• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garikfox
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2023

Does anyone ARC here?

Now that we all have Grendels, Do we buy a 6mm ARC too?

Only thing putting me off is...magazines...There's only one made specifically for the ARC it's the ASC with red follower, there's a MDT ARC magazine too but why would anyone spend 89 bucks for a 15rd magazine wow.

WC 6mm ARC 18", ATLAS S-ONE, AERO M4E1 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44mm
    CMMG 5.7x28mm 16", AERO X15 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, MEOPTA OPTIKA5 2-10x42mm
    RUGER-5.7 / GLOCK 43 / GLOCK 19 Gen5
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Yes. My 16" ARC has the same effective ballistics for target shooting as my 22" Grendel.

And you don't need to worry about getting new magazines. Just use your Grendel ones. That's what I do (I use 20 round Duramags).
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• garikfox
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2023

Nice! So my 18" Grendel would be pretty much same as the 16" ARC ?
      WC 6mm ARC 18", ATLAS S-ONE, AERO M4E1 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44mm

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Lots of info over on the 6mm ARC forum...
        I use The ASC and duramags too, 3 Arc's. Only slight mod I've done is to lower the front lip by about (IIRC) 0.120 or so with a dremel/file. Some rounds have had some issues of hitting or hanging up (case mouth edge) on the lip if it's not lowered, that's been my experience. But it's a quick and painless fix, for a $15 mag (I use 10 rounders).
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• garikfox
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2023

Would it be safe to assume the Grendel is more reliable?

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Assume=0 for anything like this!!! always.

ie, don't assume anything.
            The reliable rifle in your hands is one you have shot many, many times and it always goes bang, no matter what the circumstances.

edit to add, The (great) lion flick Ghost and the Darkness, with Michael Douglas, and Val Kilmer... you did see that one scene, right? Kilmer never proved the rifle (loaned to him) himself personally, almost got eaten by the lion...
            Last edited by grayfox; 06-04-2023, 07:37 PM.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• garikfox
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2023

Got it thanks, I have a long way to go.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by garikfox View Post
                Nice! So my 18" Grendel would be pretty much same as the 16" ARC ?
                An 18" Grendel would have the same flight characteristics as a 12" ARC before getting into the inefficiencies of short barrels.

I should have expanded earlier. I do a 105 grain RDF with a G7 of .280 with Varget at 2450 out of my 16" ARC. I've been doing a 123 gr Scenar with a G7 of .264 at 2450 out of my 22" Grendel with Shooters World Precision which is equivalent to Varget (slightly better in my opinion). The grendel has a tad more drop, but the added bullet weight makes wind drift virtually identical for practical purposes. [yes, i could do faster with both with a ball powder, but for match rifles in AZ I need temp insensitivity]. Both go subsonic within 50 yards of each other, but if I'm worried about that, I'm doing the 123 Scenar at 2850 with H4350 out of my 22" 6.5 CM . The grendel puts more energy on a target, but then again, it would put more energy on my shoulder if it was as light as my ARC.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

It's a cool round, but doesn't really excite me. I like .223 when I want a light bullet, and I like 6.5 Grendel when I want to do stuff when I hit stuff. 6mm ARC is a 1000 yard round in small frame AR15, which is cool. But I don't do 1000 yard target shooting. Grendel goes pretty far too, and hits hard when it gets there, amd really hard when it's atactual typical encounter distances. I just prefer the broader bullet face and mass when I hit stuff I guess. When I shoot 1000 yards, in my own world, rarely is that something done with a patrol weight small frame AR, and I prefer to run a heavier 6.5 CM which hits a lot harder at 1000 yards. And is a more stable platform, since 1000 yards is how far I'm shooting.

Not to bash 6mmARC, but personally I try to minimize caliber selection (and associated logistics). So for me, the 6.5 Family (Grendel and CM) and 5.56 covers pretty much everything of interest and the spectrum of my own usages.

Also, the .260 Rem / 6.8SPC etc observations have made me gunshy about adopting the latest headline release. And I learned a long time ago "military adopted" headlines are rarely as true as implied.

So to answer your question - for me: no.
                  4x P100

Comment

• garikfox
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2023

Thanks guys very interesting stuff thank you. From all this information I decided not to get a ARC because the two rounds are too similar to justify something I can't really afford i.e $1200+. I also will never shoot past 500yds so there's possibly another reason.

Comment

• garikfox
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2023

I have bad news I accidently bought the 6mm ARC, lol. Resistance was futile...

I bought 2 complete uppers, different brands. I'm just going to use the BCG and CH from the Grendel. Was only $900 for both. I couldn't resist...

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Welcome to the dark side. Tell us more!
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• garikfox
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2023

LOL I know right

Comment

• Fess
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post

Also, the .260 Rem / 6.8SPC etc observations have made me gunshy about adopting the latest headline release. And I learned a long time ago "military adopted" headlines are rarely as true as implied.
                            FWIW, the French Special forces use the .260 Rem. They had made the decision to go with a 6.5mm round before the Creedmoor became mainstream, so by the time the 6.5 CM became the darling it now is, they had already committed.

Comment

• SDguy
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by garikfox View Post
                              Now that we all have Grendels, Do we buy a 6mm ARC too?

Only thing putting me off is...magazines...There's only one made specifically for the ARC it's the ASC with red follower, there's a MDT ARC magazine too but why would anyone spend 89 bucks for a 15rd magazine wow.

Been over 2 years now for me. I have really liked the 6.5 Grendel in the CZ 527 action. Then I had a 6mm ARC barrel spun up to substitute for a 6.5 Grendel barrel. What can I say other than I like it. Have loaded bullets from 55 grains up to 115's and all have done quit well.

Three large whitetail deer have now been taken with my CZ 527 chambered in 6mm ARC. As of last fall. First season a 108 grain elite hunter was utilized at 254 laser verified yards. High shoulder resulted in a DRT result. Then last fall I opted for a Hammer 87 grain absolute hunter. Took the first doe at roughly 100 yards on that windy afternoon, with a heart lung broadside shot that resulted in a 80 yard death run. An hour later I spotted the 2nd doe standing up in her bed exposing a bit of her neck and all of her head at a hundred yards again. With the cross hairs at the base of her neck the trigger was touched. Back to bed she went, only to be hauled off to my freezer a short while later.

I am hooked on the 6mm ARC in a mini bolt action. CZ is my favorite. Though the Howa Mini seems to have potential as well.
                              Last edited by SDguy; 06-17-2023, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X