• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

What would you run?

Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-06-2023, 01:09 AM.
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Zen,
    This sounds like great fun.

C

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Been having dreams of running a small cased 6mm over 3000fps with bullets in the .500bc range. I don't think arc will get me there

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Any idea how big the smallest target is? I was messing around with QT for the fun of it using the Sierra 105gr Blitzking and 2830fps velocity and 50 degree temps.
        You could zero for 500m and 385m separate for those target stages.
        Then zero at 410m for the 500m-300m and aim center with a little over 3.3" high or low depending on the distance.
        Then zero at 295m for the 385m-200m targets and aim center with 2.5" high or low depending on the distance.

This was worked up in QT at 50 degrees so this data may be off as the temps might be lower and the fps lower on the day of the shoot which may change the trajectory.

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

Ping pong ball. Since I'm 2nd focal plane I'm going to dial the shortest of the 2 distances, then back off magnification so the 2nd crosshair aligns with 2nd target. Only thing to account for is wind. 40x zoom capability puts me at about 28x for 500 and 300m with the retice. I plan to keep track of it all by just coming prepared and using some good old fashioned tape and a marker

Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-06-2023, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

While this sounds like fun, here's hoping your squads are quite small "Match will be shot in 4 stages. 10 shot strings for record (one shot per designated target) All waiting to shoot will be silent during the 10 minute period of shooting.
            Time limit of 10 minutes per Stage. Shooter and Scorekeeper will go down and verify hits, then reset the targets.
            "

10 minutes PLUS going several hundred yards downrange to verify hits? That's going to be long day if there are more than 4 or 5 to a squad.

For gear, here's what I shoot at 600 yards quite nicely:

It's a 1/9 twist 20" Alexander HBAR 6.5 Grendel on a PSA kit on an Anderson lower with a LaRue 2-stage trigger, and a Primary Arms 2.5-10x GLX scope and a $21 Amazon bipod (I went fancy and spent the extra $4 for the graphite legs), and the scope is on a $26 UTG mount. This rig that outshoots my AR10 in 6.5CM every time at 600 yards and has shoot a 200-clean in more than one AR-tactical 600 yard mid-range match (when I read the wind correctly that is). I finally just sold the AR10.

I shoot 107 SMK's when shooting for score at 600 yards. Here's my label (it's hot, work up to it)

Alternatively, a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor will likely do even better, since it sounds like there's no competitor run and gun movement involved, but that this is more of a prone-match on a gong-range. If there were also CQB engagement aspects and this were more of action match, then I'd switch to the 14.5 pin & weld Grendel.
            4x P100

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I've got loads in 6Arc for my uintah, 22" barrel, 95 SMK, BC 0.480, 2858 with varget.
              Lever might get me 100 fps more but I haven't tried that, haven't had the need to right now.
              The 95 TMK is 0.500.

If there's no running/gunning, I would however, do my 6mm Creed.
              107 SMK 0.537 or so, 2955. But I'm not practiced enough to do that kind of comp.
              Good luck to ya!
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

The way the line is split up its in 2 sections. The 500+ 300 and 385 + 200. Each section has 5 positions each so in total there should be 10 shooters at the line at a time. No run and gun... no spotter also so self spot. This is where I think creedmoor will suffer vs grendel. I will miss, and so will everyone else there is no question to it. It's a matter of how to recover the data from the miss and I think maintaining sight picture to impact is key. With a small target and high magnification spotting the miss might be difficult if the rifle jumps at all, and the more powder available, the more likely it is to occur.

That 107 load is exactly what I'm looking for. I have the components in some abundance and not scared of a load that is a little hot. I have spare barrels and bolts counting on something to break eventually.

Also inspecting targets does not require walking out to them, we drive out in our cars with the line clear. Nobody wants to walk 1km then go shoot for fun. We keep it pretty relaxed
                Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-07-2023, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                  The way the line is split up its in 2 sections. The 500+ 300 and 385 + 200. Each section has 5 positions each so in total there should be 10 shooters at the line at a time. No run and gun... no spotter also so self spot. This is where I think creedmoor will suffer vs grendel. I will miss, and so will everyone else there is no question to it. It's a matter of how to recover the data from the miss and I think maintaining sight picture to impact is key. With a small target and high magnification spotting the miss might be difficult if the rifle jumps at all, and the more powder available, the more likely it is to occur.

That 107 load is exactly what I'm looking for. I have the components in some abundance and not scared of a load that is a little hot. I have spare barrels and bolts counting on something to break eventually.

Also inspecting targets does not require walking out to them, we drive out in our cars with the line clear. Nobody wants to walk 1km then go shoot for fun. We keep it pretty relaxed
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Only 1 way to find out, compare group sizes at 100 then 300 to see if a little more down range makes them open up, or tighten up. Per the rules... I should be able to use some gadgets. If I'm not allowed spotter feedback I do have a way to replay my last shot while on the line (from a watch no less!) Latest updates upped the playback frame rate and gave me full camera control

Some people might have an issue with this, but only because they aren't smart enough to think of it first then get it working.

So the 107s run mid 2900s from a creedmoor.... (looks at 28" krieger)
                    Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-08-2023, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

yeah, 107 6mm SMK, using 4451 or staball 6.5 or h4350 take your choice. I think I'm running staball in them, peterson brass, 2.745-ish and 2955, right at a node for 26" barrel.
                      Bergara makes a darn fine rifle in the mid 1400's for hmr with cheek adjust. I splurged (for me )
                      Not much reticle movement if any, last time I shot it, to 300 yds. Smack dab on the steel!
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                        Only 1 way to find out, compare group sizes at 100 then 300 to see if a little more down range makes them open up, or tighten up. Per the rules... I should be able to use some gadgets. If I'm not allowed spotter feedback I do have a way to replay my last shot while on the line (from a watch no less!) Latest updates upped the playback frame rate and gave me full camera control

Some people might have an issue with this, but only because they aren't smart enough to think of it first then get it working.

So the 107s run mid 2900s from a creedmoor.... (looks at 28" krieger)
                        ZE:

Wow!

Hope your fellow shooters see your post here and realize they weren't 'smart enough' to come up with your gadget first.

LR-55
                        Last edited by LR1955; 09-09-2023, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

Fellow shooters ignore grendel as inferior to the arc. I tend to disagree, though I haven't tried the arc personally.

Comment

Working...
                          X