial intelligence could make a big difference.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

A .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer could probably get 95 gr SMKs going 3200 with a mild load.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
        Again, total speculation on my part. I'm simply saying that progress rests on the shoulders of those who came before. Perhaps Hornady's inspiration was not the Grendel. Perhaps it was the Winchester Short Magnum series. Probably it was both. The early 2000s brought the "shoulder sharper and blowing it out" of cartridge design to the forefront. I'm simply saying that Hornady's affiliation with AA and their work manufacturing brass (pretty sure the ammo came later) ammo for the Grendel likely influenced Emary and Thielin, the guys who developed the Creedmoor.
        Again though, I thought Ackley was the guy who started the sharper shoulder and blown out brass designs.

What affiliation did Hornady have with AA other than seeing an opportunity to turn a profit because enough Grendel ammo and brass was being sold to make its production economical and profitable?

LR-55

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Far as I'm concerned, whoever was first is mostly academic to me.
          "Who's on first? what's on second? third base - I don't know!"
          Remington made several mis-steps in cartridge-land, the 6.8 spc, 6mm Remington, even the 260 wasn't the optimum it should have been. hornady on the other hand, has been in there trying (and succeeding most times) at new cartridge innovation/production. I'll give them credit for that.

Am I a fan of the big H? not particularly, but I'm a user. Sierra makes darn good bullets but they are sporadic in availability. It's going on 1 1/2-2 yrs since their new 6mm/100 tgk and 90 tgk have been available; and they have introduced a 120 gr "tgk" for grendel, but it's almost too long, and BC less than the eldm/sst... mimics pretty close to the Nosler for BC, so yeah I got some but not holding my breath at this point - unsure whether Sierra will have them available much of the time.

To Hornady's credit they pretty much have stuff, bullets and brass, and factory ammo, available all the time, seems like. Not necessarily top-notch but pretty good overall. And in the consumer world, available trumps "best-ness".
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
            Warrior
            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            Far as I'm concerned, whoever was first is mostly academic to me.
            I agree 100%.

Am I a fan of the big H?
            I am for some things and not for others. As an example, I don't find their brass to be very good. But I do find them to manufacture great bullets. Pretty hard to deny that, IMO. I used to like the ELD-M and ELD-X, but now can't be used for game. Just sold a bunch of lead bullets at 50% off.

Sierra makes darn good bullets but they are sporadic in availability. It's going on 1 1/2-2 yrs since their new 6mm/100 tgk and 90 tgk have been available; and they have introduced a 120 gr "tgk" for grendel, but it's almost too long, and BC less than the eldm/sst...
            During all this time Hornady was doing dopler work on their latest lead free offerings. Although more expensive, I think most of us know that lead is not good for us. Seems that we should be using copper for hunting.

I like Sierra, and have used my fair share of both SMKs and TMKs, and the fact that they're coming out with tipped copper bullets shows us the writing on the wall.

In California it's not even legal to shoot varmints with lead. You can shoot humans with lead, there's no restrictions in that regard, but we're not allowed to even shoot a rat with lead.

KW
            From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

not rats???
              Do the "Idaho-wolf" thing to 'em -- s, s, f.
              shoot, shovel, forget.....
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                Warrior
                • Sep 2023

Actually I forgot about pellets. California lets you use lead if it's a pellet. I 'spose you could use those on rats. Thing about rats is they mostly come out at night.

You got me to thinking about all this 2A BS we're going through, and you're in VA. VA is a fairly moderate state, not as much as California, but I suspect the VA moderates have grabbed the reins on you folks.

What is going to be interesting is to see if the SCOTUS will back the 2A, and that goes for the lower courts as well, we can say we have a 2nd amendment, but if we don't honor it we don't have $#!T.
                From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

Working...
                X